Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's you with the poison though, not Benitez. You and people with your mindset are the problem.

You aren't judging an employed professional on performance. He's won numerous titles, is well respected and is more than qualified for the job. Instead, your hating him based on him having another job once upon a time.
I’ll take you point but I dont think I am , I think it’s a ridiculous appointment but I’ll support the club turn up and certainly won’t be booing him but I feel I have every right to voice my opinions .

I think he’s come across ok with his interviews etc and I look at appointments I did want and they were crap like ones I didn’t so ultimately it matters not a jot. If James is ‘forced out ‘ then he’ll probably lose a little of the good will he’s gained from me so far but I’ll absolutely be clapping when the team walk out at goodison and doing my best to get behind them as I have for decades .
being honest I think some of my reaction is based on what I consider the ridiculous almost bating positivity from some . Ultimately We are where we are and as I said earlier my ‘anger ‘ isn’t at him it’s at those that thought it was a good idea .

That's football though! Without club rivalries you have nothing.

Realistically those who don't hate him not probably didn't hate him back then either. People react differently to rivalries, some get het up and hate everything, some or more laid back. Most peoples opinions probably have not changed that much.

Right, and that's the problem. It's irrational.

If Benitez fails due to performance, fine. But if we go a goal down first game and there's rabid boos/hysterical insults towards him simply because he had the audacity to manage another club a decade ago, that's not fine.

My advice to those of that mindset is to grow up, quite frankly.

Seemingly being the word.

If he is ignored, then why not leave? Why renew a deal?

We have to assume Brands words' are true, and he wanted Benitez otherwise it's the biggest criticism you can aim at him. That he's just a nodding puppet.
He may have wanted Benitez, who knows. It just feels that every manager Moshiri has brought in has been able to get some of his own players whilst Brands doesn't seem to bring any of "his" ones in.

Depends on what his role actually is I guess, but I would say he is not a DOF in the traditional way and seems to be more of a "fixer" than anything.

As for renewing his deal, maybe he likes this job regardless. I just think our structure is a mess.

I’ll take you point but I dont think I am , I think it’s a ridiculous appointment but I’ll support the club turn up and certainly won’t be booing him but I feel I have every right to voice my opinions .

I think he’s come across ok with his interviews etc and I look at appointments I did want and they were crap like ones I didn’t so ultimately it matters not a jot. If James is ‘forced out ‘ then he’ll probably lose a little of the good will he’s gained from me so far but I’ll absolutely be clapping when the team walk out at goodison and doing my best to get behind them as I have for decades .
being honest I think some of my reaction is based on what I consider the ridiculous almost bating positivity from some . Ultimately We are where we are and as I said earlier my ‘anger ‘ isn’t at him it’s at those that thought it was a good idea .

Why is it ridiculous? Give me merit based reasons he shouldn't have been given the job?

Spurs have just hired Nuno off the back of a disaster season, and he's won sod all, for example. There's literally no logical reason whatsoever to prefer Nuno over Benitez based on CVs.

There's only one definitive logical reason to be against Benitez, and that's that he took a retirement job in China. Every other reason is complete fluff.

He may have wanted Benitez, who knows. It just feels that every manager Moshiri has brought in has been able to get some of his own players whilst Brands doesn't seem to bring any of "his" ones in.

Depends on what his role actually is I guess, but I would say he is not a DOF in the traditional way and seems to be more of a "fixer" than anything.

As for renewing his deal, maybe he likes this job regardless. I just think our structure is a mess.
One of the major problems is no one knows what anyone's role or remit is at the club it's all very clouded

Right, and that's the problem. It's irrational.

If Benitez fails due to performance, fine. But if we go a goal down first game and there's rabid boos/hysterical insults towards him simply because he had the audacity to manage another club a decade ago, that's not fine.

My advice to those of that mindset is to grow up, quite frankly.
Great, that totally ignores the issue though.

Telling people to stop doing what they instinctively want to do is not going to change anything is it?

"Stop being you". That's basically what is being asked. Telling people to grow up changes nothing, they are obviously different types of people to you.

Football is irrational. A lot of it is just pure pantomime.

Honestly couldn't care me.

