Homepage Article The Beautiful and Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
@catcherintherye's latest article is now online - well worth a read;

What promised to be a transformative season for Everton...
Missing " yet another" in there.

@catcherintherye what are the similarities with Atletico?

I think our similarities with Atletico would be that they are/were very much a tier 2 outfit as I would call them (below the top 7/8 super teams in turnover) but with additional funds have probably become a sort of hybrid of what to do between being a super team and being a very dynamic club (thinking of your Lille's, Leipzigs etc). To a degree Dortmund are close to that space, and Spurs were for a time.

I sense with Moshiri's money and impatience, if we were to be successful that might be a better space for us to operate than going the full RB Leipzig way.

In terms of the specificity of the team and manager and in this article it was more about a playing style. Atletico have developed a style that works for them, but it isn't trying to emulate what the dominant trends of the top teams are. As I think I mentioned, big, strong, powerful, organised, good at set pieces etc. You could say like an elite Burnley. I think thats a good model to follow actually.

I mean some say you will hit a glass ceiling playing that way, but to me Atletico seem to disprove this somewhat.

That was the thinking.

I think our similarities with Atletico would be that they are/were very much a tier 2 outfit as I would call them (below the top 7/8 super teams in turnover) but with additional funds have probably become a sort of hybrid of what to do between being a super team and being a very dynamic club (thinking of your Lille's, Leipzigs etc). To a degree Dortmund are close to that space, and Spurs were for a time.

I sense with Moshiri's money and impatience, if we were to be successful that might be a better space for us to operate than going the full RB Leipzig way.

In terms of the specificity of the team and manager and in this article it was more about a playing style. Atletico have developed a style that works for them, but it isn't trying to emulate what the dominant trends of the top teams are. As I think I mentioned, big, strong, powerful, organised, good at set pieces etc. You could say like an elite Burnley. I think thats a good model to follow actually.

I mean some say you will hit a glass ceiling playing that way, but to me Atletico seem to disprove this somewhat.

That was the thinking.

I think Atletico play far more attractive football than alot of teams.

The differentiator is that their players have the winning mentality and follow the tactical structure which Simeone puts into place.

Compare that with the Keane, Gomes, Iwobi and Sigurdsson signings and we look a soft touch.

What is perhaps also worth noting is that we scored 21 goals in our first 10 games, and then just another 26 in the remaining 28 games. We started the season with real fluency and it descended into a style of football that Allardyce would have been perhaps proud of and crucified for. In that 28 game period, we achieved just 2 wins by more than a 1 goal margin.

What is perhaps also worth noting is that we scored 21 goals in our first 10 games, and then just another 26 in the remaining 28 games. We started the season with real fluency and it descended into a style of football that Allardyce would have been perhaps proud of and crucified for. In that 28 game period, we achieved just 2 wins by more than a 1 goal margin.
But isn't the game about grinding a result after 90 minutes?

Posted other day. Leicesters midfield chipped in with almost 30 goals last season.
Evertons entire midfield never got into double figures. And sigurdsson got 6 of those.
Gomes 0
Allan 0
Davies 0
Iwobi 1
Doucoure 2.
3 goals from 5 midfielders. I havent looked but id be amazed if there was worse in the league last year outside the bottom 3.

Posted other day. Leicesters midfield chipped in with almost 30 goals last season.
Evertons entire midfield never got into double figures. And sigurdsson got 6 of those.
Gomes 0
Allan 0
Davies 0
Iwobi 1
Doucoure 2.
3 goals from 5 midfielders. I havent looked but id be amazed if there was worse in the league last year outside the bottom 3.
And half of Sig's goals were penalties. It's certainly far from ideal to have nearly all of our scoring threat from two players. In our last 13 games we scored just 8 goals. Indeed, after the derby in February we scored 10 goals in our last 15 games, which given that lack of potency in front of goal we did quite well to scrape 18 points from those games, but it was an awful end to the season. especially as we started the season at the top of the table and had real chances of Europe nearly to the end.

And half of Sig's goals were penalties. It's certainly far from ideal to have nearly all of our scoring threat from two players. In our last 13 games we scored just 8 goals. Indeed, after the derby in February we scored 10 goals in our last 15 games, which given that lack of potency in front of goal we did quite well to scrape 18 points from those games, but it was an awful end to the season. especially as we started the season at the top of the table and had real chances of Europe nearly to the end.

We definitely need to get more goals into the team. I'd say as a % of goals in a team, DCL's must be right up there for an Everton team.

Status
Not open for further replies.