Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well, yet another Wolves player linked with Everton. I think everyone knows what you are buying in Coady. A leader and organiser, and a great guy to have around the dressing room. If Everton have plans to play a back 5 Coady is the perfect guy to organise it, in a back four his lack of pace will show. I have no idea what fee is being talked about, I'm not even sure what would be a reasonable fee? But to me this would be a great signing for Everton, a born leader, who will bring together the squad, and have a massive influence on squad mentality.

I will miss Coady's leadership and determination at wolves, But we are moving to a back four, with that in mind, it is the right time to move him on. But I truly wish him all the best.

Tarkowski and Coady - both established central defenders and both of whom were Club skippers. Reckon the pair of them playing alongside each other may be looking for trouble as they both vye for the role of Alpha male. Sincerely hope not but it could all end in tears.
That concern did cross my mind but tbh if they had the sort of alpha male ego that might make that an issue they probably wouldn’t have ended up skippering their respective clubs, as good leadership requires the opposite of selfishness. This little snippet here about Coady is a good example- didn’t sulk even when not playing and was still doing his bit in the dressing room.

At this point I'm not sure you can reasonably call it overkill. Without those 2 our centre back corps currently is Holgate, Keane and 18 yo Reece Welch. Whilst they clearly want to play 5 at the back.

We aren't getting a budding young player for less than we are paying for the loan fee on coady whilst Branthwaite is back next year. The only one that doesn't make sense talking about ages is Gueye given how bloated with crap our midfield already is
But we wouldn't be without both of them, we'd only be without one. I don't think many people expected us to sign another experienced centre half after Tarkowski and there's good reason for that.

Again, this isn't me saying it's a terrible signing or a disgrace or anything, just that i'm not particularly convinced it's necessary and doesn't really fit with the type of business i'd like the club to be doing. If he comes in and does a great job and helps the club push on to better things then he'll prove me wrong, wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

You obviously have not watched much football lately.

Everton were bad defensively last season. Mostly because of set pieces and injuries.

Wolves had a goalie that statistically was much better than all other goalkeepers in the league. Wolves' defence was terrible. Among the worst in the league. Probably worse than Everton's from open play.

When Wolves now are trying to fix their horrific defence, the first thing they did was to keep Coady away from the team. They spent big money to sign Nathan Collins, a 21 year old CD that spent last season on the Burnley bench. He wasn't a starter for a team that was relegated but has impressed this summer and will always keep Coady out of the starting eleven.

Coady might be a nice guy, I don't doubt him as a leader and it is a massive plus that he always seems to be available - but as a central defender there must be more than 100 players in the league that can do a better job than Coady.

And you're obviously a bit of a whopper because "injuries and set pieces" doesn't answer why we were the worst side for errors leading to goals last season and own goals.

As for Wolves horrific defence....they were the 5th best defence in the league last season, 12th the previous, 5th and 6th since they got promoted.

So you're chatting wham that when removing their club captain meant they improved defensively at any stage since they've been in the prem.

But no doubt you'll say it's 1 individual that's the reason why Wolves have a very good defence.

Oh well, yet another Wolves player linked with Everton. I think everyone knows what you are buying in Coady. A leader and organiser, and a great guy to have around the dressing room. If Everton have plans to play a back 5 Coady is the perfect guy to organise it, in a back four his lack of pace will show. I have no idea what fee is being talked about, I'm not even sure what would be a reasonable fee? But to me this would be a great signing for Everton, a born leader, who will bring together the squad, and have a massive influence on squad mentality.

I will miss Coady's leadership and determination at wolves, But we are moving to a back four, with that in mind, it is the right time to move him on. But I truly wish him all the best.
jeez mate! i almost don`t want him to sign for us after that ?

Only the top 4 conceded less goals than Wolves last season
I know. As mentioned, Jose Sa had a season we've hardly seen before in this league.

You should always be careful to only look at stats, but it is crazy to ignore them. Teams created a lot of chances against Wolves last season. That is a fact.

Under normal circumstances (Jose Sa not being Superman) they would have conceded a lot more. If xGA is used to measure the chances they gave up, Wolves' defence was 16th in the league (Everton were 11th).

Wolves goalkeeper's save percentage last season was 78. Everton's was 65.

Wolves sending Coady out loan loan is the equivalent of us selling Digne before sacking Raf
To me it’s one of them where if it all goes wrong and Lage gets sacked, it’ll be dead easy to turn round and say “the back 4 experiment failed, and we couldn’t even go back to a back 5 because we loaned our captain to a rival”. It might all go swimmingly for them of course, but if it doesn’t it could end up being a massive stick to beat him with.

But we wouldn't be without both of them, we'd only be without one. I don't think many people expected us to sign another experienced centre half after Tarkowski and there's good reason for that.

Again, this isn't me saying it's a terrible signing or a disgrace or anything, just that i'm not particularly convinced it's necessary and doesn't really fit with the type of business i'd like the club to be doing. If he comes in and does a great job and helps the club push on to better things then he'll prove me wrong, wouldn't be the first time it's happened.
I know the wheels were already in motion before Saturday but the club only has 3 fit centre halves as it stands and the manager wants to play a back 3/5. Another centre half was absolutely necessary and the reason we've probably gone for an experienced one is because normally they're A. Cheaper and B. Generally speaking better. If you sign a younger player you either have to give him loads of time to adapt and grow or shell out a ton of money. Neither of which we can really afford. I didn't want Coady but the DoF clearly likes him and he's got loads of prem experience.

In an ideal world we would have signed a player who's 20-26 but this is a world where we had to sell our best player before July 1st and now have 2 of our 4 centre halves out injured long term one game in whilst also needing money elsewhere for a striker. I'd rather get Coady in than do what Liverpool and Norwich did and gamble on a player like Kabak

I know. As mentioned, Jose Sa had a season we've hardly seen before in this league.

You should always be careful to only look at stats, but it is crazy to ignore them. Teams created a lot of chances against Wolves last season. That is a fact.

Under normal circumstances (Jose Sa not being Superman) they would have conceded a lot more. If xGA is used to measure the chances they gave up, Wolves' defence was 16th in the league (Everton were 11th).

Wolves goalkeeper's save percentage last season was 78. Everton's was 65.
Shots against, they were 10th. Which is also where they finished.

How do penalties feed into xGa? As they had 10 against them last season.

Is he whinging though, or is he just making an observation?

I know people find it really difficult to understand but not everything has to be wonderful or terrible. It’s perfectly fine to think the business this summer has been just ok, maybe some good some bad. You can think coast and tarkowski are good solid centre halves but that signing both might be overkill or that gana on a free would be great but gana for £10m might not be a good deal.
I like that 'coast' lad .

He'd definately shore things up at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.