New Everton Stadium Discussion

Wowsers, I saw a bunch of new pages in the stadium thread and thought there was a new drone video or something. It turns out that I was wrong and there is, in fact, an unexpected turn in here. It's very rare that I am on the side of @PaddyJames and @davekon this forum but acknowledging and differentiating EFC from the colonialist heritage of the site of our new home seems like an appropriate and responsible step to me.

I
Wowsers, I saw a bunch of new pages in the stadium thread and thought there was a new drone video or something. It turns out that I was wrong and there is, in fact, an unexpected turn in here. It's very rare that I am on the side of @PaddyJames and @davekon this forum but acknowledging and differentiating EFC from the colonialist heritage of the site of our new home seems like an appropriate and responsible step to me.

Everyone taking a break from arguing in the James thread.

New battle lines are drawn up.

Acknowledge slavery on site or just ignore it and hope the topic never comes up?

Whichever side you choose, you HAVE to dig in and defend your position in a confrontational/aggressive manner. Absolutely no middle ground/reasonable thinking is acceptable.

Good luck, may the Victors write their own history.

Last edited:
I genuinely couldn't give a toss ?

It's an off the cuff comment that I don't see the point in arguing about.

Like I said 10 years ago I don't think it would have even been mentioned.
40 years ago no one seemed to be willing to call out paedophiles like Saville, attitudes change it doesn’t mean the previous ambivalence to an issue was OK.

Where do you stop though, how far back 100 years 200? 500?... Should Rome apologise to the city of York or Chester who were built by their British slaves?
There’s not a statue to Caesar in either city though. Maybe they were pulled down hundreds of years ago by the emancipated descendants of those slaves??

There’s not a statue to Caesar in either city though. Maybe they were pulled down hundreds of years ago by the emancipated descendants of those slaves??
There is a museum like the one on Albert Dock for slaves
40 years ago no one seemed to be willing to call out paedophiles like Saville, attitudes change it doesn’t mean the previous ambivalence to an issue was OK.
we are talking 100's of years ago mate not 1980

It has nothing to do with the club...or the stadium.

But it does have something to do with the history of the site on which our stadium will exist. Its a story of the ground. In the same way that the meeting in the Sandon lead to the existence of Goodison Park. In the same way that the history of St Lukes is part of Everton history, the reason the docks exist and the trade, of all kinds, that passed through them is now part of our history.

As part of the stadium build, Everton had committed to preserving historical artifacts and stories of the docks and all the people that passed through them, right from the very beginning. They view the opportunity to build in that location as an honour, and one that they must respect. We are a major part of this cities history and so are the docks.

Had we moved to Kirkby, no, your right, there wouldn't be anything. Walton Park, probably not either, nor the bestway site. However, you can rest assured that had Everton moved to this location, or another that holds so much significant historical record at any time over the last 10/20/30 years, they would have sought to educate about it. Thats what our club has done, is doing and will continue to do in many different guises throughout the city in all different communities. I for one hope it continues as football is a source of many things for many different people, and as Everton have proved over many years, it can be a source for education, equality and an opportunity for voices to be heard that otherwise wouldn't have been.

Long may it continue.

They'll be using for more than just that historic connection as well. There are links with Everton and the Irish community, with a really strong presence around the docks as workers. The docks also played a part in the migration of Irish during the famine. All of this will be explored, presented and explained within the visitors centre. Links to former/current Irish players/staff, all that kind of stuff. Its going to be absolutely fantastic.
My grandad was a union activist in the late 20s who was blacklisted in Dublin in the 20s
Union got him work on Liverpool docks and he was involved with the union there
He then came home and later on used his connections to get my dad a job on Liverpool Docks.
He came home and got married
I’ve broken the link.
A lot of Irish connections to Liverpool esp on the docks