2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get your point, but even using those examples, Perez went for 30 million to Leicester on the back of his Newcastle form. Longstaff was on United’s radar for a massive price before his injury.

I don’t think Benitez would go for those players now, he’d try and find the next ones we could develop up hopefully.

Gray and Townsend have been good additions and what the squad needed. He’s got a far better idea now what the players are like and what’s needed. He can’t really do worse than what’s happened before, lets just let him get on with it now and judge him when it happens.
He definitely does want Longstaff mate. Was on the phone to him all summer. Newcastle were interested in Davies which could have freed up that move to happen just in terms of funds. I think we'll go in for him as doesn't look like Howe wants him. I just think it's a very meh addition but we'll wait. If it allows us to play 433 then at least it's a start though not sure Longstaff is a sitter any more than Allan is.

The really important thing was he was able to get a performance tonight. As long as he can do that every so often, he'll buy time to continue his reign of terror. James, Donachie the physio guy, Brands... He's only warming up. This club has been way too cosy for way too long. I hope he burns that culture to the ground in his time here.
The coaching staff need seeing off for sure.

He definitely does want Longstaff mate. Was on the phone to him all summer. Newcastle were interested in Davies which could have freed up that move to happen just in terms of funds. I think we'll go in for him as doesn't look like Howe wants him. I just think it's a very meh addition but we'll wait. If it allows us to play 433 then at least it's a start though not sure Longstaff is a sitter any more than Allan is.

deffo is a meh

Oh and they've really been creating all sorts of chances lately haven't they?

I mean, firstly, because of injuries, perhaps, though even then that's up for debate, Gray and Townsend have both been playing central a lot lately. So they haven't been playing as wingers. Gordon can't cross, so that's all of our crossing options not playing where they can cross. Our other 'winger' has been Iwobi, who is the only one who should play central, if he plays at all.

So while those wingers weren't playing in a position where they can cross, then our best crosser in the squad should probably have been given the freedom to attack, shouldn't he?
Think you missed my point. I am saying Digne is only suitable for a winger job because he cannot defend. Maybe Benitez told him to stay back more due to gaping holes left by him when trying to go forward at the wrong time. He has been a defensive liability for a good while now but if he is there he will have a better chance of a tackle than being stranded up front

I get your point, but even using those examples, Perez went for 30 million to Leicester on the back of his Newcastle form. Longstaff was on United’s radar for a massive price before his injury.

I don’t think Benitez would go for those players now, he’d try and find the next ones we could develop up hopefully.

Gray and Townsend have been good additions and what the squad needed. He’s got a far better idea now what the players are like and what’s needed. He can’t really do worse than what’s happened before, lets just let him get on with it now and judge him when it happens.
Also to add to this, okay, I'll accept that

But he needs to start showing he knows what's needed on the pitch in games. He did it today, finally. But Christ he hasn't done it lately and injuries don't excuse that mate, nowhere near.

Pure form. And he was fine last season but arguably not to the levels of the partnership he had with Bernard or Richarlison under Silva.

Defending isn't he great asset but the again what modern full back is?

He's the least of our issues...yet it's now an issue.
To be fair it's an issue Digne has made himself (again if the story is true).

The really important thing was he was able to get a performance tonight. As long as he can do that every so often, he'll buy time to continue his reign of terror. James, Donachie the physio guy, Brands... He's only warming up. This club has been way too cosy for way too long. I hope he burns that culture to the ground in his time here.

This team will end up a million miles away from the one we’ve had in recent seasons. The days of Bernard Siggurdson Davies of James jogging after an opposition midfield running all over us, dipping out of 50 50s and barely being able to piece together a counter attack are over.

There’s been glimpses this season of Doucoure Gray Richarlison getting into full flow and a fast strong dynamic team threatening to break out. Only glimpses, but it’s a lot better in my opinion than the shuffling nonsense we saw under Silva and Ancelotti at times.

Think you missed my point. I am saying Digne is only suitable for a winger job because he cannot defend. Maybe Benitez told him to stay back more due to gaping holes left by him when trying to go forward at the wrong time. He has been a defensive liability for a good while now but if he is there he will have a better chance of a tackle than being stranded up front
well it's all about how you keep the ball. Digne is a better defender than TAA, for example. Like, just numbers wise he stacks up fine against TAA, but Liverpool keep the ball better and push teams back so TAA isn't exposed as regularly. TAA also plays in a 433 so he always has a link up option inside and that man to help cover him.

It's all about using the ball well. Digne does actually take care of the ball well, he's one of the few players that does for us, but we just kind of always play him in this solitary role. His best form came in 2018-19 when he had Bernard ahead of him. I'm not saying we need to have that again but you can mitigate his weaknesses by playing a proper midfield and giving him support. I think Allan, and this is from his time at Napoli, would dovetail really well down that side of midfield because he can link up and also cover. And you'd have Gomes to change it up too - so yes that's where injuries come in.

No he won't on current ratio point...

Got us down for 4 points after the derby for tonight and Sunday that's a minimum. Arsenal are all over the place as in transition. Palace much harder. And a very well run club to boot.

A much needed win, so reluctantly he gets credit but it was more spirit than anything remotely resembling any skill (Gray contributions aside).like watching while ur finger is in a vice.
Typical kopite, scrapes a win from the jaws of a defeat (sacking). He gets a stay of execution for the week. 3 points does little for future if this guy remains in charge

Got a reaction, good battling qualities tonight. Could have lived without the Mina injury. Really need to keep it going. Its not unlike Everton to follow up a good result with a crud one. This is where he earns his corn now, motivating and prepping the squad for the next few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.