Why on earth did we sell James Rodriguez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s nobody in the squad who can pick a pass, facht. We’re struggling to create chances, facht. We’re incredibly one dimensional and have no plan B when attacking, facht.

I will never understand the logic of drumming James out the club and allowing Alex Iwobi, Delph, Tosun, Gomes to name but a few, to stay, contribute significantly less on the pitch and still take home a big wedge.

Would anybody rather play Alex Iwobi behind the striker than James? Highly doubt it but that’s the choice the club and Rafael made. It’s ludicrous.

With hardworking Townsend and Gray on the wing and Allan Doucourre in midfield, James behind the striker would have been a far, far, far more dangerous team than with Iwobi there.

There’s nobody in the squad who can pick a pass, facht. We’re struggling to create chances, facht. We’re incredibly one dimensional and have no plan B when attacking, facht.

I will never understand the logic of drumming James out the club and allowing Alex Iwobi, Delph, Tosun, Gomes to name but a few, to stay, contribute significantly less on the pitch and still take home a big wedge.

Would anybody rather play Alex Iwobi behind the striker than James? Highly doubt it but that’s the choice the club and Rafael made. It’s ludicrous.

With hardworking Townsend and Gray on the wing and Allan Doucourre in midfield, James behind the striker would have been a far, far, far more dangerous team than with Iwobi there.

I’m sure if any sort of interest came in from anywhere for those players they would’ve been let go instantly.

Why did we sell james, simple he was never fit enough to play. Yes he was a very good player but no point if he hardly ever played. Kean though should have been made to stay until we had a decent back up striker.

I think the club did him dirty in my opinion, of course James did himself no favours last year by being injured a lot, maybe the club felt like Carlo protected him a bit, so they might have seen it as an opportunity to get rid of him. And I think he had something lined up which was why he sat out until the deadline, and he didn't want to be there if the club didn't want him there so he even went to Qatar just to get out. Pretty surprising no one in the media pushed harder on that story.

A lot of people keep saying he was on 200,000 or more (even in the article i posted here https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/al-rayyan-sc.113511/post-9137406) - but then why take a 40% wage cut to go to Qatar for 7m euros a season? Bizarre. He probably matched his salary in Qatar. 140,000 euros a week is still a lot of money for Everton though. But then why not get rid of guys like Gomes on 100,000 a week.

As we've seen this with the style of play, he's not really a Benitez player, but you'd have to be supremely arrogant to put two goalkeepers in your match squad over a player like James if you had him. People who've seen highlights from his Al Rayyan games know he still has quality.

I’m sure if any sort of interest came in from anywhere for those players they would’ve been let go instantly.
If a manager makes it very clear to a player, they won’t play, aren’t part of their plans and they want them to find a new club it’ll happen.

Instead Benitez was coming out with, I’ve seen good things on the training pitch from Iwobi (same as Silva and Carlo) and think he can become a good player for us. Repeat chances for serial under performance from successive managers. If he’d watched us like he said he had there was only one player out of James or Iwobi that I’d have gone all out to get out the club and it wouldn’t have been James.

The myth of “who would by them?” prevails. Remember Morgan Schnederlin - I thought the same about him. Who would want that lazy fraud. When he eventually left for Nice he did an interview saying he’d wanted to go the previous summer and there was interest but Brands asked him to stay for one more year as a favour so he stayed to help us out.

Ha. I can't believe that you arrogant toffee sons of camels don't understand that James was never going to stay once he received the call from the mighty Al Rayyan SC.
He now has the chance to shine in the Qatari Stars League. How could the crappy Premier League of England compare to that? You think he was ever going to play with Calvert Lewin once he had the chance to partner Yohan Boli?
I laugh at your arrogance.
May your toffee smelling armpits be ravished by a million fleas and your Wednesday wives bring shame upon you by baring their arms in public.

Why did we sell JR? Cutting costs, rarely in match form, football has evolved, context: playing in the world's most physical and intense league for a team that is average, and where defensive solidity weighs more than the opposite. JR also does not fit Benitez's philosophy, or most modern mangers' philosophy.

Some people constantly mention that it is not important to run, but it is more important what you do with the ball. It's just a myth. Of course, what you do with the ball is important, but teams that prioritize ball possession do not run significantly less during a football match. Xavi was, for example, the player who ran the most for Barcelona in almost every match, and a player like Inestia was not far behind.

So what you do with the ball is no more important than what you do without. During a match, a player has the ball on average for 3-4 minutes, so I would say it is more important what the player does without the ball.

Cos he is ghite. First letter altered to avoid censure. The Arabs are already regretting spending their hard earned oil money on this money grabbing waste of space.Think I have answered the question.

He didn’t wanna play for us, he has shown a consistent injury record with us and other clubs. With the money saved by his wages alone will free up some cash for jan if we bring people in

For a long time I though this same question - why sell quality players, who can also help attract other quality players? And i was a big fan and really wanted it to work. I was even willing to look past his injury record considering we have Delph etc with worse stuff
However, then 3 things changed for me, and I have to say it's great that we sold him, but what a waste of time of one year - again the blame lies with the club - why have this marketing / PR plan with James and then just lurch in the other direction just 11 months later?

1) His choice of next club - I thought a decent Italian or Spanish Europa League team would have been a minimum choice if he's still looking to be a top player. USA as a last resort would have kept him in the yes of the Columbian fans / FA to help him play at Qatar. But Qatar is a weird choice, which means its something about money or ambassadorial work or who knows why he's signed there.
2) Social Media - I'm not expecting them to quote Dave HIckson but he had very little or no connection with EFC on social media, and for someone with a massive following and a curated social media strategy, it was a choice. In addition, our club is not smart enough to actually ask him or contract him to post about Everton, we could have been more ruthless on this when we signed him, cos not one post about Everton after he signed is pretty ridiculous which means DBB and the others were just hoping with their fingers crossed that James brings in a South American fan following. Nice strategy.
3) His performances and injury and red card last week - this sums it up, that we didn't really miss out because we caught him a bad period in his career where he's not consistent or focused, or he's more focused on his family and trying to make a good living for them.

It was fun while it lasted !

I won’t have a bad word said about our Hamez, not arsed he didn’t care about Everton. Most of the fans these days aren’t arsed. He was boss on his day and 6 goals and 4 assists in 23 games is better than any of the [Poor language removed] we have now will manage. But hey, he didn’t run and put pics on Instagram, the bad nob head.

Why did we sell JR? Cutting costs, rarely in match form, football has evolved, context: playing in the world's most physical and intense league for a team that is average, and where defensive solidity weighs more than the opposite. JR also does not fit Benitez's philosophy, or most modern mangers' philosophy.

Some people constantly mention that it is not important to run, but it is more important what you do with the ball. It's just a myth. Of course, what you do with the ball is important, but teams that prioritize ball possession do not run significantly less during a football match. Xavi was, for example, the player who ran the most for Barcelona in almost every match, and a player like Inestia was not far behind.

So what you do with the ball is no more important than what you do without. During a match, a player has the ball on average for 3-4 minutes, so I would say it is more important what the player does without the ball.
Yes without the ball for some teams is more important because it suits there ability... the dogs of war team would treat having possession of the ball like a hot potato... however running... closing down and taking the ball off more talented opposition players was there fortay.

Status
Not open for further replies.