2022/23 Idrissa Gana Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since he left, the main thing lacking in our play has been that secure link when going from back to front. It would take a whole post to list the players who have tried and failed. How many times last season did we see a terrible giveaway in the middle third of the pitch lead to an easy goal for the opponent?? I'm American, so I'd have to take off my shoes to count that high. Allen was more secure but had no pace to him. Gomes had more showmanship but was loose with the ball. Doucoure had the pace but his decision making in the middle third was poor at times and was prone to make an off pass forward. IGG is steady, with pace, and is a hunter. How many times did it seem a West Ham player may have gotten beyond him and then he swoops in and cleans up the play? IGG to Iwobi is a clear line from back to front and opens up the game for our forward thinking players to be just that. I don't think he is play can be understated. My clear MOTM last game and just so excited to see this squad move forward.

No! lol
I was just thinking we're getting a 2nd chance to replace him, better start looking now
He's so calm, reads it so well, must be so annoying to play against
Hopefully the young midfielders that we have are learning by training with him every day.

Gana will be class for a couple of seasons yet, and hopefully he can play on at the top level beyond that, but the youngsters in the squad need to absorb as much of his class as they can while he's in the squad.

Do you concede that Gana is at least better than Besic now though mate?

Post in thread 'Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022'
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/everton-summer-transfer-thread-2022.114419/post-9711401

I still worry about Gana on the ball. It was only last game that he mis controlled a pass to him, lost the ball and Benrahma hit the post. We were an inch away from Gueye undoing all of the team’s work through a bit of sloppy play.

I think all the midfield three are too sloppy on the ball. Gueye has got better than I remember him being but I’d still like to see him Iwobi and Onana cut more of the sloppy loose balls out.

I still worry about Gana on the ball. It was only last game that he mis controlled a pass to him, lost the ball and Benrahma hit the post. We were an inch away from Gueye undoing all of the team’s work through a bit of sloppy play.

I think all the midfield three are too sloppy on the ball. Gueye has got better than I remember him being but I’d still like to see him Iwobi and Onana cut more of the sloppy loose balls out.
Why worry about one incident amongst many great examples of him being very tidy with the ball?

You only see the results of mistakes when they happen. You don’t see the could-have-beens that were avoided thanks to him cutting balls out or playing the right pass just in time.

One asset of Gana (and Kante) that always stood out to me was spatial awareness - he can tell when someone is around him so needs to turn away. I'm not sure this can be taught; I think it is innate. I did think, watching him on Sunday, and watching the highlight reel above, that he appears to give other players more time, holding the ball till they have more space, or drawing the opponent away from them. That is down to experience, and ability to read the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.