2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said he was forced to play out of position due to the absence of our best full-back Lucas Digne. He also seems fatigued - is he still possibly feeling the effects of Covid?

It’s not all doom and gloom. We are still in the top 10 and we have just two fewer points than we had at this stage last season - and we had the most decorated manager in history at the helm then!

Benitez spent just £2million in the summer and he has had extraordinary luck with injuries. We have missed DCL and Doucoure particularly acutely in recent weeks. Even the likes of Man City wouldn’t thrive if they were without their top goalscorer and their best midfielder for weeks.

If R.A.F.A. can’t arrest this slide within the next 5 or 6 weeks and it looks like we will be at risk of relegation then of course we will have to consider a change, but I can’t see that being the case.
This is a long-term project. Only rich clubs like Chelsea can get away with changing their managers every other season.
It’s way too soon to be talking about relegation.

…there was a moment in the 2nd half an opponent broke, Godfrey was 4 yards away and set off after him. There was no sign of the famous afterburners, the forward increased the gap between them as Godfrey laboured. It was a stark moment for me & one that can’t be excused by a lack of confidence.
That is the thing, he has lost pace and strength in the tackle, hopefully it returns but he shouldn't be playing if he hasn't got it as those aspects of his game cover the deficiencies.

It's putrid how quickly opinions can change. It's likely that he's struggling after COVID and in a back line that is all over the place, yet the knives are out.

People's own fault though as he was put on a pedastal way before it was even warranted.
Still hope. But his concentration level needs upping so much. And that isnt just this season. He was doing it last season aswell.
I'd really like the lad to do well as he has the potential to lead. But thats all. His game hasnt ever really been near the level some were making it out to be.
Big test today as i fear kane will lose him in and around the box.

It's putrid how quickly opinions can change. It's likely that he's struggling after COVID and in a back line that is all over the place, yet the knives are out.

I'm confident he'll come back bigger and better, fitness wise you can see how much he's struggling.

Take him out today if Digne is fit. Play a nice simple back line of Coleman, no one, no one & Digne

People's own fault though as he was put on a pedastal way before it was even warranted.
Still hope. But his concentration level needs upping so much. And that isnt just this season. He was doing it last season aswell.
I'd really like the lad to do well as he has the potential to lead. But thats all. His game hasnt ever really been near the level some were making it out to be.
Big test today as i fear kane will lose him in and around the box.

Yeah he was really dodgy whenever he played at centre back last season, pre-Covid.

But Keane and Mina is our best pair?

Keane is a walking car crash of a central defender. The only reason people think Keane and Mina are our best pair is because every pairing we play seems to include Keane. We need to give a pairing a go for a run of games that doesn’t include him.

Keane is a walking car crash of a central defender. The only reason people think Keane and Mina are our best pair is because every pairing we play seems to include Keane. We need to give a pairing a go for a run of games that doesn’t include him.
So your speculating but not basing who.is our best pair on anything tried and tested.
Godfrey hasnt look good as a centre back along side anyone, even when fit he looks ok as an option at best

Status
Not open for further replies.