Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I don't often do this, but as rightly, people talk about medication and mental health, I thought I would explain so we can all understand what happens physically when we get depressed.ill try to keep it short so it won't bore you.

Our brain produces and releases these chemicals called seratonin. This chemical basically is responsible for our mood etc ( making us feel good etc ). When we get low anxious, our brain doesn't produce enough of these feel good chemicals. Or and this is a bummer, it releases these " nice chemicals " but instead of letting them swish around our brain making us feel good etc, it then reabsorbs them into the part of brain that releases them. What the anti depressants do is stimulate our brain to produce these " feeling nice " chemicals and cleverly, anti depressants like SSRIs, stop the " feeling nice " chemicals from being reabsorbed into our brains. Allowing the " feeling nice" chemicals to swish around our brain a lot longer and thus, improving our mood and lifting our depression.
I hope this has helped people understand a bit more about what happens physically when we get depressed and how the medication prescribed to us is SUPPOSED to work. I apologise in advance if you knew about this, I just hope it helps those who don't understand a bit more. Cheers for being patient and for letting me ramble on.

And anxiety problems can be caused by an over production of the stress hormone cortisol, where the brain overreacts to stressful situations and becomes locked into a cycle ?

And anxiety problems can be caused by an over production of the stress hormone cortisol, where the brain overreacts to stressful situations and becomes locked into a cycle ?
As usual COYB, you are correct, especially with the excercise part of your post. Of course we are not talking about exact science - far too complicated to be exact - hence the trial and error with medications. What I would encourage everyone to do is never stop taking your meds, even if you think they aren't working. Continue taking them and speak to a health professional about your issues.

Well said COYB

Thanks @Spotty & @COYBL25

I think it’s hugely important for people who come to this thread to know that their issues can be traced to a physical occurrence that is no fault of theirs. Keep up the great work in here.

Great shout about exercise @COYBL25. I think it gets suggested so often in here that the suggestion kind of loses its impact, but I can totally attest to the amazing properties of exercise when it comes to boosting mental health. I’ve been on something of a fitness journey for a couple of years and that’s helped my physical health enormously but I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that I am more focussed and raring to go for work after a gym session and that my mood in general (especially around the kids who I can get snappy with) is elevated.

Thanks @Spotty & @COYBL25

I think it’s hugely important for people who come to this thread to know that their issues can be traced to a physical occurrence that is no fault of theirs. Keep up the great work in here.

Great shout about exercise @COYBL25. I think it gets suggested so often in here that the suggestion kind of loses its impact, but I can totally attest to the amazing properties of exercise when it comes to boosting mental health. I’ve been on something of a fitness journey for a couple of years and that’s helped my physical health enormously but I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that I am more focussed and raring to go for work after a gym session and that my mood in general (especially around the kids who I can get snappy with) is elevated.

I think the hardest part for people suffering with depression, is that you can feel so low, that doing anything at all is a struggle, let alone going to the gym or out for a run.

If you can crack that barrier and make it part of your weekly / daily routine, even if it’s just a brisk walk or a few miles on the bike, the benefits soon follow - mood improves, you sleep better, appetite improves etc.

It’s just taking that first step and getting yourself out there.

I think the hardest part for people suffering with depression, is that you can feel so low, that doing anything at all is a struggle, let alone going to the gym or out for a run.

If you can crack that barrier and make it part of your weekly / daily routine, even if it’s just a brisk walk or a few miles on the bike, the benefits soon follow - mood improves, you sleep better, appetite improves etc.

Couldn’t agree more. For me, every time I’ve tried before (including this time), the first couple of weeks were always easy because it’s all new and exciting and you see results early. The issue always came when I expected the motivation to exercise to magically appear; this time I’ve learned that the exercise is what gives you the motivation to continue. You just have to will yourself out of bed or off the couch and you’re halfway there.

Unfortunately have to say this

Hand in hand with that is having to accept you may need plenty of first steps

Because tough thing is you may have to pick yourself up off the floor more than once. I know myself how I have been at the very lowest. barely leaving the house for weeks barely feeling human. Eventually manage to take those steps and get in a good place things going well. Only for it all come crashing down again due to one reason or another. A bad event can particularly just knock over all the progres you've made and you feel like you regress

It's true though once you've picked yourself off the floor once you know that you can do it again. Just have to be prepared for how horrible this disease is and how much strength it takes to live with it

So my wife and 5 year old son are moving out on Saturday. My wife has got so into conspiracy theories I can't handle it anymore. It's relentless, she can't make friends with anyone that isn't "enlightened". It's utter madness. I'm both happy she's going and sad for the woman I have lost, who no longer exists. I will still see my son every day so that's great and will get time to myself for the first time in years which is really important to me. I'm getting anxious though because my wife doesn't like him mixing with other kids, but we are in Spain and he has to learn the language and I take him out every day to do stuff but I'm worried what will happen when I'm not there. I suspect I'm worrying about nothing and I can only control what I do with him. Just feels like yet more pressure I can do without. The whole world has gone crazy but I feel like this split will make both of our lives better and we both live for my son so hopefully he will be fine too. Happy weekend Benítez lovers. I feel better for having shared

So my wife and 5 year old son are moving out on Saturday. My wife has got so into conspiracy theories I can't handle it anymore. It's relentless, she can't make friends with anyone that isn't "enlightened". It's utter madness. I'm both happy she's going and sad for the woman I have lost, who no longer exists. I will still see my son every day so that's great and will get time to myself for the first time in years which is really important to me. I'm getting anxious though because my wife doesn't like him mixing with other kids, but we are in Spain and he has to learn the language and I take him out every day to do stuff but I'm worried what will happen when I'm not there. I suspect I'm worrying about nothing and I can only control what I do with him. Just feels like yet more pressure I can do without. The whole world has gone crazy but I feel like this split will make both of our lives better and we both live for my son so hopefully he will be fine too. Happy weekend Benítez lovers. I feel better for having shared
That's so sad but you appear to have thought this through and are doing the right thing. It sounds like your wife might need some professional help if conspiracy theories have affected her so much, she has lost her marriage. You are right, you can control what you and your little boy do - he needs to meet other kids and learn the language. Good luck to you.

So sad but I hope that you all find peace and happiness, wishing you all the best.

That's so sad but you appear to have thought this through and are doing the right thing. It sounds like your wife might need some professional help if conspiracy theories have affected her so much, she has lost her marriage. You are right, you can control what you and your little boy do - he needs to meet other kids and learn the language. Good luck to you.
Thank s it's really emotional for me because I went through a terrible experience when my parents split around the same time. I think my tears are for the little boy I was. He won't have the same experience I hope

So sad but I hope that you all find peace and happiness, wishing you all the best.
Thank you I really appreciate it. I feel it's a chance for me to escape and rebuild my life. I've already mourned the loss of who she was. Not dissimilar to when both my nan and step dad went into full time care with dementia. Where they slowly disappeared before they died.

So many people make things worse by staying together for the kid(s). You’ve made a hard choice for the right reasons. Good on you.

Sounds like a really tough situation mate. But you seem to be thinking about it carefully and looking for the best for everyone, especially your son. Good luck.