Everton Youth Teams Thread

It’s difficult to pigeon hole him into a “ type of player” or say he’s like someone else. Firstly he’s not another Rooney , at 17 he’s not going to take the PL by storm this season , so lower any expectations you may have. I first really saw him about 18 months ago when he was a Schoolboy in a stream of some weird competition that we’d entered a young team in against older players. There wasn’t even a proper team sheet , no proper commentary , but he was playing behind the striker in the middle , like a 10 role, picking up the ball , moving it forward , tackling when needed but not a defensive mid, Onyango played that night. We lost , 2-1 I think, but for me he stood out .
At u18 he was initially one of 3 or 4 players used in rotation, often coming on as a sub , but he seemed to have the knack of scoring goals frequently for a “ midfielder” even from the subs bench.
After Christmas he kicked on again, scoring goals , playing his part in theYouth Cup run and really taking his chances at U23s by scoring goals including a hat trick against Southampton . Although he had a 9 on his back the other day when with the first team, I’ve never seen him as a striker , the nearest definition I’d put is he’s like a No10 who’s willing to work hard in midfield alongside or behind a striker . He strikes the ball well but not in a spectacular way, he’s quick but not speedy as say Gordon, I’d say he’s tenacious in the tackle but not in a defensive mid kind of way, gets up well to head the ball , but not like DCL, he’s comparatively slight but holds his own . I think it’s his football brain which has set him apart so far , speed of thought, being in the right place at the right time, playing the right ball, playing with maturity for one so young.

Again caution is needed. He’s 17 a lot of developing still needed , he’s a long way from being a regular first team squad player and we’ve had youngsters show promise in pre season before then get left behind. . Having said that, I haven’t seen him this season, he has the ability to surprise in his speed of development , so let’s just see how he does .

Sounds a bit like Cahill?

From what I've seen of the lad, probably 4 or 5 games. I'd say that description is spot on! Certainly has an eye for goal despite not being an out and out striker, bright, takes the ball well on the turn which usually bought him time against youth level defenders. His hat-trick was against a woeful Southampton team but he showed a hunger for goals which I hope he maintains - that at least is Cahill-like, though there the similarities ended.

My maybe controversial opinion: I can see Lawrence making his senior debut this seasons just to spite Small
Lawrence is of course well known to other clubs from his international exploits etc, but we may be cautious about starting a Schoolboy , until he’s signed a contract. I , think but am not sure , he can sign a Scholar contract at 16 , then of course we need to get him to 17 and a pro contract.

Lawrence is of course well known to other clubs from his international exploits etc, but we may be cautious about starting a Schoolboy , until he’s signed a contract. I , think but am not sure , he can sign a Scholar contract at 16 , then of course we need to get him to 17 and a pro contract.
Im pretty sure he has a really early birthday. Not saying he's gonna be playing a lot but it's looking like he could be fast tracked straight through the 18s to 23s. I'm not even sure if it'd be legal for him to play till he's 16 as I know it wasn't for Dortmund with Moukoko

Im pretty sure he has a really early birthday. Not saying he's gonna be playing a lot but it's looking like he could be fast tracked straight through the 18s to 23s. I'm not even sure if it'd be legal for him to play till he's 16 as I know it wasn't for Dortmund with Moukoko
Yes indeed, “ a 16th birthday before January 1st” is the closest I got and if he’s as good as anticipated fast tracking will happen.

Elliot played for Fulham at 15 in the league cup

My maybe controversial opinion: I can see Lawrence making his senior debut this seasons just to spite Small
As someone who knows Emilio very, very well, he’s absolutely miles away.

He’s a good player in his age group but let’s not get carried away.

On the negative side, I don’t know what’s going on at Everton but we’re being left behind massively by a lot of clubs at Academy level. We’ve gone from being a much respected cat 1 Academy, one of the better ones, to one of the weaker academies who are now making up the numbers in this category.

There’s lots of big players on the move this summer at u16/17/18 level and we’re not even in the conversation.

It’s also going to take a very good offer to get Emilio to sign a contract here. I wouldn’t be surprised if he also refuses a scholar and moves on to City, United or Liverpool, maybe even the likes of Villa, Brighton, Palace or Leeds who are also pulling in some big players right now and where he’ll just be a good player, not a stand out.

Just to put a bit of perspective on the idea that he’ll be playing first team football this year.

Last edited:
Yes indeed, “ a 16th birthday before January 1st” is the closest I got and if he’s as good as anticipated fast tracking will happen.
As someone who knows Emilio very, very well, he’s absolutely miles away.

He’s a good player in his age group but let’s not get carried away.

On the negative side, I don’t know what’s going on at Everton but we’re being left behind massively by a lot of clubs at Academy level. We’ve gone from being much respected cat 1 Academy to one of the weaker academies, making up the numbers in this category.

It’s going to take a big contract offer to get Emilio to sign a contract here. I wouldn’t be surprised if he also refuses a scholar and moves on to City or United, maybe even the likes of Villa, Brighton or Leeds who are also pulling in some big players right now and where, he’ll just be a good player, not a stand out.

Just to put a bit of perspective on the idea that he’ll be playing first team football this year.
For me it’s recruitment & pathway. Other Cat 1 academies are consistently recruiting, whilst Everton aren’t. Granted they’ve had the ban on signing english players for two years, however even this summer they haven’t been as active in the market as some the other Cat 1 academics you mentioned.

Also, there isn’t a clear pathway at the moment from the academy to the first team. Plans need to be put into place to provide a clear pathway so we don’t continue to lose our youngsters, such as Thierry Small, who see a better opportunity for first team football elsewhere