Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
If gray had got 9 goals in 26 games. You’d be saying he did more than alright. Some of our fans have him as player of the year and he went missing for 4 months.

I’m not saying Cornet is a world beater, but he’s a good option to kick us into that group of teams battling for Europe. And 17mil Is a decent price
Anyone that has Gray as player of the year has a weird opinion. Cornet is a good player, but I think we’ve seen his ceiling. He’d do as good a job as a Gray or Townsend signing and they’re probably worth 15m so I get what you’re saying but I’d just rather we signed someone who could really kick on and be special.

If we signed Cornet and stopped playing Gordon who could be special one day, that would be a bad move for me, even if Cornet might contribute more next season than Gordon.

Anyone that has Gray as player of the year has a weird opinion. Cornet is a good player, but I think we’ve seen his ceiling. He’d do as good a job as a Gray or Townsend signing and they’re probably worth 15m so I get what you’re saying but I’d just rather we signed someone who could really kick on and be special.

If we signed Cornet and stopped playing Gordon who could be special one day, that would be a bad move for me, even if Cornet might contribute more next season than Gordon.

I don't see us signing anyone whose gonna get in Gordon's way, think Lampard will see him as a very important part of the first 11 next season.

I don't see us signing anyone whose gonna get in Gordon's way, think Lampard will see him as a very important part of the first 11 next season.
That’s why I’m not sure about signing Cornet though. If he’s not replacing Gordon is he replacing Richarlison? That would be devastating.

And if he’s being signed as a squad option then he feels like a waste of money when we already have Richarlison, Gordon, Gray, Townsend.

Will all depend who leaves I guess.

The links to Johnson and the lad at Hull plus the links to younger Chelsea players kind of suggest we are looking to build a core of 21-23 yo players who can push the team on over a period of a few seasons as they develop together.

Mykolenko and Patterson both fit into that model too, it's a reason I see Gordon as a player who completely fits what we seem to be trying to build. Would be insane to not have him as a key part of the team when he's already here

Pretty much agree - I half expect that we will target someone 'like' Barry - Lampard wanted Rice (before he really kicked on) at Chelsea, so it highlights the kind of player profile he wants fur that role, be interesting to see who we target in that position especially as feel it's crucial to get that right and have experience there especially if we go with a lot of younger options in other recruitment.

We don't really have a defensive midfielder in the squad. Delph was the closest we had. He obviously doesn't fancy Gbamin, I saw some links to Paulina at Sporting. I could see that being a position where a bit of experience is added.

He sort of tried Van der Beek and Gomes there, and it didn't work.

The links to Johnson and the lad at Hull plus the links to younger Chelsea players kind of suggest we are looking to build a core of 21-23 yo players who can push the team on over a period of a few seasons as they develop together.

Mykolenko and Patterson both fit into that model too, it's a reason I see Gordon as a player who completely fits what we seem to be trying to build. Would be insane to not have him as a key part of the team when he's already here
Yeah that’s what I’m saying, which is why I don’t see the point in spending money on Cornet - I’d rather be looking at center backs, defensive midfielders and creative midfielders

That’s why I’m not sure about signing Cornet though. If he’s not replacing Gordon is he replacing Richarlison? That would be devastating.

And if he’s being signed as a squad option then he feels like a waste of money when we already have Richarlison, Gordon, Gray, Townsend.

Will all depend who leaves I guess.

I don't think we will sign him mate, think it's just a name being linked, Johnson on the other hand I think is genuine.

Who leaves you're right will massively impact things.

If DCL goes do we buy a forward or switch Richy there and bring in a wide player for his role etc.

It is a squad game too. I suspect it will be 1 we go for, but they have different profiles really. Johnson is best as a left winger or a central striker. Keane Potter looks better playing off the right or in a more of a number 10 role. He is probably more "like for like" in terms of Gordon, whereas Johnson seems a bit more like Richarlison.

I still think we may sell 2 of Richarlison, DCL and Gray.

Gordon will be essential. He may move to playing more centrally or deeper too, but I imagine Lampard will be working very hard with him at goal conversion.

Yeah that’s what I’m saying, which is why I don’t see the point in spending money on Cornet - I’d rather be looking at center backs, defensive midfielders and creative midfielders

Cornet I see as a bit of a like for like replacement to Richarlison for a lot less money. He's only 25 too.

