New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point only Moyes would make sense to me, for 3 reasons:

1. He's loyal, knows the club inside and out.
2. He has proven himself again in the PL with West Ham.
3. He will now he backed more financially like never before.

Give him the same 4 years people wanted to give the Italian Fraud and he will I am sure stabilise the club, not take crap from sulking players. If he can work properly with Brands, veto any of his crap ideas and bring in high potential players, I don't a see a reason why in 3 years time we can't be sustainable around top 6.

We've taken too many gambles thanks to poor appointments and seeking refuge in over priced discards and frauds like Carlo. We can illafford another gamble.
You may want to revise point 1.

At this point only Moyes would make sense to me, for 3 reasons:

1. He's loyal, knows the club inside and out.
2. He has proven himself again in the PL with West Ham.
3. He will now he backed more financially like never before.

Give him the same 4 years people wanted to give the Italian Fraud and he will I am sure stabilise the club, not take crap from sulking players. If he can work properly with Brands, veto any of his crap ideas and bring in high potential players, I don't a see a reason why in 3 years time we can't be sustainable around top 6.

We've taken too many gambles thanks to poor appointments and seeking refuge in over priced discards and frauds like Carlo. We can illafford another gamble.
Erm?...

I genuinely don’t even really understand what xg is, nevermind use it to decide whether a manager is good or not, but I’ve got eyes. Watching football tells me that potter has done a good job at Brighton - maybe not good enough to want him here, but good enough to think there’s worse options. Maybe it’s not that only weirdos who love xg see it, but that only dinosaurs don’t?

That’s like saying Martinez did a good job at Everton because we were entertaining to neutrals?

I genuinely don’t even really understand what xg is, nevermind use it to decide whether a manager is good or not, but I’ve got eyes. Watching football tells me that potter has done a good job at Brighton - maybe not good enough to want him here, but good enough to think there’s worse options. Maybe it’s not that only weirdos who love xg see it, but that only dinosaurs don’t?

I think the issue with Xg is its spoken about in an incredibly exclusionary way.

It's basically just how many goals they would think you should score on average from any given shot. They then get added up at the end of games and across a season. With the obvious caveat that there are slightly different ways of measuring it, I think it's a really useful way of measuring how many chances you are making and how well you are playing.

The big issue with Xg is it doesnt factor in the quality of finishing/goalkeeping and to a degree goalkeeping.

That’s like saying Martinez did a good job at Everton because we were entertaining to neutrals?
It’s not though is it. We went backwards under Martinez, they haven’t gone backwards. We weren’t meeting our objectives under Martinez (evidenced by us sacking him), they are meeting their objectives under potter (evidenced by them giving him a new contract). Martinez didn’t improve players, potter does. Martinez had a - not always deserved - reputation for being entertaining but ultimately massively flawed, potter has a reputation for having a pretty well rounded system. I honestly think it’s just a lazy comparison because they’re both at unfashionable clubs.

I’d like to see us get someone more proven than potter; he’s too big a risk for me because you don’t know how he’d deal with the added pressure, whether he could deliver on the promise he’s shown so far etc, but as I said earlier, the idea that you can’t look at what a manager is doing - with your eyes - and think ‘seems to have some potential despite not necessarily getting the results’ is just weird to me. We do it with players all the time, there’s no difference.

Which would be false because we were never entertaining attacking teams after that first year. We might have been entertaining for neutrals as we were awful defending and would always balls up a lead.

We got coined “The Entertainers” by Danny Murphy in the third season after we lost 4-3 at home to Stoke.

It’s not though is it. We went backwards under Martinez, they haven’t gone backwards. We weren’t meeting our objectives under Martinez (evidenced by us sacking him), they are meeting their objectives under potter (evidenced by them giving him a new contract). Martinez didn’t improve players, potter does. Martinez had a - not always deserved - reputation for being entertaining but ultimately massively flawed, potter has a reputation for having a pretty well rounded system. I honestly think it’s just a lazy comparison because they’re both at unfashionable clubs.

I’d like to see us get someone more proven than potter; he’s too big a risk for me because you don’t know how he’d deal with the added pressure, whether he could deliver on the promise he’s shown so far etc, but as I said earlier, the idea that you can’t look at what a manager is doing - with your eyes - and think ‘seems to have some potential despite not necessarily getting the results’ is just weird to me. We do it with players all the time, there’s no difference.

I look at Potter and see a bottom half Premier League manager. If he ever proves you right and progresses past that I’ll gladly reassess my opinion of him. But I’d rather us not appoint a bottom half Premier League manager as it stands right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.