2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is no Pirlo.... Yet!

He's never going to be a Pirlo. I still don't see how he's ever going to excel at something enough to be Prem first XI standard.

But you need squad players and you need to tick the homegrown box. He's good enough at this point to soak minutes against squads without elite attacking midfielders. De Bruyne, Fernandes and Grealish will eat him alive.

Take the hometown discount, give him a decent pay rise and extend his two years by a year or two. Hopefully, by then the project will have progressed enough that the club outgrows him. But for the foreseeable future, he plays a useful role.

Im seeing arguments that Davies was excellent last night.

Can I just say he actually wasn’t, but was better than normal. Forward passing shouldn’t be seen as a “positive”, it should be a given for a central midfielder.

Love the lad, he’s a good kid, but how many other premier league midfields does he get into, then I think you’ve answered my point.

Sad really, but when fans buzz over slightly better, then it’s time to move on, at least from having him as a regular starter.

We’re about 8 steps away from challenging at the top.

Absolutely, romanticising Tom Davies moves us no closer though. Well done to the lad for playing well, all you can ask is players give their best, I think that is his best, same as at Anfield, but on no planet is it a top midfield performance, it’s an absolutely bog standard one at most.

Sad really, but when fans buzz over slightly better, then it’s time to move on, at least from having him as a regular starter.

We're starting him out of necessity rather than choice. Gomes needs two dynamic midfielders behind him when healthy, Gbamin has gone the full Stu Holden, Delph is spent (and hurt), and that leaves Davies and Sigurdsson to play with Doucoure and Allan out.

The only way he doesn't start with what we had available tonight is if King starts, and I think Carlo got that one right. Use Davies to soak minutes and bring King on to try to chase the game against tired defenders. The reverse doesn't make sense, as Tom isn't changing the game.

With more players back, Tom makes way.

Can I just say he actually wasn’t, but was better than normal. Forward passing shouldn’t be seen as a “positive”, it should be a given for a central midfielder.

Love the lad, he’s a good kid, but how many other premier league midfields does he get into, then I think you’ve answered my point.

He’s a squad player, fills a homegrown slot and doesn’t get injured.
Unfortunately, our insane injury record has meant he has been used far more than anticipated.

At 22, there is still room to improve.

No big wages, great off the field, homegrown, will play a multiple positions and not kick up a fuss. He’s obviously not perfect but there’s half this squad I’d rather see sold before him and he’s improved a lot this season, nice one lid

Well gets in every side from eighth down. To be honest I'm trusting Ancelotti over random posters on football forums

He’s not getting in Arsenals team. Difficult to see him in the Wolves, Villa or Leeds team either.
It's about opinion,on last night's performance and several in the last ten games our opinions differ. He's still young and some supporters expect him to turn in displays like the 4-0 against City every week. I'd judge him at the end of another season under Ancelotti.

I thought he was good last night and this is probably his best year since his breakout season.

He's not good enough for a top club, but I think he's a decent squad player at a club aiming for Europe. But you are probably more looking decent squad player for a Europa League side rather than champions League.

His frailties seem far less obvious when he plays alongside Allan or doucoure. When you see him line up with gomes and sigurdsson (in the deeper centre mid role), that's when he seems to struggle.

If he's our 4th/5th option at centre mid, then I think it's fine that he sticks around.

Status
Not open for further replies.