2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is it eh? So so much to learn - you can get away with a young centre back if it’s in a functional team, a midfield that can actually protect the back four, for a start. In this Everton team you’re constantly being put in situations where you’re having to make decisions, being asked difficult questions, whether to go with the runner or go to the ball, step out or stay in the back line and ultimately his inexperience and weaknesses are being exposed. This isn’t the team to be blooding a young centre back that needs to develop and learn. It’ll kill his confidence if they don’t watch it.

He's not that young. He's 24 next month.
He's eager. But that doesnt mean good as some seem to think.
Its not just him though. We dont have any real good defenders. Thats why we very rarely keep clean sheets.

He's not that young. He's 24 next month.
He's eager. But that doesnt mean good as some seem to think.
Its not just him though. We dont have any real good defenders. Thats why we very rarely keep clean sheets.
I like his desire (more than the others) but his halo has definitely slipped this season for me. He looks weak defending set pieces and corners considering he’s a centre back he’s not the best in the air. Also his positioning at times is an issue. Last night I think it was him caught napping for the second goal.

Rewatched the second goal and it’s all on him, stumbling into the middle of the pitch, losing it and then what was the most galling jogging back to our box whilst jota next to him sprints past him. Goal goes in and he puts a hang dog look on and not one player gives him a bollocking.

Lot of improvement needed

Like a different player this year,,,,,,,,,in a bad way though unfortunately, think he has really struggled on his return from Covid,for the most part has looked to be blowing out of his arsp after 5/10 minutes, if that's the case the management and medical team are severely lacking in continually selecting him.

…there was a moment in the 2nd half where he got a block on a goal bound effort but the ground he made up to do it was startling. I was surprised commentators didn’t pick up on it but he left a number of other better placed defenders in his wake to stop a goal.

Its that raw physicality that need to be nurtured because he’s the only defender who has it. We saw how much our defenders lack power of recovery with the two goals scored by Salah but Godfrey has it in abundence when he turns on his afterburners.

Status
Not open for further replies.