Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Youri was a big flop in Monaco and that was why Leicester could loan him. In Leicester he came to a club that had a clear philosophy and knew how to use his strengths. Cancelo is a good right back, but it is first and foremost as an inverted left back / or midfielder he has been extremely good. He had not been given that role with us.

My point is that having a fairly clear system will make the players better, but it will also be much easier to get the right players. We can not only buy players because on paper they are qualitatively better than what we have, but we must buy players who make the system better.

There is no point, e.g. to buy Isco, who is better qualitatively than all Everton players, if we do not have a plan for how he will be integrated into the system, and what role he will have. We are also not in a position to bring in Haaland, Mbappe, and the very best players, and usually have to buy players at the levels below.

All the biggest clubs have a clear and distinct philosophy, and can also buy the world's best players. It is almost impossible to compete against them. Without an oil sheik or two, our best opportunity is to be innovative and be one step ahead of our competitors when it comes to system, tactics, training theory, data analysis, physiology, developing our own players and mapping the right players who can strengthen us.

The Hollywood strategy can possibly get us top 6, but it also comes with great risk.
How exactly would you describe the philosophies and systems of Man United and Leicester?

How exactly would you describe the philosophies and systems of Man United and Leicester?
Leicester is pretty easy. Rodgers is one of the most well-known exponents of positional play in England, and it is a club that is based on recruiting and developing young players. They usually buy cheap and sell expensive.

Manchester United have underperformed for a number of years, precisely because they have not had a unified strategy.

IF Brands/Carlo allocated £35m on Koulibaly i cant see us spending on a RB when we are desperate in need higher up the pitch.
Carlo watching training everyday might see potential in Godfrey 'becoming' a quality RB. Ill not write him off over the saints game, and tbh i havent seen him being that comfortable on the ball but that was mainly at LB where his natural body position would be out.
Selling Mina/Keane/Holgate to bring in 15-20m on top of whatever we get for Bernard, Kean and for me Gomes, means we are still flush to bring in a back up striker and a quality RM, and the only real outlay would be on a proper CM.
I highly respect your opinion. Nevertheless, I do think that Koulibaly would represent a massive signing considering that he’s on the top 3 defenders right now. About the RB? I think we don’t need to sign anyone on that position TBH.

I highly respect your opinion. Nevertheless, I do think that Koulibaly would represent a massive signing considering that he’s on the top 3 defenders right now. About the RB? I think we don’t need to sign anyone on that position TBH.

You dont think we need a right back?

Are you sure?
Coleman's been poor due to his age and his ever present lack of crossing ability and everybody else who has played there is a centre back.

We are in desperate need for a right back. One of our major problems this season has been having no threat from the right.

I wouldn't say we are following a "Hollywood" strategy. More a mixed strategy for every Godfrey and Nkounkou there is a James and Allen. We had a philosophy under Martinez and Silva and both were out of their depth and the players we had weren't good enough in certain areas to carry it out. Even if you have a strategy and idea of play you need a blend in any squad even Leicester have a Vardy or a Evans a smattering of experience.

I wouldn't say we are following a "Hollywood" strategy. More a mixed strategy for every Godfrey and Nkounkou there is a James and Allen. We had a philosophy under Martinez and Silva and both were out of their depth and the players we had weren't good enough in certain areas to carry it out. Even if you have a strategy and idea of play you need a blend in any squad even Leicester have a Vardy or a Evans a smattering of experience.
I think people overestimate how rigid Martinez and Silva actually were with sticking to their "philosophy" because of all the wham they chatted. Both played largely 4-2-3-1 despite saying repeatedly that they didn't want to. Martinez went 4-4-2 for a stretch when things got tough as well.

I think people overestimate how rigid Martinez and Silva were with sticking to their "philosophy" because of all the wham they chatted. Both played largely 4-2-3-1 despite saying repeatedly that they didn't want to. Martinez went 4-4-2 for a stretch when things got tough as well.
Yes, that was part of their problem and their demise at the club. My point was to a poster above saying we haven't tried to follow a philosophy and I get it it's a good point we have bought some players with seemingly no idea how they would fit in, Iwobi is the classic example now there have been others, Klassen? Lookman? But we did try and follow a strategy a few times with appointments in the past even if it didn't work. And I wouldn't say we are exactly trying to blow it out of the water Man City/PSG style now? We dabbled when Koeman came in and wasted millions. Now it appears to be more mixed and Ancelotti wants more selected proven players for the first team and Brands is looking to the future. Whether that divergence of what they want will work we shall see..

Last edited:

Yes, that was part of their problem and their demise at the club. My point was to a poster above saying we haven't tried to follow a philosophy and I get it it's a good point but we did a few times with appointments in the past even if it didn't work. And I wouldn't say we are exactly trying to blow it out of the water Man City style now? We dabbled when Koeman came in and wasted millions. Now it appears to be more mixed and Ancelotti wants more proven and Brands is looking to the future.
I think the right manager could pull it off still here. For example Sarri is unemployed and I wouldn't hate giving him 3 years to try and build his team here but the team we have now wouldn't be very good playing like that and we would struggle for a bit first. I know Carlo and probably Moshiri aren't doing that.

I think the right manager could pull it off still here. For example Sarri is unemployed and I wouldn't hate giving him 3 years to try and build his team here but the team we have now wouldn't be very good playing like that and we would struggle for a bit first. I know Carlo and probably Moshiri aren't doing that.
lol lol lol lol

Status
Not open for further replies.