Status
Not open for further replies.
George Michael
James Tarkowski - Matt Law
Brennan Johnson - Miguel Delaney
Keane Lewis-Potter - El bobble
Maxwell Cornet - Mike McGrath

Andrew Ridgeley
Gavin Bazunu - Daniel McDonnell ** Cameron Carter-Vickers - Larry Henry Jr ** Jack Harrison - Graeme Bailey ** Valentin Castellanos - tuttomercatoweb ** Conor Gallagher - Dean Jones ** Armando Broja - Dean Jones ** Miguel Almiron - Roberto Rojas ** Levi Colwill - Ekrem Konur ** Eric Ramires - SportsWitness ** Joao Palhinha - RecordPT ** Chris Maxwell - LancsLive ** Cheick Doucoure - Charlie Parker-Turner **
Alex Scott - Football Insider

If we can get KLP + Johnson for £50mil + bring in Gallagher on a permanent or with an option to buy than thats very positive business and I think we'd all be very excited.
Loan with a option
The anomaly in your point is that Gray, Rondon and Richarlison have been linked with moves.

KLP can play LW/ACM and while Johnson has mostly played RW he's also been used at CF recently.

With those two covering multiple positions and Lampard needing to focus on us scoring more goals then both signings make perfect sense.

Gallagher really should have an option at worst case. Even if its a large amount he could be transformative for the midfield. Just loans for him and/or Colwill would be disappointing without an option.

Rondons place will just be taken by Simms mate, Gray and Richy not seen anything more than speculation about either - Richy we have this with every season.

If a clubs linked with two players of a very very similar profile in terms if age/position/playing style. The common sense tells you that it's likely that they are two options the clubs choosing between for one area they want to improve

The links to both Johnson and Tarkowski show that we st least seem to have identified two major issues in the squad.

Lack of leadership and lack of goals from wide/midfield.

Gives optimism that we might actually have a worked out recruitment plan this season for a change

Yes I agree.

2 of those players fit into the young, hungry players with really good domestic experience. I have my doubts about Keane-Lewis Potter on price, as I don't think we will go to 30m. He has 2 years left on a (well 1 with a club option 1) so it may be we sort of tap him up this summer for a deal next year which will be cheaper. One was to smooth it, may be to offer them Dobbin on loan, as a close like for like replacement.

Our major issue though, is buying young players for the future is great, but there's also the contradiction for the here and now. If we are losing experienced players (and I still think DCL/Richarlison may go) we have the massive concern of relegation. This season has shown, with a few things coming together, it can be a very real prospect. You lose a lot of experience, a few injuries kick in etc it will always be a danger for us. That's partially what I see a signing like Tarkowski to be. An insurance policy, for a young manager, young squad in a league where 3 teams go down. He knows the league, plays most of the games and is very good off set pieces. Essentially ticks the boxes that need ticking. It's not even a big initial outlay on fee. We have to pay him more than we might want wages, but you look at the wages going off, and it gives us a bit of wriggle room. Plus these younger players will not be on mega money initially.

It sounds a bit dramatic, but it's a bit like Reid/Gray in the 80's with a young squad. Just gave it the missing ingredient.

What is also good is that we have a niche. Probably our biggest competitor would have been Gerrard, same sort of pull, at a big club, with money to spend. He seems to be going for more experienced players, which seems to negate his pull, but frankly work in our favour. I know there's Viera at Palace, but we are a bigger club, and think Lampard is probably more known for playing younger players. We can also pay more money (though we have to be careful about that in future).

You look at the work Lampard has done, improvements to Iwobi, Mykolenko, Gordon, (to a degree) Holgate. The introduction of Welch and Price. Getting Richarlison back on track. The answer is clearly to keep feeding him younger players to work with. But you do need a couple of decent senior pro's to help that process. It's no coincidence, we looked better when we got Delph, Allan, Mina etc on the pitch. You need to have that balance in certain games.

Yes I agree.

