Homepage Article Marco Silva Everton Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member

“The second season was more difficult. We sold Idrissa Gueye to PSG and he had been fundamental for us. The replacement was Jean-Philippe Gbamin but unfortunately he got injured and we never had him available. We also missed Kurt Zouma as he had returned to Chelsea."

Shots fired at Brands who ultimately cost him his job imo.

“The second season was more difficult. We sold Idrissa Gueye to PSG and he had been fundamental for us. The replacement was Jean-Philippe Gbamin but unfortunately he got injured and we never had him available. We also missed Kurt Zouma as he had returned to Chelsea."

Shots fired at Brands who ultimately cost him his job imo.

....I don’t think so. Silva selected Gbamin when he openly said he‘d missed pre-season training & wasn’t match fit. muscle fatigue following a few games in a short-spell is the likely cause. Brands can’t be blamed for team selection.

I agree Zouma was pivotal. I assume Brands was given assurances we could have him on a permanent, but Lampard came in & wanted a look at his squad. When Brands turned his attention to Tomori, David Luis left on the last day of the window meaning Chelsea kept all their CBs.

I suppose Brands could be blamed for assuming Zouma would be acquired.

He clearly has very different memories of his first season then I do. What he describes as "obviously very good" I would describe as mostly garbage and borderline sackable form until around March when we had a little purple patch (with some admittedly good results against Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd) that turned an utterly shambolic season into just another mediocre one.

Smooth self-promotion, as always. Deflects blame without fully avoiding responsibility for it.

The argument is basically, "The first season things went our way, the second season we lost some players due to transfers and injury, I wasn't able to overcome those challenges, and the club decided to make a change."

This lets the listener hear, or not hear, the italicized portion of the argument as they so choose.

....I don’t think so. Silva selected Gbamin when he openly said he‘d missed pre-season training & wasn’t match fit. muscle fatigue following a few games in a short-spell is the likely cause. Brands can’t be blamed for team selection.

I agree Zouma was pivotal. I assume Brands was given assurances we could have him on a permanent, but Lampard came in & wanted a look at his squad. When Brands turned his attention to Tomori, David Luis left on the last day of the window meaning Chelsea kept all their CBs.

I suppose Brands could be blamed for assuming Zouma would be acquired.
The only argument with that is that Lampard would surely want to have looked at all of the Chelsea squad so when Zouma fell through why did Brands then start looking at another Chelsea player? he should have just walked away from them and gone elsewhere it was just lazy to not have an alternative, it's putting all your eggs(sorry) in one basket

I semi forgot about him tbh. I couldn't give you the dates of the seasons he managed without looking.

I wonder if he’s still flogging those massive watches.

C2E3C665-CE42-488D-890C-50F0FEB5B775.jpeg

Nice fella, awful premier league Manager would be my summation.

You would have thought the relegation under his belt would have been a bit of a red flag but not for Kenwright and co and then low and behold 18 months later he took us down to 3rd from bottom mostly due to his arrogant refusal to ever change and adapt.

So yeah nice guy but nothing he says now about Everton is of any value imo.

Id have a bit of sympathy for him, the transfer window the summer of 19/20 was gloriously woeful, which was a huge pity because the last third of the season 18/19 - we looked to really be making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.