Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Thanks mate, really appreciated. I’ve pulled myself out of the hole a bit as of today. Was in a similar (but worse) situation to this only a year or so ago so I know I can bounce back but it’s exhausting. Hoping to find a bit of stability in the years ahead.
Well in mate, the good thing is you're fully aware of your situation, you know what to do, you know how to do it and you know you will feel so much better about yourself if you're doing the right things. On wards and upwards WB

In the past I’ve really struggled with substance abuse so as unhealthy as junk food and oversleeping is it could definitely be worse.

Managed to get to the gym today and been watching some Netflix. Reading is my main thing but when I’m low it’s hard - hoping to get going again in the next few days.

Thanks for the response mate. This site is great in general but in particular this thread is a godsend at times. Just being able to type out how you’re feeling or what you’re going through makes a big difference, and a few friendly voices makes all the difference.

What sort of stuff do you read mate, as I normally go though a couple of books a month and then give them to charity.

Most of the stuff I read tends to be dark though.

I’d be more than happy to send them your way ?

What sort of stuff do you read mate, as I normally go though a couple of books a month and then give them to charity.

Reading has always been the best form of entertainment for me, using your imagination of the story situation as well as picturing the characters, and lots of times the only disappointment is when the book ends, so it could be very helpful for taking people’s minds off their problems for a couple/ few hours at a time, depending on how serious their problems are of course. Good luck to Wolverhampton-Blue I hope he keeps his problems at bay and gets back to something like he was.

Broad range of stuff tbh mate. I love history so enjoy books by historians and historical novelists but in the last year I’ve started reading original texts too. For example I loved Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel but I recently read Utopia by More because he was one of the main characters.

Working my way through lots of the ‘classics’ when it comes to literature. The Brothers Karamazov has been a standout. Dickens is probably my favourite author overall though. I do occasionally read a ‘new’ book but tbh there are so many great books you could spend a lifetime trying to read already.

After that I dabble in philosophy but probably not very well. It’s hard to read and you have to go slowly but personally I think it’s very rewarding.

In the past I’ve really struggled with substance abuse so as unhealthy as junk food and oversleeping is it could definitely be worse.

Managed to get to the gym today and been watching some Netflix. Reading is my main thing but when I’m low it’s hard - hoping to get going again in the next few days.

Thanks for the response mate. This site is great in general but in particular this thread is a godsend at times. Just being able to type out how you’re feeling or what you’re going through makes a big difference, and a few friendly voices makes all the difference.
Congratulations on making it through your previous struggles. Must have been really tough so you should be very proud.

Great first steps taken, here, too. Reading is a great shout. I love to read at night, seems to wash away the stresses of the day. I’m currently on Rose Madder by Stephen King. I’m sure there must be a book club style thread in the ale house so maybe head in there and get some ideas or share some feedback on whatever you get your teeth into.

Congratulations on making it through your previous struggles. Must have been really tough so you should be very proud.

Great first steps taken, here, too. Reading is a great shout. I love to read at night, seems to wash away the stresses of the day. I’m currently on Rose Madder by Stephen King. I’m sure there must be a book club style thread in the ale house so maybe head in there and get some ideas or share some feedback on whatever you get your teeth into.

There is mate - GOT Book Club.

I get virtually all my recommendations for books from there are there’s a real variety of books that get write ups on there.

There is mate - GOT Book Club.

I get virtually all my recommendations for books from there are there’s a real variety of books that get write ups on there.
Here’s one for you COYB, a couple of years old, since made into a film, which I haven’t seen: The Sun Does Shine, by Anthony Ray Hinton, the true story of how a man served more than thirty years on death row in America for murders he never committed, very moving as was his friends belief in him and never stopped visiting him. A great read, well for me anyway.

Here’s one for you COYB, a couple of years old, since made into a film, which I haven’t seen: The Sun Does Shine, by Anthony Ray Hinton, the true story of how a man served more than thirty years on death row in America for murders he never committed, very moving as was his friends belief in him and never stopped visiting him. A great read, well for me anyway.

Cheers mate, on my reading list ;)

I haven't read all of the pages through this thread, but I'm going to do i think it's marvellous to have on here. I've suffered from depression as a teenager and it gradually grew worse as I got older. I suffered from panic attacks and agoraphobia. It came to a head seven years ago. I lost both parents and I deteriorated really quickly, I lost several stone in a couple of months and I started to hear voices.
I was sectioned under the mental health act and spent six years in Hospital. It's done me the world of good. I was discharged last year and I'm living in my own flat and things are going well, I have a social worker and support workers who see me regularly but I'm independent again and I can also manage to get out which is something I massively struggled with in the past.

Of course I still suffer with depression and also schizophrenia, I don't think they will ever go away fully, but it's just about reducing the symptoms so we can manage each day.

My love for the blues still remains the same, however I don't get that joy and start jumping up and down when we score no more. I hope to one day get them feelings back, I truly miss that feeling.
The most important thing we can do is talk, talk about how we are feeling and if we're feeling crap remember tomorrow is another day we don't know what that will bring, hopefully a better day
Had to respond to your post Pauley. As a lot of people know on here, I work in mental health and I have to say people like you are an inspiration. Your post was very forthright and honest. I don't know how my mindset would be having spent 6 years in a Hospital under a Section. Keep thinking the way you do fella. In short seek help and be Pro active in your care. For you I expect it means telling people you aren't feeling very well. Stopping yourself getting worse is always a good thing. It gives - as you know - time for you to get support from other people and preventing a relapse. Remember Pauley, YOU are the expert in your mental health, not the " experts ". It's your " lived " experiences, you have to deal with the problems that arise from your mental health problems. Your post was a good read, good advice was given from someone who knows what having issues is all about. Cheers and take care because it's people like you why I don't mind getting up at 6 on a freezing morning

Had to respond to your post Pauley. As a lot of people know on here, I work in mental health and I have to say people like you are an inspiration. Your post was very forthright and honest. I don't know how my mindset would be having spent 6 years in a Hospital under a Section. Keep thinking the way you do fella. In short seek help and be Pro active in your care. For you I expect it means telling people you aren't feeling very well. Stopping yourself getting worse is always a good thing. It gives - as you know - time for you to get support from other people and preventing a relapse. Remember Pauley, YOU are the expert in your mental health, not the " experts ". It's your " lived " experiences, you have to deal with the problems that arise from your mental health problems. Your post was a good read, good advice was given from someone who knows what having issues is all about. Cheers and take care because it's people like you why I don't mind getting up at 6 on a freezing morning
Thank you for you're kind words. I do agree with everything you've said. When I was sectioned I didn't care if I lived or died, I'd given up completely. Then one nurse took to me (probably because I take the piss) anyway he found out I was an Evertonian, he's an Huddersfield Town fan and every time he was on duty if Everton were playing he'd bring his laptop in and let me watch the game. He his a senior nurse so no one said anything about it.
Then he was going to Goodison to watch Huddersfield he asked what I wanted, I got a few Everton tops, I paid for them but it was great. I still keep in touch with him today.

So it's people like him and you who are real heroes, if it wasn't for the likes of you, I wouldn't be here today. So thank you

Relax FFS the games no even started yet all I can say is thank feck some of you weren’t around in dec 83 as our greatest ever would cryarsed out the club .Let Carlo build his own team with players he’s signed then we can judge