2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I don't have an issue with him overhauling immediately is the academy and youth set up, because it couldn't do much worse.
You don't overhaul academies immediately.

One of the few thing Brands did right, or was allowed to do, was to clear a lot of bottlenecks in there as the U23 were swamped with very high earning players with seemingly no first team potential. He was also finally able to tell Unsworth to stop looking for PL2 titles, concentrate on moving younger players through into the U23s and tell him to play to a fixed system modelled on a longer term plan for graduating players.

We may not see the fruits of that for a year or two but ripping up and starting that particular plan won't achieve much.

His reaction when Gray's goal went in yesterday. That's kind of damning you know. Maybe he was just relieved, maybe he felt it undeserved, or maybe he's already been told he is finished?
It was just one of 38 premier league games we won yesterday, not as if we won an Fa cup or Champions league. That result will count for nothing if next week we revert back to the way we have been playing since September.

The Bundesliga has brought through lots of good CBs that slotted in over here. I lost touch with it this season because of BT Sport ditching it.
Brooks is a weird one.

Had some shockers but then was great last season alongside Lacroix (may have spelt that wrong). Not sure how he’s got on this season

His reaction when Gray's goal went in yesterday. That's kind of damning you know. Maybe he was just relieved, maybe he felt it undeserved, or maybe he's already been told he is finished?
I thought it was a great reaction.. it was like he was telling players to calm down with his hand gestures.. how often have we conceded not long after scoring.. calm heads needed.

If we start the next game playing 4-4-2 with Townsend up front it’ll show he hasn’t learned anything from last night and that it was in fact a fluke.
This, basically

Even if Gomes isn’t fit to start (and I don’t rate him starting games, he’s just too slow) there’s no reason not to go 433

If he’s so adverse to playing Gbamin, then just have Delph sitting and push Allan on.

Allan had a good game going forward yesterday. That pass through to Doucoure for Richarlison’s second disallowed goal was quality. He’s better freed up to do things like hassle and press and play forward passes. Delph is fine (relatively speaking) if just asked to sit. And you have that platform then to have a proper front three

The reaction of a man who now knows he is firmly in charge and that goal cemented that.

I think he is now in the strongest position since he came to the club.

The way he’s cutting through them like a stalinesque purge he’ll get that percentage up in no time .
I think it is a lot higher than 0% and was before last nights win.

The victory was just one game and won’t change a lot of fans thinking of him, even if we make steady progress in the future they will stick to the blinkered image they have of him and that view is highlighted, to them, that he was once Liverpool’s manager and made a remark about Everton. A lot of these fans are intelligent people too, amazing!!

You don't overhaul academies immediately.

One of the few thing Brands did right, or was allowed to do, was to clear a lot of bottlenecks in there as the U23 were swamped with very high earning players with seemingly no first team potential. He was also finally able to tell Unsworth to stop looking for PL2 titles, concentrate on moving younger players through into the U23s and tell him to play to a fixed system modelled on a longer term plan for graduating players.

We may not see the fruits of that for a year or two but ripping up and starting that particular plan won't achieve much.
Is there anyway we can return to a "reserve team" set up, apologies but I havent followed much of the u23 set up for a good while, in fact since we had a barnstormer under Unsworth a good few years back IIRC?

Dont know if a "reserve team" fits in with current Prem league set up, but back in the day the reserve team was effectively a "mirror" image of the 1st Team and as such players could just slot right in when needed, I know this is a bit "dinosaur mentality" of me in terms of getting "with the modern game" but is it even a possibility?

We have very rarely seen this U23 set up pay us true dividends, in terms of progress to the 1st Team so its just a thought? Maybe a ridiculous one! It used to be effective though.

Status
Not open for further replies.