Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

The point is they would be better than Rondon, I find it hard to believe that they couldn’t be. Any loan for a forward at a club who have just bought a new striker would do surely? An injury to Maupey and Dominic Calvert-Lewin at the same time and we are back to square one
But we don’t know who was available and we don’t know if they would have been better than Rondon. And if we committed to a loan and then an actual proper target was available we’re stuck with a player on loan who won’t play. El Ghazi for example (although that was a weird one who so knows what went on).

I guess my point is, we will have been looking at many options but when funds are tight and loans are limited it’s not as simple as just saying “I can’t believe we haven’t used all the loans”.

We were never going to sign a ‘decent’ forward given our current situation. We haven’t had a truly ‘decent’ forward for many seasons, I’m talking high teens goals a season. Why would we suddenly attract one now in our current position? The squad now is much stronger than it was. Decent window in my opinion

Why are people acting like we didn’t sign Maupay the other day? Yeah it would’ve been nice to get another forward in but it’s not the end of the world that some are making it out to be.

Literally any forward we were planning on bringing in today was not a starter, that was never the plan. We’re not relying on Calvert Lewin by himself, Maupay, Gray and Gordon should quite comfrtoably be aiming for at least 6 goals each this season, plus whatever Calvert Lewin will get.

I swear some of you on here would prefer us to fail just so you could say “I told you so”. Club has made massive progress this summer in the market and if people try to act like Richarlison was some mythical being that can’t be replaced despite only scoring 2 more than Maupay last year then that’s up to you to cry about. Look at it this way, Maupay and McNeil or Richarlison and Rondon, becuase that’s basically what we’ve done, I think we’re better off now.

We’ll be absolutely fine. Last season we had a good goalkeeper, alright wingers and a good striker. Even if you say Maupay is the “starting” striker which he isn’t, he’s a downgrade, aside from Pickford literally every other area of the team has improved, massively in most places. If you can’t or won’t see that then you’re ignorant.

Our best 11 is better in a good 5-7 positions than is was last year and worse in just one. That’s progress.
Great post.

I think we're all underestimating what a change in formation could do for us too.

Now 4-3-3 is possible, it'll probably make a big difference for us controlling the game and breaking forward.

Based on our first few games we shouldn’t be half as leaky as we were last year. If we can squeeze some extra goals out of the collective then we should have our heads above water come Jan.

Of course, so much of that is coaching/management but that would be the case regardless.
I think we’ve improved 10x defensively and the midfield is getting better. I just do not see where the goals come from how we cover DCL when injured

Even Chukwueze, as much as I’d like him, doesn’t solve the issue of having one target man or focal point.

It’s just a huge gamble and none of us know for sure. But it doesn’t sit right for me with his injury record.

For me, it undermines all the rest of the good work DOF/recruitment team have done with Coady, Tarkowski, Gana, Onana, Garner, Maupay.

Status
Not open for further replies.