It's that time of year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the eve of a new season which means it's time for my annual tedious 'disclaimer' thread again...

Those who have been here a while will appreciate that we're considerably more lenient with our moderating during the summer 'silly season'.

And so, as we get set to enter another season of football - a reminder that we do ask that all to follow our guidelines to ensure these forums remain user-friendly.

I can't recall a pre-season with such widespread apathy, or pessimism. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it has coincided with an increase of angst across the forum. With that - sadly, we're seeing more and more 'playing the man, not the ball'...

We're all Evertonians, if someone posts something you disagree with you can say so without being an arse. Give people the benefit of doubt. I think digital conversation in general is becomingly increasingly divisive/partisan and abusive - let's try and buck the trend on here.

With this in mind, I'd encourage those who are frequently abusing the Everton manager to reflect. Sure, criticise but the insults, no matter how mild, sour the atmosphere of the forum. It risks a broken window effect and abuse towards the Everton manager can risk setting a false 'fair game' precedent across the forum.

GOT should always allow fun, it should always offer escapism to some - moderators need to respect that, but you have to help us out.

Please think before you post and help us maintain your community so we can collectively accurately represent the fan base with pride.

Nice one.
Sorry GOT, no can do. The city is red, and so now are everton (with a small E)

Sorry GOT, no can do. The city is red, and so now are everton (with a small E)

No can do to what?

Actually. Don't answer. Crack on mate. See how long you last.

Personal abuse towards a man solely on a football job he had years back says more about you than anyone else.

As does posts like this at half time today;

I enjoyed the halftime booing :) well in lads ;)

... But not a peep after we win.

Bizarre, to me that. Enjoying us losing. Crack on.

No can do to what?

Actually. Don't answer. Crack on mate. See how long you last.

Personal abuse towards a man solely on a football job he had years back says more about you than anyone else.

As does posts like this at half time today;

... But not a peep after we win.

Bizarre, to me that. Enjoying us losing. Crack on.
I suppose benitez was right after all, we really are a small club. We've become like the scrawny kid in school, who'll let everybody push him around and laugh at him in the hope they'll be his friends and not bully him too much.
(see, no benitez insults)
I know there are a lot of true blues in here, who are currently being coerced into towing the line ? I know you're a true blue as well, just makes it all the sadder. You see, once a person sells a little bit of his soul, the rest is sure to follow, like an unstoppable avalanche.

I suppose benitez was right after all, we really are a small club. We've become like the scrawny kid in school, who'll let everybody push him around and laugh at him in the hope they'll be his friends and not bully him too much.
(see, no benitez insults)
I know there are a lot of true blues in here, who are currently being coerced into towing the line ? I know you're a true blue as well, just makes it all the sadder. You see, once a person sells a little bit of his soul, the rest is sure to follow, like an unstoppable avalanche.

'coerced into towing the line'

Take the tinfoil hat off mate.

'sold your soul'

Nah.

It's really simple.

We've said the same since way back in Feb 2007 when we started.

Play the ball, not the man.

Don't personally abuse.

That's it.

We relaxed our approach as we do every summer, and factoring in the context around Benitez. We had to expect knee-jerk style fume.

But now the season has started, the abusive comments towards the manager just sours the whole atmosphere of the forum and encourages abuse on the platform. It's like a broken window effect.

We wouldn't accept abusive comments towards another member - player, or staff member. So we shouldn't for Benitez, despite his job between 2004-2010.

All we're saying - as we have since day one - is knock the personal abuse on the head.

'sold your soul'

Nah.

It's really simple.

Don't personally abuse.

That's it.

We relaxed our approach as we do every summer, and factoring in the context around Benitez. We had to expect knee-jerk style fume.

But now the season has started, the abusive comments towards the manager just sours the whole atmosphere of the forum and encourages abuse on the platform. It's like a broken window effect.

We wouldn't accept abusive comments towards another member - player, or staff member. So we shouldn't for Benitez, despite his job between 2004-2010.

