Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on the Gilmour front. I actually think he’s a quality player in the right setup.

We did get Gana & Garner for 10m combined which is peanuts in todays game. One is still our best tackler and could be a Barry type signing, the other was in the Champs team of the season so judging on last seasons performance alone is streets ahead of the pocket sized Scot.

But yeah I’m sure people here have lauded brightons recruitment plans and simultaneously knocked Gilmour as dreadful… well one of those is going to be proved wrong this year - I don’t think it’ll be Brighton's recruitment

We obviously had to make decision between Gilmour and Garner mate, i think that is one of the interesting analysis points, we were sure we would snag someone from Chelsea and we have been crying out for a deep lying playmaker, given Franks history with Billy, there was a lot to suggest we would be in strong for him.

Its interesting to deconstruct that, could be that we think Garner is a better option, albeit he was more expensive.

Could be Chelsea had us on the bold step after the Gordon saga.

There seems to be a natural synergy to Brighton and Chelsea this season, with player trading, that sometimes eases things.

Personally i think it came down to set pieces, Garner offers us that, were Billy less so.

Im a big Billy Gilmour fan as well mate, rate him very highly.

Last edited:
A competing energetic midfield, we havent had one in years.
Centre half options that look stronger than i can remember for a long long time even though we currently have 3 injured.
Gordon and Iwobi coming on leaps and bounds since last season, a season Dom was hardly fit and Richy only got out of bed after Christmas, when we were managed by the most toxic appointment in the clubs history.
Yet the same posters are on here 24/7 damning the club.
Yeah it wouldve been great if we could have replaced Richy but thats easier said than done.
The names getting thrown around Diaz/Chuk etc imo were underwhelming, Diaz as i dont think he would cut the mustard off the left in the PL, Chuk as i dont see when/how he has ever shown he would be worth even half the figure being quoted.
We've signed a large number of players under Thelwell, its up to Frank now to implement a system that fits with how he wants us to play, he was fire fighting the end of last season.
I for one feel a lot better about the quality in the squad, and even more so the strength of character we have now.
But, we need to win a game of football in the very near future to give the whole club confidence.

The usual 20 point benchmark by Christmas probably has to be adjusted this year. 13 or 14 could be enough to be out of the bottom 3 because of the break. The league only resumes on boxing day
In the cold light of day this is probably the logic behind not making any desperate deadline day moves - we’ll already be 6 games in by the time any could play and the World Cup alters the games played before the next window. Obviously the period before the WC is still vital but maybe it’s the right conclusion to go into Jan with some money in hand rather than lash 15m at a player like Ben Brereton Díaz who we clearly weren’t that convinced by, plus some loans to play with.

The usual 20 point benchmark by Christmas probably has to be adjusted this year. 13 or 14 could be enough to be out of the bottom 3 because of the break. The league only resumes on boxing day
There'll be the same amount of games though, give or take. They aren't having a lopsided back end of the season, the games are just packed in more this side of the break. We're scheduled to have played 17 games by the break, which is the same as we'd played on Christmas day last year, and more than the year before.

We obviously had to make decision between Gilmour and Garner mate, i think that one of the interesting analysis points, we were sure we would snag someone from Chelsea and we have been crying out for a deep lying playmaker, given Franks history with Billy, there was a lot to suggest we would be in strong for him.

Its interesting to deconstruct that, could be that we think Garner is a better option, albeit he was more expensive.

Could be Chelsea had us on the bold step after the Gordon saga.

There seems to be a natural synergy to Brighton and Chelsea this season, with player trading, that sometimes eases things.

Personally i think it came down to set pieces, Garner offers us that, were Billy less so.

Im a big Billy Gilmour fan as well mate, rate him very highly.

Think they both have the potential to be very good players (I actually think Gilmour has a good season at Brighton and he legit could be off to the continent for a champs league regular), I think if the situ was that we could choose one... we made the right choice as it stands.

I agree on the Gilmour front. I actually think he’s a quality player in the right setup.

We did get Gana & Garner for 10m combined which is peanuts in todays game. One is still our best tackler and could be a Barry type signing, the other was in the Champs team of the season so judging on last seasons performance alone is streets ahead of the pocket sized Scot.

But yeah I’m sure people here have lauded brightons recruitment plans and simultaneously knocked Gilmour as dreadful… well one of those is going to be proved wrong this year - I don’t think it’ll be Brighton's recruitment
I never understand this view of an obviously poor player. One cameo apearance against Liverpool aside he has been turd for two PL clubs.

I rate Potter, but I cant believe he's paid 10 million for that lad...a club like Brighton cant be wasting cash on that scale. The incoming cash from players sold must have gone to his head and the money was burning a hole in his pocket it seems.

That's one of the best things of this window for me: we kept clear of adding this bang average highly paid player who never ever delivers.

There'll be the same amount of games though, give or take. They aren't having a lopsided back end of the season, the games are just packed in more this side of the break. We're scheduled to have played 17 games by the break, which is the same as we'd played on Christmas day last year, and more than the year before.

Think it's 16 by the break and then two more before the window opens

Think they both have the potential to be very good players (I actually think Gilmour has a good season at Brighton and he legit could be off to the continent for a champs league regular), I think if the situ was that we could choose one... we made the right choice as it stands.
Gilmour has been bought to cover for the players coming back from the world cup. He will get some game time but it will only be from the bench at the moment, Brighton have hardly started with any of their new signings as of yet.

I never understand this view of an obviously poor player. One cameo apearance against Liverpool aside he has been turd for two PL clubs.

I rate Potter, but I cant believe he's paid 10 million for that lad...a club like Brighton cant be wasting cash on that scale. The incoming cash from players sold must have gone to his head and the money was burning a hole in his pocket it seems.

That's one of the best things of this window for me: we kept clear of adding this bang average highly paid player who never ever delivers.
Error. McNeill

Good for you and your opinions David, didn't you want to boot Gordon out the door after he flopped at Preston?

Brighton are one of, if not the, best run club in the PL and have one of, if not the, best recruitment teams in the PL as it stands.

If they see something you don't, I'm guessing it's there.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.