Lewis Dobbin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is good but not yet good enough for the first team.

How does he prove that?

Browning, Galloway, Pennington were all playing for the U23s long after the club concluded they weren't going to be first team material.

Players like Sambou, signed at 18 in 2016 for the U21s. At 21, he was still playing every week;

Sambou claimed his second championship medal in three seasons the following term, featuring in every match of Everton Under-23s' march to the Premier League 2 crown and scoring nine goals.

... when the club knew he wasn't going to play for the senior team.

If I'm Dobbin, and I know the club dont think I'm good enough then I'd be looking for a move to Nottingham Forest, Bristol City etc. Make your own pathway.

How does he prove that?

Browning, Galloway, Pennington were all playing for the U23s long after the club concluded they weren't going to be first team material.

Players like Sambou, signed at 18 in 2016 for the U21s. At 21, he was still playing every week;

... when the club knew he wasn't going to play for the senior team.

If I'm Dobbin, and I know the club dont think I'm good enough then I'd be looking for a move to Nottingham Forest, Bristol City etc. Make your own pathway.

Our recruitment has been the biggest stumbling block to the pathway for young players over the last number of years. There may well be a lack of quality (I think there is tbh), but the structures aren't in place either.

And even when we didn't block the pathway through recruitment, like with full backs, our selection policy showed we didn't trust the younger players. Small didn't even make the bench in games where Digne was injured last season. And Nkounkou wasn't given game time either, so asked for a loan leaving the squad extremely thin.

Let him go if he doesn't wanna stay, Brands getting bullied by a teenager again, our academy is in a utter state.

If Dobbin was you/your son, you'd recommend bailing.

First team football in Germany or at Championship level etc is an opportunity to prove yourself. Dobbin, like Simms have nothing they can prove at the level they're at.

I often say Thierry Small had Iwobi and Delph put ahead of him at left back, while also naming 2 'keepers on the bench and people were wondering why he decided to go to Southampton?

We don't give them a chance when there's opportunity.

Dobbin isn't getting on when we have Rondon dying on his feet upfront. If he's not going to get some time now when we have nobody, when will he get a chance to prove himself?
The issue I have is you can’t sign a pro deal till 17. And That’s why Small could walk away.
Next summer Dobbin will be 19 and 6months So I’m struggling to see what deal he was given. Because i thought the max contract was 2yrs for a 17yr old. So didn’t he sign a pro deal until he was 17 and 6 months?

It frustrates me how we give deals to kids in the academy we all know will never play a prem or championship level, I’m not saying Dobbin will, but he’s been a name on everyone’s lips for a good few years.
Matty Pennington contracts up to 26. The likes of David Henen, Connor grant, walked away at 22. So obviously were given deals at 19/20. Probably conference standard players.

So going back to my original point, why isn’t Dobbin given the best/longest deal possible as soon as he turns 18. Even if he doesn’t make it, maybe we sell him for a fee. The academy must be losing money.

But we’ve seen it all before. Barkley given a 4 year deal after his breakthrough season, the same summer we signed Lukaku on a 5yr deal.
And that caught up with us and cost us millions.

Rooney one of the greatest talents to ever come through. When he signed his deal at 17. The deal for when he turned 18 should have already been agreed. But he eventually left around his 19 birthday. With 2 years left
( I think) so it looks like he was given a 3 yr deal at 18? And was already in the England team, ridiculous. Again I’m just guessing as I’m not sure how the Rooney contract/ contracts worked out.

We paid 5 million for Josh Bowler & let him go to Blackpool on a free transfer - Brands needs sacking to stop the rot... he is just blowing away money buying hasbeens old ones at that ....... with no sell on value - Youngsters signed or coming through want out - something is rotten to the core at our club .....

We paid 5 million for Josh Bowler & let him go to Blackpool on a free transfer - Brands needs sacking to stop the rot... he is just blowing away money buying hasbeens old ones at that ....... with no sell on value - Youngsters signed or coming through want out - something is rotten to the core at our club .....
Bowler was signed before Brands.

You aint wrong with the rest though.

The issue I have is you can’t sign a pro deal till 17. And That’s why Small could walk away.
Next summer Dobbin will be 19 and 6months So I’m struggling to see what deal he was given. Because i thought the max contract was 2yrs for a 17yr old. So didn’t he sign a pro deal until he was 17 and 6 months?

