Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all of that mate.

But the key is perseverence, and I'm not sure the club, manager, owner or fans are going to massively want to do that currently.

I can see why they will want players who can come in and make a quick difference.
You're right. We are where we are.

It'll be interesting to see Ancellotti's direction this summer. It all sounds simple at the moment doesn't it. Sign 3 or 4 players that'll fix our home form and even if we manage 3 or 4 more wins we'll be close or in the Champions league places.

The reality however is that even with those 3 or 4 top players our squad will still be weaker than City, Manu, Chelsea and the RS and arguably others.

If we qualify for Europe then even to stand still in the league we may need more players. There's a part of me that wonders if we'd be better without lower level Europe competition next year.

The big difficulty with searching for said gems is that the level of risks goes up the less experience at the top level they have. We have certainly tried to find a few gems under Walsh mainly and to a degree Brands, but the PL is a uniquely challenging league where players often need time to settle. We are a fanbse who aren't great on that, and the owner even less so.

I can understand why someone like Pereira showing he can deliver in the PL is a big plus for people in recruitment. The same to a degree with Berge and Anguissa from Fulham. I've always felt it was a smart ploy by teams to look to sign the better players from sides who get relegated, who have shown they can cope with the demands of the PL. It worked very well for us with Lescott, Baines and Jagielka. You have to pay a bit of a premium but you remove a fair bit of the risk involved.

I can only see Pereira coming if Bernard left, and if Coutinho didn't come. Both of these things could happen, but thats just my feeling. I think he will be a good signing for someone though that Pereira, if you build your side around him.
Signing some players like that is a perfectly good strategy, but you still need to be looking for value elsewhere too. People get obsessed with the idea of them being complete unknowns that only we’ve heard of but that really doesn’t have to be the case. It’s just signing good players before their price doubles/trebles. We haven’t done anywhere near enough of it, and I’m not sure how long we can keep paying premiums for before it catches up with us.

Go back to bed.
James has one more season with us and despite being amazing I doubt he will be playing 30 or more games next season especially if we get into Europe

Olise and Pereria can play all across the front so we can move the likes of Bernard and Sigurdsson on.

Olise can also play in the middle of midfield too.

Both for the price of a Bolaise

James has one more season with us and despite being amazing I doubt he will be playing 30 or more games next season especially if we get into Europe

Olise and Pereria can play all across the front so we can move the likes of Bernard and Sigurdsson on.

Olise can also play in the middle of midfield too.

Both for the price of a Bolaise

Completely unrealistic.

....no idea if Rafael Borre has been mentioned, I’ve not seem him linked but I wonder if he might be on Brands radar.

25 years of age, Colombian, decent scoring record for River Plate, contract up this summer (I think) & Watford sniffing around.

Aaron’s is off the table apparently because we don’t want to enter into a bidding war
I think this is a result of Gabriel messing us around last summer. Club won’t want to get into another protracted saga. As Carlo said, if players don’t say yes when asked if they want to join then we move on.

Signing some players like that is a perfectly good strategy, but you still need to be looking for value elsewhere too. People get obsessed with the idea of them being complete unknowns that only we’ve heard of but that really doesn’t have to be the case. It’s just signing good players before their price doubles/trebles. We haven’t done anywhere near enough of it, and I’m not sure how long we can keep paying premiums for before it catches up with us.

Precisely this. using Bailey as an example, he had a poor season in 19-20 and was probably valued around £20-25m. He's now probably valued closer to £40m but German clubs like Bayer aren't in a great financial position.

But even if you did have to go out and spend £35/40m on him, it's worth it for the quality you're getting and his age, and it's the type of player we have to buy to progress.

We already have the experienced heads, now we need to compliment them with players with the physical attributes to improve the team.

Yep I agree with all of that. There's abolutely no doubt the PL comes with a premium, and it should come with a premium. The question really is, what premium is a fair one to pay?

The second point I'd posit, is that if we are doing the right things at academy level (where improvements seem to be being made) and we can add players such as Nkounkou/Brainthwaite etc the rate we have over the last 18 months (so 1-2 per season) can that help offset probably overpaying slightly for PL experience?

I think the balance we have had under Ancelotti/Brands has probably been about right. Gordon promoted, Brainthwaite/Nkounkou brought in, negotiated hard for Doucoure and Allan, while added James for a free and Godfrey came in as a 22 year old. King/Olsen older cover but very cheap. We have spent around 80m pounds and the team has improved.

As a final aside, I suppose it's why I've never minded buying players who have done well for sides who have been relegated. It often means that you don't overpay by that much. I'm not sure on Berge, but I have like Anguissa when I've seen him. Gueye was a really astute buy.

With this strategy, it becomes very important that you keep doing the 2nd point though.

What do you think?

You're right. We are where we are.

It'll be interesting to see Ancellotti's direction this summer. It all sounds simple at the moment doesn't it. Sign 3 or 4 players that'll fix our home form and even if we manage 3 or 4 more wins we'll be close or in the Champions league places.

The reality however is that even with those 3 or 4 top players our squad will still be weaker than City, Manu, Chelsea and the RS and arguably others.

If we qualify for Europe then even to stand still in the league we may need more players. There's a part of me that wonders if we'd be better without lower level Europe competition next year.

I make you right, that those 4 teams on paper will be stronger than us. But that doesn't always mean said sides improve, or perform to expectations. I think you can wave City, and to a degree Chelsea goodbye. They will be miles infront. We have to try and get in the mix with United and Liverpool are a level down.

....I suppose it depends on the definition of risk. As you say, high risk on being a success because they are unproven. I prefer to say they are low risk because they cost very little and worth a punt.

They are low risk in terms of initial cost, but in terms of time, effort etc. That can be done alongside buying some reliable starters too.

Status
Not open for further replies.