All we're saying - as we have since day one - is knock the personal abuse on the head.
Ok, but there's a lot of rs style winding up going on in here, good blues are going to bite back at that.
Btw, the 'coercive' and 'soul selling' comments weren't directed at GOT, although I can see how it could read like that.

'sold your soul'

Nah.

It's really simple.

Don't personally abuse.

That's it.

So, to clarify, the no personal abuse thing towards Benitez means no criticism of him or personal feelings expressed about him allowed. Reason for asking is that any comment about him is going to be personal no? Just want to know where we are setting the bar here. ?

So, to clarify, the no personal abuse thing towards Benitez means no criticism of him or personal feelings expressed about him allowed. Reason for asking is that any comment about him is going to be personal no? Just want to know where we are setting the bar here. ?

No. Every comment towards Benitez isn't going to be personal abuse.

Its not my job to aid your understanding/clarifying the difference between criticism and personal abuse but with regards to 'knowing the bar is set' - not good enough to be Everton manager is criticism. Fat sweaty pig is abuse. Your last warning for calling someone sad and pathetic is again, personal abuse.

It's basic life skills, really mate ?

No. Every comment towards Benitez isn't going to be personal abuse.

Its not my job to aid your understanding/clarifying the difference between criticism and personal abuse but with regards to 'knowing the bar is set' - not good enough to be Everton manager is criticism. Fat sweaty pig is abuse. Your last warning for calling someone sad and pathetic is again, personal abuse.

It's basic life skills, really mate ?
Well then I hope it goes both ways. Personally, having been a guest here for years and latterly a poster, that's nothing compared to what I've seen others post, who still regularly contribute wind ups and are never then called out on it by mods. This is your forum, not mine and if you're happy with those double standards then that's your call. I've been called 'the worst thing I've ever seen posted' and if that's not personal I don't know what is. Clearly, I'm going to come back if someone starts on me, so I'll be deleting the account and not contributing further if this is targeted at me and not others equally, because if so what's the point in being here?

Well then I hope it goes both ways. Personally, having been a guest here for years and latterly a poster, that's nothing compared to what I've seen others post, who still regularly contribute wind ups and are never then called out on it by mods. This is your forum, not mine and if you're happy with those double standards then that's your call. I've been called 'the worst thing I've ever seen posted' and if that's not personal I don't know what is. Clearly, I'm going to come back if someone starts on me, so I'll be deleting the account and not contributing further if this is targeted at me and not others equally, because if so what's the point in being here?

What a really odd exchange this is.

You're now suggesting moderators would have nothing better to do with their time than follow 'Dan79' around and target/pick on him...

Come off it.

"I'll delete my account and not contribute further'.

I don't really care to be honest. It's not my job to pacify you or anyone else on here.

What I do care about, is anyone who is here, isn't personally abusing anyone hidden behind a username on a forum.

So again, it's really simple. Or at least, it should be;

It's the eve of a new season which means it's time for my annual tedious 'disclaimer' thread again...

Those who have been here a while will appreciate that we're considerably more lenient with our moderating during the summer 'silly season'.

And so, as we get set to enter another season of football - a reminder that we do ask that all to follow our guidelines to ensure these forums remain user-friendly.

I can't recall a pre-season with such widespread apathy, or pessimism. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it has coincided with an increase of angst across the forum. With that - sadly, we're seeing more and more 'playing the man, not the ball'...

We're all Evertonians, if someone posts something you disagree with you can say so without being an arse. Give people the benefit of doubt. I think digital conversation in general is becomingly increasingly divisive/partisan and abusive - let's try and buck the trend on here.

With this in mind, I'd encourage those who are frequently abusing the Everton manager to reflect. Sure, criticise but the insults, no matter how mild, sour the atmosphere of the forum. It risks a broken window effect and abuse towards the Everton manager can risk setting a false 'fair game' precedent across the forum.

GOT should always allow fun, it should always offer escapism to some - moderators need to respect that, but you have to help us out.

Please think before you post and help us maintain your community so we can collectively accurately represent the fan base with pride.

Nice one.

We have a report system. We encourage all to use it if there's any post that goes against the forums rules.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.