2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a CB and should be part of our first choice pair with Mina. His positioning is a little off but that is something that can be learned. However if he is moved all over the back 4 it will make this more difficult. Hopefully once he's fully fit from covid he will get a run of games at CB and if they are with Mina he will start to hopefully develop an understanding of where he should be. His pace is his main asset which you can't teach so he already has an advantage over some.

You can't trust him with the ball at CB so you want him to move to midfield?
The ball would have a fair bit to travel before it landed in our net from there.

If he was in CM with Doucoure we'd have two competitors and two players with the athleticsim to win the ball and really put the opposition defence under pressure carrying it to them.

If I was an opposition midfield I wouldn't want to be facing those two in the middle.

The ball would have a fair bit to travel before it landed in our net from there.

If he was in CM with Doucoure we'd have two competitors and two players with the athleticsim to win the ball and really put the opposition defence under pressure carrying it to them.

If I was an opposition midfield I wouldn't want to be facing those two in the middle.
I think a lot of teams would love to have those two to press all game.

Losing the ball as a defensive midfielder may not be as dangerous as a CB but it is still bad and is way more likely to happen.

I think a lot of teams would love to have those two to press all game.

Losing the ball as a defensive midfielder may not be as dangerous as a CB but it is still bad and is way more likely to happen.
It happens anyway with Doucoure and Allan. What's the difference? Allan and Doucoure are working ok right now so I'd leave it alone. But I'd have no reservations about seeing Godfrey deputise for either one if they were absent.

It happens anyway with Doucoure and Allan. What's the difference? Allan and Doucoure are working ok right now so I'd leave it alone. But I'd have no reservations about seeing Godfrey deputise for either one if they were absent.
Godfrey would be worse in that he either would give it away more or like when Holgate played there he'd just not get it.

Besides there is more to it than just giving the ball away. We're already a team that has ball progression issues in midfield. Unfortunately the guy has to make it as a CB. I get why there are reservations on that.

Godfrey would be worse in that he either would give it away more or like when Holgate played there he'd just not get it.

Besides there is more to it than just giving the ball away. We're already a team that has ball progression issues in midfield. Unfortunately the guy has to make it as a CB. I get why there are reservations on that.
I dont know what you're basing that on.

I dont know what you're basing that on.
That he's never played midfield before and has poor technique. Basically common sense is he'd be worse at it than the guys who have spent a decade doing it in the top flight. Just like he was worse in the ball at fullback than Digne and amazingly Coleman.

That he's never played midfield before and has poor technique. Basically common sense is he'd be worse at it than the guys who have spent a decade doing it in the top flight. Just like he was worse in the ball at fullback than Digne and amazingly Coleman.
He's worse at CB than what we have here at the club - after playing that position for Norwich...so what's your point?

I don’t normally agree with some of the things you say Dave but tell you what this is probably the most sense you’ve ever made even if it does take our fastest defender out the defence

Status
Not open for further replies.