2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he plays like this for most of season it wouldn’t be a stretch at all to call him world class, he’s ran the show pretty much every game this season

Probably our best player and 100% the one I look forward to watching every week. Can’t think of a bigger turnaround in football ever - it’s like if Oumar turned into a 25 goal a season striker

The results are in. Iwobi is now a leader in shutdowns and outages with a huge pair of turnarounds.

AmusedDecisiveAiredaleterrier-size_restricted.gif

When you look at the goal yesterday, it's all about Iwobi. He's the only one in the team that puts any weight into his passes, and when you play a pass as fast and accurate as he did to Gray in the build up, that's how you break through good defences.

What's even better is that he showed the brains to make space for the return pass. I always thought he was better than he was showing us, but I never thought the biggest improvement would be in his decision making.

….I always thought it was application that let him down, he played like it didn’t matter much to him. There was a through ball he played to Kean in an Anfield Derby that was a ‘that’ll do me’ moment. It was just the most subtle pass that demonstrated real vision. I never doubted his quality, just his application.

I think he’s really enjoying his footy and his form will continue whilst he’s in that zone.

He has gone from my least favourite player. To my favourite, in a year. Although, he did have a good start last season, when we got some results. He won me over, when he was working his socks off at wingback, but I never thought he had the skill he is showing now.

Whoever, decided to move him into the middle is a football genius. Frank will get the plaudits, for it but looks like we have a very good backroom staff.

I was very critical of him after the West Ham game at home last season. That day he continually limited Lucas Digne's options by running back down the line or heading into traffic in the centre when Digne was looking to launch him forward up the wing and stretch the play. I think playing more centrally suits him because it makes the most of his engine and simplifies his decision-making, which has boosted his confidence and self-belief. I think it would be a mistake to move him wide again.

I was very critical of him after the West Ham game at home last season. That day he continually limited Lucas Digne's options by running back down the line or heading into traffic in the centre when Digne was looking to launch him forward up the wing and stretch the play. I think playing more centrally suits him because it makes the most of his engine and simplifies his decision-making, which has boosted his confidence and self-belief. I think it would be a mistake to move him wide again.

He's undoubtedly a centre midfielder now mate

….I always thought it was application that let him down, he played like it didn’t matter much to him. There was a through ball he played to Kean in an Anfield Derby that was a ‘that’ll do me’ moment. It was just the most subtle pass that demonstrated real vision. I never doubted his quality, just his application.

I think he’s really enjoying his footy and his form will continue whilst he’s in that zone.

Weird thought I just had, his career has basically been the reverse trajectory of Dele Ali.

Status
Not open for further replies.