Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised that the EU have allowed this to happen on their turf. Competition and fair play represent one of their key pillars.

I fully get that clubs shouldn't be allowed to overspend and make persistent huge losses that are not sustainable. But why are rich owners prevented from investing money into the game if they wish to?. As long as it's invested in equity or at least a commitment to convert to equity at a future date then what's the problem.

The sport is full of rich people taking money out of the game, elite players and agents for example. Why on earth would you want to stop other rich people replacing those funds?

I think it was an attempt by Uefa to control the financial market similar to how we control inflation in the conomy, the market was getting out of control so the restrictions were to slow the rate of inflation in the market realty and to provide pathways for funds to be redistributed to infrstructure and part of the game in need of investment that fell of the priority list, kind of like interest rates. It was all a bit rude and clunky and clubs found ways to play the system unfairly, but as we are in a deflationary cycle i think there will be miles of leeway. Ultimately no one wins if football hit the skids.

How about Kabak? Unimpressive at Liverpool, but he had hard luck there with injuries and is young enough to shrug off his Anfield experience. They got shut because they bought Konate and VVD is returning and they have Gomez and Matip.

I know some dont see it as a priortiy postion for us, but he's good on the ball and in the air and has pace. Schalke are desperate for cash and we could get him for £6M or £7M.

Thought he was decent for Liverpool in general. Schalke want €15m.

Sod FFP, it is not a fair rule and I do believe it would get chased out of court on anti-competition grounds, it's a load of BS designed to keep certain clubs at the top.
You seem to forget that FFP is not International Law.
It is part of the Rules laid out by UEFA/FIFA that Clubs sign up to adhere to when they choose to play in officially sanctioned leagues and competitions.
Clubs can opt out of UEFA/FIFA sanctioned leagues and competitions if they want, but they would struggle to get a game anywhere.

I really don’t understand the moans about not being able to sell. Everyone freely admits our players who we’d like to sell are useless, so why would other clubs want to buy? You can’t blame brands for not being able to shift the deadwood when they are that bad.

You can when he bought most of them.

I think it was an attempt by Uefa to control the financial market similar to how we control inflation in the conomy, the market was getting out of control so the restrictions were to slow the rate of inflation in the market realty and to provide pathways for funds to be redistributed to infrstructure and part of the game in need of investment that fell of the priority list, kind of like interest rates. It was all a bit rude and clunky and clubs found ways to play the system unfairly, but as we are in a deflationary cycle i think there will be miles of leeway. Ultimately no one wins if football hit the skids.
Yeah, I get the financial controls element as I said in my post. I was specifically referring to the restrictions in owners putting their own cash into the clubs. Provided this is done in the right way, i.e equity or legal commitment to convert to equity within a specific timespan, then surely this aids the future security of the game.

The only logical reason for restricting owner investment is to protect the already "elite clubs"

I really don’t understand the moans about not being able to sell. Everyone freely admits our players who we’d like to sell are useless, so why would other clubs want to buy? You can’t blame brands for not being able to shift the deadwood when they are that bad.
We can, as a lot of that dead wood was bought by him in the first place.

How about Kabak? Unimpressive at Liverpool, but he had hard luck there with injuries and is young enough to shrug off his Anfield experience. They got shut because they bought Konate and VVD is returning and they have Gomez and Matip.

I know some dont see it as a priortiy postion for us, but he's good on the ball and in the air and has pace. Schalke are desperate for cash and we could get him for £6M or £7M.
Not for me

Yes I agree with all of that mate.

I am not sure re Sancho though, in years gone by, when the market just kept growing YOY even with a year left he still had 2 on his deal (I believe) it's very hard to see a premium player not at least holding- if not growing his value. That is very much canary in the mine sort of stuff for football. If a Jadon Sancho, a 21 year old superstar really is losing substantial value, it's a big worry for the rest of the market.

On the 2nd point exactly this. A lot of the top teams are struggling to offload their rubbish to others. Nobody is going to take our rubbish. We have to look a lot more at wages, and also importantly for me length of contract. I'd like to see a lot more 2-3 year deal with optional 1 year extensions for the club. It would at least stop us being hit with the huge wage costs and allow us to "get out" of certain deals. Honestly, I think if the club could just get out of Tosun, Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Gomes, Bernard etc even with no fee attached it would give us an awful lot of wriggle room we don't have.

Re Sancho, his value was always likely to drop with a year less remaining on his contract.

On transfers I think we are going to see two different types of market. The market for elite players will continue to grow and fees will continue to rise. The market for lesser players, or punts etc is going to dramatically reduce in value. Teams won't be willing to pay 30m on a perceived gamble because of the current economic position. What I really hope to see happen is a reduction in the astronomical wages given to lesser players in the top flight. It's not sustainable in the current form, and we are one of the worst examples of it.

Agree with both of these views. However in addressing the isssue we have two fundamental problems - one is Everton's and one is general.

We are wannabees, and so without European footy (or the Ancelotti factor) the only way we can compete in the transfer market with teams that are in the CL is to pay more and offer longer contracts (security), generally to players in the 2nd half of their career, shall we say. Nothing new here.

The general problem is the influence and utter control of the market that agents have. This is the curse of football in its present state. When Gianni Infantino succeeded that crook Blatter, he came in on a primary promise to eradicate the 'scourge of agents' from football. Since then, their influence and control has increased tenfold as far as I see it (just look at how Paolo Mendes lurks over the influence of the clubs Nuno Espirito Santo has been touted for). For this reason I fully agree that elite players will always commend elite fees - superagents hold all the cards. Lesser players will use this level as their reference point, and so will lesser agents.

Unfortunately the grip the agents have over the game now looks like a complete stranglehold, with no prospect of escape.

He looked slower than Keane the few times I have seen it. Also looked as terrified as Keane but he had a bad few months tbf to him

Yeah, I get the financial controls element as I said in my post. I was specifically referring to the restrictions in owners putting their own cash into the clubs. Provided this is done in the right way, i.e equity or legal commitment to convert to equity within a specific timespan, then surely this aids the future security of the game.

The only logical reason for restricting owner investment is to protect the already "elite clubs"
All it has done has cemented those established clubs as established clubs, getting richer and richer and therefore can spend more and more, while clubs like us struggle to compete because we don't have the same spending power and never will whilst FFP is in play. If we can't compete despite our owner wishing too, what the hell is the point, we may as well fold.

We simply have to bring in another CM though, that midfield is far too one paced and we have nobody who can actually push forward with the ball and offer a decent pass. If we don't then it's all going to end up down the wide areas which will make us very limited and very easy to play against, we have to mix the options up a bit.
We need to bring in goal scoring midfielders the list provided from the other poster had about 2 goals between them if that , we cant rely on both forwards and the odd centre half for goals we need to increase the goals scored from last year by at least 20 if we are going to push on , easier said than done i know

We simply have to bring in another CM though, that midfield is far too one paced and we have nobody who can actually push forward with the ball and offer a decent pass. If we don't then it's all going to end up down the wide areas which will make us very limited and very easy to play against, we have to mix the options up a bit.

After spending £100m on a midfield, we still need a new midfield. That is not a way to run a football club.

Status
Not open for further replies.