Dixie Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenSeagull

Player Valuation: £100k
Brighton fan in peace. Hope you don't mind me posting on here. I've had a bee in my bonnet the last few days about Son & Kane partnership being described as the most successful striker partnership in English football. Football started in 1882 and I wish English football would acknowledge that. The most successful partnership ever were your boys: Alec Troup, Dixie Dean, Edward Critchley. 76 league goals in 27/28. I posted as much on social media and I was chuffed to bits to get a reply from Dixie Dean's grand-daughter, Melanie Prentice, who shares my frustration at the lack of respect paid to her Grandad's amazing achievement. Melanie's also posted a photo of what I presume is an official record of his career too. Here's the post from our conversation.

I reckon there's a lot of fans that feel the same way (Preston's Tom Finney, Blackpool's Mortensen, Wolves with Billy Wright etc) and maybe we could organise a petition to get media and pundits to stop using 1992 as their starting point and go back to when it really began in 1882. And if you think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, please say and I'll try to stop getting wound up by it! Cheers.

...I’m sure there’s plenty of support for your view on here @StevenSeagull, lots comment on regurgitated stats of the PL era without reference to the long history of the game. I’m personally miffed that the Founder Members of the league are not commemorated more, e,g, insignia on shirts.

I notice you have been in dialogue with Dixie Dean’s daughter, you might not know that her husband, Dave Prentice, is football writer for Liverpool Echo.

Brighton fan in peace. Hope you don't mind me posting on here. I've had a bee in my bonnet the last few days about Son & Kane partnership being described as the most successful striker partnership in English football. Football started in 1882 and I wish English football would acknowledge that. The most successful partnership ever were your boys: Alec Troup, Dixie Dean, Edward Critchley. 76 league goals in 27/28. I posted as much on social media and I was chuffed to bits to get a reply from Dixie Dean's grand-daughter, Melanie Prentice, who shares my frustration at the lack of respect paid to her Grandad's amazing achievement. Melanie's also posted a photo of what I presume is an official record of his career too. Here's the post from our conversation.

I reckon there's a lot of fans that feel the same way (Preston's Tom Finney, Blackpool's Mortensen, Wolves with Billy Wright etc) and maybe we could organise a petition to get media and pundits to stop using 1992 as their starting point and go back to when it really began in 1882. And if you think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, please say and I'll try to stop getting wound up by it! Cheers.

Always nice to welcome intelligent football supporters on this august site. I suggest yiu stay well away fro FC Pyongyang's RAWK site if you want reasoned discussion !! lol

A few tears ago the BR family was over for a match (we live in Kilkenny Ireland) and, as usual, Mrs and Miss BR went on their shopping way, while I didi my usual tour of bookshops. I bought a number of books including Dixie Dean, The Lost Interview Uncut, with foreword by Brian Labone.

I repaired to the Carnarvon for my usual couple of pints and, while reading this, A couple of ladies came over to me and introduced themselves as Dixie's nieces - Marjorie Roberts and Ursula Sutherland. Their Mum was Charlotte Dean, Dixie's sister.

They kindly signed the frontispiece page for my daughter.

The great (grumpy) character actor Bill Dean of Brookside and many 60s films, was born in Everton as Patrick Anthony Connolly (Irish roots obviously!) but took his stage name as a tribute to his Everton hero!

https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+dean+actor&rlz=1C1CHNY_enIE901IE901&sxsrf=ALeKk03zhfn1m3MMa-xr6npDQQcieUPWqw:1615380581189&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=KIiwtyDKVQHs9M%2CX7-TG8L8wYbO3M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSHsHfA9Q79hW66WY-YWWDkdpIUmg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiw4N_N4aXvAhXiQxUIHfm_BQYQ9QF6BAgOEAE#imgrc=KIiwtyDKVQHs9M

This Club has a superb and proud heritage and was a founder member of the Football League.