Oh one million percent we will have that position top of priority alongside a leader at the back type (which Tarkowski obviously is the main target for that role), I'm not concerned atm as think exactly who we go for will depend on what other midfielders were able to get in earlier.

I'm guessing the links to Johnson are about addressing the other need you mention about a wide forward with end product. But also Deli is pretty much that type too in the number 10 role.

We have looked at our best, when Delph could play. He can't be relied upon and it's probably best he was let go. But it shows what a difference a player like that is for this side. You look at that United game, and he played with his slippers on and just eased us through the game.

It’s okay to have a bigger squad so We can rotate and rest players like Gordan. He’s still young so shouldn’t flog him

Loan with a option

Rondons place will just be taken by Simms mate, Gray and Richy not seen anything more than speculation about either - Richy we have this with every season.

If a clubs linked with two players of a very very similar profile in terms if age/position/playing style. The common sense tells you that it's likely that they are two options the clubs choosing between for one area they want to improve

Their ages are the same however their playing styles are different.

Not to mention them playing in different positions.

Yes I agree.

2 of those players fit into the young, hungry players with really good domestic experience. I have my doubts about Keane-Lewis Potter on price, as I don't think we will go to 30m. He has 2 years left on a (well 1 with a club option 1) so it may be we sort of tap him up this summer for a deal next year which will be cheaper. One was to smooth it, may be to offer them Dobbin on loan, as a close like for like replacement.

Our major issue though, is buying young players for the future is great, but there's also the contradiction for the here and now. If we are losing experienced players (and I still think DCL/Richarlison may go) we have the massive concern of relegation. This season has shown, with a few things coming together, it can be a very real prospect. You lose a lot of experience, a few injuries kick in etc it will always be a danger for us. That's partially what I see a signing like Tarkowski to be. An insurance policy, for a young manager, young squad in a league where 3 teams go down. He knows the league, plays most of the games and is very good off set pieces. Essentially ticks the boxes that need ticking. It's not even a big initial outlay on fee. We have to pay him more than we might want wages, but you look at the wages going off, and it gives us a bit of wriggle room. Plus these younger players will not be on mega money initially.

It sounds a bit dramatic, but it's a bit like Reid/Gray in the 80's with a young squad. Just gave it the missing ingredient.

What is also good is that we have a niche. Probably our biggest competitor would have been Gerrard, same sort of pull, at a big club, with money to spend. He seems to be going for more experienced players, which seems to negate his pull, but frankly work in our favour. I know there's Viera at Palace, but we are a bigger club, and think Lampard is probably more known for playing younger players. We can also pay more money (though we have to be careful about that in future).

You look at the work Lampard has done, improvements to Iwobi, Mykolenko, Gordon, (to a degree) Holgate. The introduction of Welch and Price. Getting Richarlison back on track. The answer is clearly to keep feeding him younger players to work with. But you do need a couple of decent senior pro's to help that process. It's no coincidence, we looked better when we got Delph, Allan, Mina etc on the pitch. You need to have that balance in certain games.
Lampard should be an attraction.

We do need experience at low cost which is why Tarkowski is a no brainer.

If just Kean and Gray left then we'd see £35-40mil i suspect. Thats perhaps only £10mil away from signing both players without the need to sell DCL/Richarlison.

Tarkowski on a free as well and were 2-3 more players away from transforming the team.
It is a squad game too. I suspect it will be 1 we go for, but they have different profiles really. Johnson is best as a left winger or a central striker. Keane Potter looks better playing off the right or in a more of a number 10 role. He is probably more "like for like" in terms of Gordon, whereas Johnson seems a bit more like Richarlison.

I still think we may sell 2 of Richarlison, DCL and Gray.

Gordon will be essential. He may move to playing more centrally or deeper too, but I imagine Lampard will be working very hard with him at goal conversion.

Johnson RW/CF
KLP LW/ACM

Those two with Gordon in the squad (perhaps also Dobbin) would be a new wave of players for the long term.

I hope we can do it.

It’s okay to have a bigger squad so We can rotate and rest players like Gordan. He’s still young so shouldn’t flog him

Gordon also struggles to last a full 90 minutes. Once he hits 70 minutes his effectiveness wanes massively.

Having him and Cornet rotating would give us options with Richarlison and Gray rotating on the left.

Townie to then be used as emergency cover only / in the early cup rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.