Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

There used to be (early 70s) an American TV show called Room 222. This thread presently has 202 pages, which whilst also being a palindromic number, is 20 short of 222

FFS Kendall.
I thought so but your post about what a Kendall side would have done is such a misguided comparison I figured it better to be sure.

Take a trip down memory lane and remind yourself how good Kendall's Everton were when he was in his first full season as Everton manager. I'll give you a clue - they were inconsistent and there were calls for Kendall to be sacked as far as into his 3rd season as manager. I've posted about this before as there are more than a few Evertonians who have a deeply flawed, and often completely imagined, recollection of that great era when using it as a stick to beat the current manager.

It's all here.....

You seem to be suggesting that Kendall came in, waved a magic wand, barely spent and got things right straight away. In HK's first season in charge we finished 8th.

We spent around £1.67M in the 81/82 market. Comparing that market to todays is ridiculous. Our spending was in excess of many sides who finished comfortably above us and the RS won the league spending £2M so it's not like Kendall's Everton were not spending to the same degree as our immediate rivals in that market. A few teams spent less and did much better.

You can repeat that for his second season. A finish of 7th place and although the spending dropped to less than 500K it was the same story for many rivals who did better. Again, including those from over the park who won the title and Man Utd who finished 3rd spending less.

That season also included a 0-5 drubbing in the derby at Goodison which was the epitome of a rudderless ship lacking talent and leadership. Again, second season, not first.

HK's 3rd season got off to a terrible start and he was on the verge of being sacked. 6 wins from 21 and a board were being vilified for a lack of ambition and sentimentality around a former player as manager. Another flat defeat at Anfield. Fans were staying away and graffiti was on the training ground walls. That sounds a bit worse than the current malaise.

That is not the story of a manager coming in and fixing things for buttons. That's a manager coming in and taking 2-3 seasons to get it right while being financially backed to the same level, and sometimes more, than most of his rivals. He brought in a player here, a player there and eventually changed the mentality at the club.

--------------------------------------------
“When you inherit players who are under contract you are stuck with them. He was trying to balance things. It does take time for a manager to make the changes he wants and it was no different for Howard.”
“He did not find the right blend in midfield at first, which is why he played himself. It was later on, after he signed Kevin Sheedy, Peter Reid and Trevor Steven that things really came together.”

Kevin Ratcliffe

--------------------------------------------

Names aside that's pretty much the same spot Ancelotti is in with this current squad. If Ancelotti doesn't have a pot after 3 full seasons and the team is still looking lost then the comparisons to Kendall's reinvention might start being relevant.

If you know your history and all that....

I thought so but your post about what a Kendall side would have done is such a misguided comparison I figured it better to be sure.

Take a trip down memory lane and remind yourself how good Kendall's Everton were when he was in his first full season as Everton manager. I'll give you a clue - they were inconsistent and there were calls for Kendall to be sacked as far as into his 3rd season as manager. I've posted about this before as there are more than a few Evertonians who have a deeply flawed, and often completely imagined, recollection of that great era when using it as a stick to beat the current manager.

It's all here.....

If you know your history and all that....

Cushions!!!

It'll be so annoying if after all these years the team that deny us a place in Europe is a non-Top6 team ...and Moyes! Don't mind him, but West Ham + Moyes = Everton, That

I know...... let’s hope not. Still, you got to admire the job he’s doing there. Very reminiscent.

Hopefully with Allan and Doucoure coming in and on the back of the chances that were created at the weekend the team can really step up and take the opportunity to play in European competition next season.

Your conclusion is that Carlo told them to let Crystal Palace have exclusive possession of the football? I mean, it doesn't sound like something he'd say, but you probably know him better.

In the situation we were in the players have to take responsibility and be leaders. Use their experience to get the result over the line. Suggestions by some that Carlos instructions are to play like a bunch of frightened schoolgirls is more then just a stretch.

So true.Tom davis spent most if the match being bullied around the place spending most of the match clashing with the opposition and ending up on the ground. Look he is fine as a squad player. Maybe number 23.

Struggled as they started to overwhelm us in midfield which wasn’t helped by having 3 at the back with no centre back moving into midfield - at least not effectively and not at all in the 2nd half to help him out. He didn’t have a good game but he was outnumbered for pretty much all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.