I can't fume at this squad being cowards and lacking commitment and then give James Rodriguez a free pass - no matter how good he is. He declared himself fit, then bailed - all thumbs up - on a game that could have got us Europe. He was also 'fit' for a few games before that one.

Prior Benitez, we'd only appointed Ancelotti since Brands has been in position, and on the board responsible/accountable for all football matters.

Brands is on record giving an endorsement to Benitez. We have to accept that as true. If it isn't, what a weasel he is.

Ultimately, he managed Liverpool. Boohoo. Get over it.

I'd have Salah, Mane, Van Dijk and Allison in a blue shirt tomorrow and wouldn't give a flying toss who they played for previously.

Judge him as an Everton manager based on what he does. Don't be irrationally prejudiced. It's not a big ask.

Why is it ridiculous? Give me merit based reasons he shouldn't have been given the job?

Spurs have just hired Nuno off the back of a disaster season, and he's won sod all, for example. There's literally no logical reason whatsoever to prefer Nuno over Benitez based on CVs.

There's only one definitive logical reason to be against Benitez, and that's that he took a retirement job in China. Every other reason is complete fluff.
Is being against a massively divisive appointment a reason? Because that's my only reason. Of course people will say that all managers get stick, yeah but not before a ball has even been kicked.

The point was on you saying Benitez will have fans on his case that other managers wouldn't have had.

So, who would you have appointed instead mate?

And how much longer patience would they have got from Evertonians if they had a bad start?

I get why fans don't want Benitez - I could give a big list myself, but I couldn't come up with any name as to who I thought would come in/be a good choice.
Well it’s not my job to appoint managers but I wouldn’t necessarily have seen premier experience as crucial also the money that ancelotti would have hopefully opened the occasional door . Look I think the dreams of champions league are just that but mainland Europe managers for example with a style of football with hopes of building over 3 or 4 years I’d have taken that . Look let’s be candid there isn’t really an available manager in the world that would be more controversial.

as regards how much longer would they get , well you mention people wanting Koeman out after a half dozen games . I honestly never heard that kind of talk in numbers In the boozers , the ground or travelling or whatever not in big numbers not to say GOT isn’t representative but we all know it can be different . Im not saying some weren’t saying it but not enough fir me to notice or rather enough that I remember . If we lose our first three games I honestly think our new manager is in trouble . That’s insane , it’s not fair on him or us . My hope is with lots going on like when Rooney went that things might pull us as a squad even a club together . I can’t help but think that’ll be by mostly good luck mind .

Is being against a massively divisive appointment a reason? Because that's my only reason. Of course people will say that all managers get stick, yeah but not before a ball has even been kicked.

Every manager we were linked with was divisive. Every single one. Because the previous manager was Ancelotti, every one of them was considered a downgrade, the club is a basket case ran by incompetents, we were on a hiding to nothing.

So no, it isn't a reason, as it's not unique to him. If anything, I applaud the man for having the brass balls to take the job knowing just how many bedwetters wish him near enough physical harm.

There's been large portions of our fanbase who have been a legit embarrassment over this.

Prior Benitez, we'd only appointed Ancelotti since Brands has been in position, and on the board responsible/accountable for all football matters.

Brands is on record giving an endorsement to Benitez. We have to accept that as true. If it isn't, what a weasel he is.
That's not really my point though to be honest. The whole point of a DOF is to keep a steady hand on things when managers change. A person who controls the ethos of the club from first team right the way down to the kids so that any transition is seemless. Neither DOF we have had has done that so far as we get rid of managers quickly and then seem to completely change up what we are doing.

Take what ?

Less than we already have ?

AnDross & Demerera dont improve us.
''If he manages to clear out 90% of the garbage squad he's inherited and replace with players who are improve us then I'd take that''.

That. I'd take that. And be gone by Xmas if he doesn't.

Ultimately, he managed Liverpool. Boohoo. Get over it.

I'd have Salah, Mane, Van Dijk and Allison in a blue shirt tomorrow and wouldn't give a flying toss who they played for previously.

Judge him as an Everton manager based on what he does. Don't be irrationally prejudiced. It's not a big ask.
They’re actually good at what they do though, Benitez has been crap at what he does knocking on a decade now

Status
Not open for further replies.