Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is, and I do wholly understand where you are coming from, that if you at most top players there wil always have been a time when you could have got them, or a time they were in the championship. It's also true, that somesignings work well, while others tend to bomb.

I happen to agree with the broad picture, it is a good recruiting ground that I'd like to see more of though.

This is very true my son. Didn't Maradona have a trial with Sheffield United back in the day?

God bless.

Ball-carrying, athletic midfielder.
Right-back.
Right forward/winger.
A striker assuming Kean is sold.

That's the minimum we need.

King should have been given more of a run. It's ridiculous. Got a player there with pace and experience of scoring in the top flight and we're persisting with just chucking him on at odd moments chasing a game. Not saying he's going to be our saviour, but he's a player there already that may save us money, allow us to prioritise elsewhere, and we're not finding out.

Agreed on the targets, but I can also see why Ancelotti has been rumoured to want a centre back - Mina is going to either need to be sold or given a new contract this summer with 2 years left to run on his and we've probably seen that Holgate isn't the answer, which leaves Godfrey (who's been great) and Keane (who's probably had his best season for us, but his lack of pace is always going to cause us issues if we want to play a higher line). The rumoured interest in Demiral and Koulibaly (laughably) makes sense. I would say we are looking at five players this summer really, but that would be easily balanced out by the number of players we may look to move on, which would probably include (but be by no means limited to) Kenny, Mina, Delph, Gomes, Besic, Walcott, Bernard, Bolasie, Tosun and Kean.

Off the top of my head - players we could have signed in the championship in the last 7 or so years... that would have improved our squad to the point of picking up vital points this season:
Grealish
Madison
Maguire
Olly watkins
Matty cash
Bowens
quarter of the wolves, Leeds and Brighton

add Godfrey, dcl to the list. There are rich pickings at that level
Agreed. Deffo good players coming out of the Championship these days. Benrahma is another one who looks like he's improving now too.

I really don't think it matters where a player is signed from. The key is identifying whether they have the skills and attitude that you're looking for, and whether they'll fit in with what you're trying to do. You can be a very good player but a very bad fit at a club, or - to an extent at least - the opposite. I think what we've not been great at in recent years is identifying the right players to solve the problems in the squad. Plenty of signings have been individually fine, but just not actually able to do what we needed. I've said before, I felt a bit sorry for Silva last season because I just don't think we brought in the profile of player that he wanted/needed. It doesn't excuse how things went, but it definitely didn't help him.

He signed a centre back who couldn't head a ball.
yep and that was on him but and very quickly binned him. We signed a winger from Arenal who can't run with the ball, can't cross it or make a simple pass but we're persisting with him and that can be said about several of the signings we've made over the last few years.
I'm not a Moyes fan btw, i can't stand the guy personally. I thought he was incredibly disrespectful about us after he left but from a transfer point of view, whether it was just him or the club as a whole there was a strategy that was, overall pretty successful.
I accept we can't go back to that mindset and i don't want us too. I want us to sign the best players possible but there needs to be a plan.

I really don't think it matters where a player is signed from. The key is identifying whether they have the skills and attitude that you're looking for, and whether they'll fit in with what you're trying to do. You can be a very good player but a very bad fit at a club, or - to an extent at least - the opposite. I think what we've not been great at in recent years is identifying the right players to solve the problems in the squad. Plenty of signings have been individually fine, but just not actually able to do what we needed. I've said before, I felt a bit sorry for Silva last season because I just don't think we brought in the profile of player that he wanted/needed. It doesn't excuse how things went, but it definitely didn't help him.

I'd go a bit further than that and say for the most part it seems to be a bit anarchic in how we plan. In many wyas thats almost a bigger problem for me than the players signed, who have been mixed but there have been good and bad.

As someone has said, if your targets are Sergio Aguero or Ivan Toney they are at completely different ends of the spectrum. I'm not even sauing on ability, if you offered me an over under on who would score more goals next seaosn it would be pretty close, as Toney will play every week and I doubt Aguero will.

From the outside it feels to me as if we have a DOF who wants one thing and a manager who wants another. Pure speculation on my part of course. Either is fine, but you sort of have to commit to an approach.

Agreed on the targets, but I can also see why Ancelotti has been rumoured to want a centre back - Mina is going to either need to be sold or given a new contract this summer with 2 years left to run on his and we've probably seen that Holgate isn't the answer, which leaves Godfrey (who's been great) and Keane (who's probably had his best season for us, but his lack of pace is always going to cause us issues if we want to play a higher line). The rumoured interest in Demiral and Koulibaly (laughably) makes sense. I would say we are looking at five players this summer really, but that would be easily balanced out by the number of players we may look to move on, which would probably include (but be by no means limited to) Kenny, Mina, Delph, Gomes, Besic, Walcott, Bernard, Bolasie, Tosun and Kean.

Yeah if we can get a top-level CB, all good. But honestly, Mina is our best CB and should be kept imo. I don't see it as a massive priority compared to the other positions. If we get better at actually having the ball and attacking with it, our defence won't be as exposed (in theory, like)

Status
Not open for further replies.