2021/22 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
At his best he's composed, shields the ball amazingly well and is not easily forced into a back or sideways crab pass like a lot of our squad, more times than not however, he's a ghost on the pitch, end of the day that's why Barcelona signed him and then sold him, I'd want to keep him as a squad player, he forces his way in or accepts the role

At the very least it's great to see him delivering on the pitch again after a long period out, and perfect timing too with the busy christmas / new year period. He'll do well for us against teams where he'll have more time on the ball - thinking he could start in the upcoming games against the likes of Burnley or Newcastle to give Allan or Doucs a rest.

But id argue what changed it was having a third person in there. I distinctly remember Gomes making two stupid fouls, being weak on the ball and playing safe/negative after coming on. However we did have more bodies in the middle and be able to use the ball more.

Credit where it’s due for the winner he kept it well and chose a good pass, but it shouldn’t paper of the cracks.

Changing to a three made the difference for me, not gomes. He will be his usual, slow, average self soon enough.

Both a credit and a criticism of Benitez that be made the change but hasn’t yet realised we need to start that way.
The we have been missing an extra midfielder like him for an age ......

Looked decent when he came on, but I've said it loads about him 1 good game then 6nor 7 poor, hopefully he can get some form together

Great to see that last night. Let’s hope he can stay fit now. We can’t rely on Allan & Doucoure to play 90 minutes every game. He’s a great option to come off the bench & close out games.

Great to see that last night. Let’s hope he can stay fit now. We can’t rely on Allan & Doucoure to play 90 minutes every game. He’s a great option to come off the bench & close out games.
Not if you take off either of those. He works well in a 3 but would be potentially more exposed with him palying instead or Allan or Doucoure.

When DCL is back we can play the 3 of them. Rondon not mobile or good enough to play on his own. Presumably this is why we're persisting with 2 in the middle.

Exactly we need three in there he created our winner, in the build up - he has that touch of class & guile a playmaker.'....
When he gets fully fit he may save us ......in a three man midfield......
Sorry pal but you're getting carried away. Gomes has proven time after time to not be up to it. He did well for the goal, that is it, not spectacular. A good midfielder should be making that pass comfortable with tidy footwork.

He will stink the place out again soon enough and everyone whos getting ahead of themselves will be brought back down to earth.

At the very least it's great to see him delivering on the pitch again after a long period out, and perfect timing too with the busy christmas / new year period. He'll do well for us against teams where he'll have more time on the ball - thinking he could start in the upcoming games against the likes of Burnley or Newcastle to give Allan or Doucs a rest.
I think it depends on what you mean by time on the ball. He will get plenty of time on the ball against Newcastle, up until thirty yards from goal, when they will pack their lines. I think Gomes shines against the better teams who commit men forward, leaving him the space to work in the final third.

Agreed. People getting carried away. He will continue to be a passenger for most games he plays. He did very well for the winner, but take that away then the what changed the game was having an extra body in the middle and not specifically Gomes. People raving about him as if he came on and ran the game. He did OK at best.

He will have another crap game soon and all those saying class etc will be brought down to earth like we always do!

I just don’t see what others do with him. He does so little 90% of the time.
Cry some more at an Everton player having a good game

Status
Not open for further replies.