It frustrates me how we give deals to kids in the academy we all know will never play a prem or championship level, I’m not saying Dobbin will, but he’s been a name on everyone’s lips for a good few years.
Matty Pennington contracts up to 26. The likes of David Henen, Connor grant, walked away at 22. So obviously were given deals at 19/20. Probably conference standard players.

So going back to my original point, why isn’t Dobbin given the best/longest deal possible as soon as he turns 18. Even if he doesn’t make it, maybe we sell him for a fee. The academy must be losing money.

But we’ve seen it all before. Barkley given a 4 year deal after his breakthrough season, the same summer we signed Lukaku on a 5yr deal.
And that caught up with us and cost us millions.

Rooney one of the greatest talents to ever come through. When he signed his deal at 17. The deal for when he turned 18 should have already been agreed. But he eventually left around his 19 birthday. With 2 years left
( I think) so it looks like he was given a 3 yr deal at 18? And was already in the England team, ridiculous. Again I’m just guessing as I’m not sure how the Rooney contract/ contracts worked out.
Max contract is 3 years at 17. Dobbin signed his pro contract last year Jan 20 when he turned 17, virtually all contract go to the end of June so his would have been 2 1/2 years until June 2022. He was 18 last January ,you don’t negotiate a contract every year, pointless for him and the club unless they have a significant breakthrough and deserve a better contract. He deserves a decent contract offer , whether he accepts it I don’t know.

Max contract is 3 years at 17. Dobbin signed his pro contract last year Jan 20 when he turned 17, virtually all contract go to the end of June so his would have been 2 1/2 years until June 2022. He was 18 last January ,you don’t negotiate a contract every year, pointless for him and the club unless they have a significant breakthrough and deserve a better contract. He deserves a decent contract offer , whether he accepts it I don’t know.
But why let it run down to this point when he can walk away. The point is if he hasn’t impressed in the them first 18months. Then let it run down and let him walk away. Everton let a number of youngsters leave every summer for nothing.

If they have high hopes for him, this should have been sorted months ago. Hindsight is wonderful thing . But any clown can watch our 23’s and know which players may have a chance, and which ones definitely don’t.

But why let it run down to this point when he can walk away. The point is if he hasn’t impressed in the them first 18months. Then let it run down and let him walk away. Everton let a number of youngsters leave every summer for nothing.

If they have high hopes for him, this should have been sorted months ago. Hindsight is wonderful thing . But any clown can watch our 23’s and know which players may have a chance, and which ones definitely don’t.
Well he was injured for a while and my understanding is that new contract talks have been happening for some time.I can’t answer your question , but you can see it from both sides , you let it go as long as possible to see how he develops and what chance he is being given. Six months ago he hadn’t trained with or featured with the first team so any offer would have been poor and were always criticised for giving long contracts to U23s who don’t make it .

Well he was injured for a while and my understanding is that new contract talks have been happening for some time.I can’t answer your question , but you can see it from both sides , you let it go as long as possible to see how he develops and what chance he is being given. Six months ago he hadn’t trained with or featured with the first team so any offer would have been poor and were always criticised for giving long contracts to U23s who don’t make it .
Yes but like you say he was injured and he was also highly regarded. I’d rather us gamble and give 18yr olds with potential deals. Than giving better deals to 20yr olds with no hope

If Dobbin was you/your son, you'd recommend bailing.

First team football in Germany or at Championship level etc is an opportunity to prove yourself. Dobbin, like Simms have nothing they can prove at the level they're at.

I often say Thierry Small had Iwobi and Delph put ahead of him at left back, while also naming 2 'keepers on the bench and people were wondering why he decided to go to Southampton?

We don't give them a chance when there's opportunity.

Dobbin isn't getting on when we have Rondon dying on his feet upfront. If he's not going to get some time now when we have nobody, when will he get a chance to prove himself?

…I wouldn’t recommend bailing if the deal on offer at Everton is very good. He knows the club, he’s settled and he’s highly rated. Dropping down a level isn’t necessarily a good idea, careers can stall for highly rated youngsters who are not given the right time to develop. We’ve seen the likes of Gordon struggle at Preston.

The attraction of going abroad is a bit different, especially given the success rate in the likes of Germany. If Dobbin was my son, I’d weigh up the options but I‘d definitely give Everton serious thought if the financial package was good.

Would any of you sign for us? We are utter crap and have every chance of going down the way these injuries are impacting us.

Status
Not open for further replies.