The other 11 clubs were:

Aston Villa, Stoke City, Accrington (NOT Accrington Stanley), Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby County, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

No sign then of the reds***e, Arsenal, Chelski, either of the Mancs, Spurs etc etc that Sky and BT love to drool over.

Dixie and Labone were true heroes, Labby known as the last of the Corinthians.

Of course my biggest hero is Peter Farrell (in my avatar) who captained Shamrock Rovers, Everton and Ireland, and scored in Ireland's 2-0 win over England at Goodison in 1949 - the first non UK team to beat England on English soil.

The over paid, pampered lightweight (intellectually and physically) excuses for footballers that we have to put up with today are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as these true giants of football.

Thanks for opening this thread Seagull!

Thanks for posting fella! Im sure we all appreciate that other fans recognise what a true footballing legend Dixie and his team mates and others after him like Finney etc. they used to be mentioned regularly back in the day, Pre-Prem days anyway! Such a shame that they dont get the recognition now. I know Melanie does a lot to try and keep the profile high but sadly it seems like the powers that be only want their New Gods.

My Grandad was at Wembley in 1933 when we beat City 3-0, he travelled up with the Team and Back and was luck to get his Match Ticket signed by the whole team at the Time, including Dixie, Sagar, Creswell, Geldard etc. The ticket is now on Permanent loan to Everton Football Club, donated by my Dad. Proper Football back then LOL!

Toffee Forever!

Enjoy the rest of the season!

Recently been introduced to fatherhood, my little boy was born just before the derby a few weeks ago.

His middle name is William after the great William Ralph Dixie Dean. Honestly can't wait for him to be old enough to actually understand this.

Always nice to welcome intelligent football supporters on this august site. I suggest yiu stay well away fro FC Pyongyang's RAWK site if you want reasoned discussion !! lol

A few tears ago the BR family was over for a match (we live in Kilkenny Ireland) and, as usual, Mrs and Miss BR went on their shopping way, while I didi my usual tour of bookshops. I bought a number of books including Dixie Dean, The Lost Interview Uncut, with foreword by Brian Labone.

I repaired to the Carnarvon for my usual couple of pints and, while reading this, A couple of ladies came over to me and introduced themselves as Dixie's nieces - Marjorie Roberts and Ursula Sutherland. Their Mum was Charlotte Dean, Dixie's sister.

They kindly signed the frontispiece page for my daughter.

The great (grumpy) character actor Bill Dean of Brookside and many 60s films, was born in Everton as Patrick Anthony Connolly (Irish roots obviously!) but took his stage name as a tribute to his Everton hero!

https://www.google.com/search?q=bill+dean+actor&rlz=1C1CHNY_enIE901IE901&sxsrf=ALeKk03zhfn1m3MMa-xr6npDQQcieUPWqw:1615380581189&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=KIiwtyDKVQHs9M%2CX7-TG8L8wYbO3M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSHsHfA9Q79hW66WY-YWWDkdpIUmg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiw4N_N4aXvAhXiQxUIHfm_BQYQ9QF6BAgOEAE#imgrc=KIiwtyDKVQHs9M

This Club has a superb and proud heritage and was a founder member of the Football League.

The other 11 clubs were:

Aston Villa, Stoke City, Accrington (NOT Accrington Stanley), Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby County, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

No sign then of the reds***e, Arsenal, Chelski, either of the Mancs, Spurs etc etc that Sky and BT love to drool over.

Dixie and Labone were true heroes, Labby known as the last of the Corinthians.

Of course my biggest hero is Peter Farrell (in my avatar) who captained Shamrock Rovers, Everton and Ireland, and scored in Ireland's 2-0 win over England at Goodison in 1949 - the first non UK team to beat England on English soil.

The over paid, pampered lightweight (intellectually and physically) excuses for footballers that we have to put up with today are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as these true giants of football.

Thanks for opening this thread Seagull!
Great post !!!

If you go to old photographs thread even a photo of his first goal is on there - plus loads about him ;)

1615382521090.png

Status
Not open for further replies.