New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Benitez is going to be hated, then as I see it, he might as well have a purpose in being hated whilst he is here.

It's an ideal opportunity for a culture change, if it came about I couldn't care less that it was ex-RS that turned out to be either the catalyst or stooge for it, as long as it resulted in tangible improvement and progress.

I don't see it in those terms though. It's another Moshiri appointment. We're not long from the man interfering in team selection. I don't see Benitez doing anything at all to rock the boat, principally because the powers that be don't want it rocked.

Well communications rather than PR, but 2 sides of the same coin! No and no. Seriously the clubs communications are awful, they handle things absolutely dreadfully. I know an ex director of comms at Everton who thinks the club is absolutely wonderful and won’t hear a bad word said about them- except when it comes to comms.

I'm glad you've said that.

That was always my feeling with Everton, and what's funny is its lasted through different regimes.

No doubt they will do the wrong thing with Benitez as well, where they should go in the offensive with a big announcement and tackle some of the issues head on, it will be low key. We do seem to sell managers down the river really.

Spot on.

They have no idea that's how the majority of us feel. We want a sweep clean of all the failed coaches who have unforgivably and inexplicably survived 5/6 managers.

The officers and owners of this club are utterly clueless of the mood amongst fans.
I agree with you but is it how the majority of fans feel? I honestly don't know, based on here probably is.

But lot of fans seem fine with Ferguson, Unsworth et al hanging around forever with no pressure or expectations to actually do anything, apart from being proper blues.

They seem like window dressing to show the fans that the board get them and the club.

If Benitez is going to be hated, then as I see it, he might as well have a purpose in being hated whilst he is here.

It's an ideal opportunity for a culture change, if it came about I couldn't care less that it was ex-RS that turned out to be either the catalyst or stooge for it, as long as it resulted in tangible improvement and progress.

I don't see it in those terms though. It's another Moshiri appointment. We're not long from the man interfering in team selection. I don't see Benitez doing anything at all to rock the boat, principally because the powers that be don't want it rocked.
Wasn't there a quote the other day where a source believed it'd be the best appointment or the worse - one way or another - and nothing in-between.

Moshiri choosing Benitez, with all the potential pitfalls behind it, may suggest he does want a direction change: what we need rather than what we want.

Or it may be the most convenient choice for him rather than the club. I hope it's the former... no, I pray it's the former.

At this point, it appears that Benitez is going to be the new manager. Parking all emotion and sentiment, we need to get on with making the appointment as soon as possible so that the job of work can begin in earnest - because it's a big one. A summer of major transfer activity is a must. However, the biggest detail that I am now interested in is not the identity of the new manager. It is the length of the new manager's contract. In football terms, Benitez has the most impressive CV of the plausible contenders. That's not a surprise. His CV is obviously superior to 99% of managers. But we should be giving him a two-year deal and nothing more.

In the modern game, managers last an average of 18 months. It would be crazy to give any manager longer than two years. One year is too short a contract for the job ahead - there must be a modicum of stability and a fair time frame for a manager to make an impression. Three is too long - twice the length of the average managerial tenure. Two is the sweet spot. If he has a stellar first season, we can extend it by another year and roll it over. If the first year is a disaster, the pay off will be less than it would be if Moshiri loses the run of himself.

As for Duncan Ferguson, well, clearly he has inveigled his way into a very comfortable position. He's far too useful to the hierarchy as a token fan gesture than he ever would be as an actual coach. He is the fig leaf of respectability to whatever managerial ticket they put together, and the ideal caretaker when it all goes wrong. That's a job for life. He clearly has no interest in being his own man when being a kept man is far more secure and lucrative. I respect that, for what it is. But it means he will never be the Everton manager - and that, frankly, is a good thing as far as I am concerned.
I agree with most of what you say
But we don’t really know what Duncan brings to the party
I’ve been told he’s a really good and respected coach. I know DCL speaks very highly of him
When Kean was brought off after just coming on I thought that was pretty ruthless to be honest and that’s what makes good managers. I think it’s a tad harsh on Duncan and until he gets a proper go at things be it here or somewhere else we will never know.
I agree with everything else though mate. I think your spot on

I'm glad you've said that.Low

That was always my feeling with Everton, and what's funny is its lasted through different regimes.

No doubt they will do the wrong thing with Benitez as well, where they should go in the offensive with a big announcement and tackle some of the issues head on, it will be low key. We do seem to sell managers down the river really.
Low key is definitely the way to go with Benitez, the man has no redeeming qualities. If it works on the football side, so be it, but please no cringey PR stuff like we did for Martinez.

I agree with you but is it how the majority of fans feel? I honestly don't know, based on here probably is.

But lot of fans seem fine with Ferguson, Unsworth et al hanging around forever with no pressure or expectations to actually do anything, apart from being proper blues.

They seem like window dressing to show the fans that the board get them and the club.
Let's put it this way: if the club got shut of them there'd be no protests.

I agree with most of what you say
But we don’t really know what Duncan brings to the party
I’ve been told he’s a really good and respected coach. I know DCL speaks very highly of him
When Kean was brought off after just coming on I thought that was pretty ruthless to be honest and that’s what makes good managers. I think it’s a tad harsh on Duncan and until he gets a proper go at things be it here or somewhere else we will never know.
I agree with everything else though mate. I think your spot on
I think now is the time for Dunc to move on and gain experiences elsewhere ,seen the interview on toffee TV where he said the hardest time for him was under big Sam saying when we won the crowd would still boo and to an extent that could well happen again under benitez

Status
Not open for further replies.