Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim do you seriously not get how difficult it is for us to sign a quality striker at this moment in time?

I think everyone on here agrees with the need and the intent, but many are more realistic than you about the challenges we in particular face right now in doing that.

And if you want to prioritise getting a striker in above all else, then we wouldn't have signed anyone so far this window.

Just get some perspective.
I'm not saying it's easy but if we fail to do it then the consequences are quite easily relegation.

Yes I know, but the window goes on until the end of the month, so when you've got a fully fit striker and only play one up top, and have limited funds while needing to fix loads of other issues in the squad, you can absolutely see why they did what they did. And, for the record, it really does look like in an ideal world they wanted to have a forward in. But they also realised they needed a load of other players too and the forwards they targeted, they couldn't agree deals for. But again, that could change the longer the window went on. Now they have to shift tactic and that might have meant assessing other targets with a different budget.
Right but for me you don't sell Richarlison without at least an idea that you can secure your target before the season starts. I get the financial situation that we had to sell hm I get the signings don't always happen in the order we want for many reasons. But ultimately there needs to be a plan as Richy carried the team on his back attacking wise for large portions last season, it's a big risk to leave it this late for me they clearly have their eyes on someone whether that's Broja or another but for me bringing in a forward was a priority. Goals win games now we are going to struggle until we get goals in this team and as you said there's four games before the window shuts given we finished sixteenth we can't just give up on points.

He wanted to press Chelsea with pace that's what worked last season I don't think he's convinced Dele is mobile enough which makes him a bench option
You can see that but he wouldn't have been doing it if Dom was fit.

I do believe it was an error, even if just to get the best out of other players and to have that pace of Gordon and/or Gray to bring on in the second half.

Right but for me you don't sell Richarlison without at least an idea that you can secure your target before the season starts. I get the financial situation I get the signings don't always happen in the order we want for many reasons. But ultimately it's a big risk to leave it this late for me they clearly have their eyes on someone whether that's Broja or another but for me bringing in a forward was a priority. Goals win games now we are going to struggle until we get goals in this team and as you said there's four games before the window shuts given we finished sixteenth we can't just give up on points.
We had zero choice in selling Richarlison. It didn't matter if we'd lined up targets or not. He had to go when he went, or we'd be in for serious consequences.

It's a shambles all of their own making, but it is what it is.

Yet, in fairness to them, they did have targets lined up. MGW was close, they thought it was nearly done - there's a reason Gordon put it on his Insta story!!! Dennis was offered around, but we didn't nibble. Maybe they will though at some stage. Cornet was bid for, but again, up front fees...

So they did have some lined up going off 'credible links' they just didn't get them over the line for whatever reason.

We are also in the unenviable position of not just needing a goalscorer, but someone to actually create decent chances for that goalscorer to put away, because we hardly create anything of note tbh.

Seen we have been linked to Serhou Guirassy, 26 year old French forward from Rennes, he has 18 goals from 55 appearances for them, he’s a 6ft 2” target man, believed to be available for about €18m. It’s mentioned in the article that Ed may take him on loan with a guaranteed purchase next season, so we don’t have to pay anything this season.

He’s not the Rennes forward I’d be hoping for but maybe he’s the one we could afford. I’m still holding out hope for Terrier though as the same sort of people who were whispering Onana’s name have mentioned his too.

I'm not saying it's easy but if we fail to do it then the consequences are quite easily relegation.
But given the nature of the window, and the fact we have 3 more games to play until it closes, can you really not see the challenge we face getting the right striker in? Everyone else (nearly) can.

Striker is singularly the most difficult position to buy. We are up a gum tree with S&P. The deals we want to make will only materialise in the final days before the closing of the window.

If you accept all that, then get off your high horse about the club failing to act.

We had zero choice in selling Richarlison. It didn't matter if we'd lined up targets or not. He had to go when he went, or we'd be in for serious consequences.

It's a shambles all of their own making, but it is what it is.

Yet, in fairness to them, they did have targets lined up. MGW was close, they thought it was nearly done - there's a reason Gordon put it on his Insta story!!! Dennis was offered around, but we didn't nibble. Maybe they will though at some stage. Cornet was bid for, but again, up front fees...

So they did have some lined up going off 'credible links' they just didn't get them over the line for whatever reason.

We are also in the unenviable position of not just needing a goalscorer, but someone to actually create decent chances for that goalscorer to put away, because we hardly create anything of note tbh.
I get we had to sell him for financial reasons but the plan needed to be to secure a forward. I also get they were trying its not that easy with deal structures but there are ways also loaning out all our youth(whether they are ready or not )and leaving ourselves with Rondon as back up is strange to me. I agree I would have started Dele by the way I am just thinking of the reasons Lamps didn't. The thing is though excuses wont bring us points. As you say we still need creativity and goals if we don't do it that's on the club I won't be making any excuses for these clowns who constantly make bad decisions with appointments and recruitments on and off the field.

But given the nature of the window, and the fact we have 3 more games to play until it closes, can you really not see the challenge we face getting the right striker in? Everyone else (nearly) can.

Striker is singularly the most difficult position to buy. We are up a gum tree with S&P. The deals we want to make will only materialise in the final days before the closing of the window.

If you accept all that, then get off your high horse about the club failing to act.
I'm not on a high horse. I'm of the opinion we are prioritising the wrong positions and have no realistic chance of winning football matches in this league until we strengthen the front line.

Nowhere have I said it will be easy. But if it was easy, then any of us could work in football.

I'm not on a high horse. I'm of the opinion we are prioritising the wrong positions and have no realistic chance of winning football matches in this league until we strengthen the front line.

Nowhere have I said it will be easy. But if it was easy, then any of us could work in football.

Sorry but you are. You're missing the point too. The point is we can't prioritise the striker position (in terms of making it our first signing) because it's notoriously the hardest to fill. So if we did that, then we wouldn't have signed anyone so far. Just because we haven't signed a striker first, it doesn't mean we aren't prioritising that. The reality of the window is that we can't do that until the end.

Really not sure why you can't see that.

Seen we have been linked to Serhou Guirassy, 26 year old French forward from Rennes, he has 18 goals from 55 appearances for them, he’s a 6ft 2” target man, believed to be available for about €18m. It’s mentioned in the article that Ed may take him on loan with a guaranteed purchase next season, so we don’t have to pay anything this season.

26 yo and 1 in 3 in France. I know we're getting desperate for a forward but those stats are pretty underwhelming. He's very likely to struggle in the premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.