2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well no I don’t know that, but neither do you, and seeing as we can only deal on facts, the facts are that he has never had a call up to an England squad and the likelihood is he never will because he’s not a very good footballer.
I don't disagree. But I never said he was close to a call up. I said he was being linked to a call up, which at the time he was. You're the one who said he never got anywhere near one when, just like me, you have no idea whether he was or wasn't.

Look, I'm not saying Holgate is a good player who should be playing for England. I'm as disappointed as anybody that his form has fallen of a cliff. all I'm doing is defending the club for extending his contract when they did. I don't normally defend anything the club does these days and tbh I'm sorry I did now.

18 months ago, when he signed his new 5 year contract, he was our best defender. the two Manchester clubs were reportedly interested and he was being tipped to make the Euros squad before it was postponed a year. There wasn't a single person on here who criticised the club at the time. Not one. Quite the opposite.
He has always had mistakes in him, he totally lacks composure, championship at best.

I remember Barnsley fans saying he was better than Stones. The lad showed real promise when he first came into the squad, but he's gone downhill rapidly. The constant chopping and changing of managers has not been beneficial for developing the youth at this club, that's for sure.

I remember Barnsley fans saying he was better than Stones. The lad showed real promise when he first came into the squad, but he's gone downhill rapidly. The constant chopping and changing of managers has not been beneficial for developing the youth at this club, that's for sure.
This is why I never go overboard about our youngsters til they’ve had at least a couple of seasons. I’m hoping Godfrey is different, but go back on here to the days of Browning, early Garbutt and Galloway, and they were all overhyped.

18 months ago, when he signed his new 5 year contract, he was our best defender. the two Manchester clubs were reportedly interested and he was being tipped to make the Euros squad before it was postponed a year. There wasn't a single person on here who criticised the club at the time. Not one. Quite the opposite.
Mate just because you got hoodwinked don’t assume we all did. He’s never been any better than average but obviously we never know contract details and all that. Extending his contract when they did would be fine but if there was a massive wage rise as is now being suggested then it was a massive mistake. I don’t remember hearing that he’d doubled his wage or whatever at the time but if I had I’d definitely have called it out because I’ve never had a good word to say about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.