2 of those players fit into the young, hungry players with really good domestic experience. I have my doubts about Keane-Lewis Potter on price, as I don't think we will go to 30m. He has 2 years left on a (well 1 with a club option 1) so it may be we sort of tap him up this summer for a deal next year which will be cheaper. One was to smooth it, may be to offer them Dobbin on loan, as a close like for like replacement.

Our major issue though, is buying young players for the future is great, but there's also the contradiction for the here and now. If we are losing experienced players (and I still think DCL/Richarlison may go) we have the massive concern of relegation. This season has shown, with a few things coming together, it can be a very real prospect. You lose a lot of experience, a few injuries kick in etc it will always be a danger for us. That's partially what I see a signing like Tarkowski to be. An insurance policy, for a young manager, young squad in a league where 3 teams go down. He knows the league, plays most of the games and is very good off set pieces. Essentially ticks the boxes that need ticking. It's not even a big initial outlay on fee. We have to pay him more than we might want wages, but you look at the wages going off, and it gives us a bit of wriggle room. Plus these younger players will not be on mega money initially.

It sounds a bit dramatic, but it's a bit like Reid/Gray in the 80's with a young squad. Just gave it the missing ingredient.

What is also good is that we have a niche. Probably our biggest competitor would have been Gerrard, same sort of pull, at a big club, with money to spend. He seems to be going for more experienced players, which seems to negate his pull, but frankly work in our favour. I know there's Viera at Palace, but we are a bigger club, and think Lampard is probably more known for playing younger players. We can also pay more money (though we have to be careful about that in future).

You look at the work Lampard has done, improvements to Iwobi, Mykolenko, Gordon, (to a degree) Holgate. The introduction of Welch and Price. Getting Richarlison back on track. The answer is clearly to keep feeding him younger players to work with. But you do need a couple of decent senior pro's to help that process. It's no coincidence, we looked better when we got Delph, Allan, Mina etc on the pitch. You need to have that balance in certain games.

Pretty much agree - I half expect that we will target someone 'like' Barry - Lampard wanted Rice (before he really kicked on) at Chelsea, so it highlights the kind of player profile he wants fur that role, be interesting to see who we target in that position especially as feel it's crucial to get that right and have experience there especially if we go with a lot of younger options in other recruitment.

For me the 2 critical positions we are missing is a Barry/Carsley type to sit deep organise and control the midfield. Not seeing us linked with anybody of this ilk. The other is a number 10 wide forward option with intelligence, creativity and set piece ability. Eriksen would be ideal but will have better options

From an interview with Gallacher whilst on loan at Charlton a few seasons ago.

The Surrey-born teenager - a Blues fan - grew up idolising the midfielder, who is the club's all-time leading scorer with 211 goals.
After he featured under Lampard in pre-season, Gallagher is now seeing the former England international giving first-team opportunities to fellow academy graduates Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount and Fikayo Tomori.
"I think it is about time that a manager came in and did that with the Chelsea youngsters," said Gallagher.
"Mason, Tammy and Fikayo have been Chelsea's best players at the start of the season. It shows that if you give more youngsters a chance they can perform.
"I hope one day I can work under Frank, because I think he has a lot to teach me.
"He scored loads of goals and I try to play my game like him, in terms of being box-to-box, scoring goals and making assists. It is how I aspire to be."
24F8A3BE-1577-4BC8-AE48-71BD5B2D427D.jpeg

For me the 2 critical positions we are missing is a Barry/Carsley type to sit deep organise and control the midfield. Not seeing us linked with anybody of this ilk. The other is a number 10 wide forward option with intelligence, creativity and set piece ability. Eriksen would be ideal but will have better options

Oh one million percent we will have that position top of priority alongside a leader at the back type (which Tarkowski obviously is the main target for that role), I'm not concerned atm as think exactly who we go for will depend on what other midfielders were able to get in earlier.

I'm guessing the links to Johnson are about addressing the other need you mention about a wide forward with end product. But also Deli is pretty much that type too in the number 10 role.

Status
Not open for further replies.