Should we stick with the DOF model?

• Yes

• No

• Walsh on toast

• Yes but replace Benitez with the new DOF’s choice

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get my head around how it would work with a DoF. Both DoF and manager would have to be in 100% agreement on a player. If that is the case then no need for DoF. I look at King last season which I believe (my opinion) Brands sanctioned but Ancelotti not interested hence lack of playing time. You can't have a DoF signing a player and expecting a manager that isn't 100% convinced to get much play time. The DoF should have introduced a structure from youth to 1st team and had the Youth coaches having players playing in a certain way and sticking to it. This then doesn't work with the change of managers every other year having different views. Too much of a clash. We need a manager who identifies who he wants then a negotiator to attempt to get that player on reasonable terms with one eye on future sale (don't offer a 50k player a wage of 100k). I really cannot understand how it would work effectively if the manager had the slightest of ego's.

There will be no DOF so long as Benitez is around. He accomplished his first objective and he is now likely here for the long run.

There needs to be one footballing vision at the club.

That has to be a managers surely. Do we seriously think that Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel, Conte are told by their directors what formation to play or what types of players to buy?

No, they set out the way they will play to bring success and the football operation aligns to that.

We have to put in place a technical director who can keep Moshiri and the CEO out of any footballing matters until escalations are required. This person should also be looking at the long term projects of the club such as the academy, medical, scouting department etc. to support what the manager wants to do on the pitch.

Brands and DBB out. A CEO strong enough to keep Moshiri out of meddling, and to give air cover to their technical director. A technical director with the capability to both set a strategic plan for improving the support functions of the football side of the club, but also to carry out the vision of the manager in place at the time.

One vision of how football is played in the first team set by the manager, the technical director working to support the manager on transfers/contracts/scouting etc. in the short term, but looking at the functions of the club in the long term. A CEO who keeps Moshiri out of all of this and can marshall the rest of the functions of the club (e.flag commercial) to support the footballing side.

If you put Luis Campos in the Director of Football role and him and Benitez (eww) get rid of our current academy management.

I would be happy.

I can't see the point of hiring a DoF who has worked at somewhere like Real Madrid or Bayern. They will leave as soon as a bigger club come calling. If we are going to do this then it has to be a realistic appointment who will see this as a great job and be here for the next 5+ years. They will also need to be able to stand up to the board, and if the likes of Moshiri and Kenwright interfere, then publicly out them so fans know that they are unable to do the job they were employed for.

If you put Luis Campos in the Director of Football role and him and Benitez (eww) get rid of our current academy management.

I would be happy.
Problem with that is Campos is pretty no nonsense and would soon put Benitez in his place who would then run off crying to Moshiri and we would be back to square one. We have to do something though, the days of these old skool manager types controlling everything are long gone, it just does'nt work like that anymore. You will struggle to find a top team in any of the top leagues anywhere that does'nt have the DoF/Sporting Director Head Coach setup and (as someone else posted the other day) I don't think a team without one has won anything in the last 15 years.

The idea of DOF is flawed in EPL because DOF doesn't work with the first team, he doesn't see what are the weaknesses of the squad and what's needed.
In EPL, every game is crucial and due to the intensity, it can be difficult even for talented players. So a small margin of error from recruitment becomes very glaring. That is my opinion.

I think we should stick with it but it's absolutely useless if we aren't actually using it. You cannot have multiple people doing what Everton are doing. If we're going to go solely to one manager in control of everything, give it to Ragnick. He basically built the RB machine. How he is as a manager is up in the air since he hasn't done it in about 3-4 years until now but I'd feel more comfortable with someone like him than someone who is awful at it like Benitez.

There will be no DOF so long as Benitez is around. He accomplished his first objective and he is now likely here for the long run.
Unless benitez is made DoF in future, with someone like Ferguson as manager. He wants a long-term, local job. Manager isn't long term, but a DoF could be around for years.

?

It all depends on the Managerial appointment Moshiri makes

Do I want someone like Benitez or Mourinho having full control over our transfers? No chance

Status
Not open for further replies.