3 issues to be addressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said for ages I think Mina is much more of a liability than Keane. At his best he is probably a better player but you know what you get with Keane who didn't start the season great it has to be said but has hit form. Him and Godfrey look solid.
Fair enough, all about opinions isn't it. Good problem to have though, just don't play Holgate as he gets dragged all over the place

Is anyone else getting frustrated by this tendency to pass back all the time? Allan, davies, keane, holgate and even Gomez are serious culprits. I noticed it in a big way against United and it's the same [Poor language removed] yarn since then. DCL and Richarldson are busting a gut up front and no one is trying to find them. I'd much prefer losing the possession with an audacious through ball then keeping it tiky tak

2. Not keeping possession
This is a major issue. Chelsea were knocking the ball around tonight like any team should when they are protecting a lead. When we're ahead it's just 'sit back and absorb'. Against teams like man city this is going to have crucified.

3. Not pressing enough
Ashley Cole alluded to this after the west Brom game. He said 'they dont run enough off the ball for my liking. If you're chasing your dreams you've got to work much harder'. This is spot on. The aggression and pressure in the second half tonight was excellent, but why arent they like this every game? Why does it take going 2 nil down? A Guardiola side suffocates you, the pressure is immense and you dont get a chance to think. Coleman, davies and allan have great intensity, but I just wish there was this desire aggression from the whole side. Love to see players doubling up and crowding out the opposition. Can't understand why it requires a 2-0 deficit to motivate them into playing like demons.

All these issues can be rectified in a single team talk. Cant understand why they're reappearing game after game. Anyone else notice this lack of intensity and aggression?
We don't retain possession because our defence and midfield lack technical ability and the forwards show issufficient movement.

We can't press the ball as the players don't have pace , power or sufficient fitness.

All in all it is a bad combo for a team that aspires to be an elite team and results in Carlo adopting the only method of playing that he thinks will get results ....ie a low block and try to score on the break or via a set piece.

To change we need at least 4/5 first team starters in the summer window.

lost away to one of the most in form teams in the league, with several important players out

don't wet the bed please

First part of that statement is correct.

The fact people are concerned about the performance levels is not something you should be shooting people down about.

“BED WETTERS MERT AHAHAHA”

I must admit, I only agree partially with the OP.

We do pass back too much, but I cant place too much of the blame on some of the players listed. For me, our overall movement is poor, we are not moving the opposition around enough to create space in the midfield or out wide. Which leads to our back four and Allan etc passing between themselves or backwards. And when a little bit of space does open, the players looking to receive aren't composed enough or ready.

Allan and Davies for me, always try and look forward, much more so than Gomes who I found wanted to get rid of the ball quickly to Holgate a lot last night.

Look at Chelsea, players always on the move, very fluid in formation, the likes of a Havertz or a Mount roaming, dragging players around. Rest of midfield all very composed and agile on the ball.

Having said that, there are still some glaring weak links in the side, the biggest being Holgate for me playing right back. Super one footed and lacks composure severely, if put under pressure he is 90% likely to lose possession lately. Combine that with the terrible Iwobi infront of him and our right side is completely limp.

I like to think Carlo only plays the way we do because he is a pragmatic man, and knows our side isn't ready to go toe to toe yet with the higher quality sides.

We are definitely a few players AT LEAST off of Champions League standard. You only need to look at the benches of Chelsea etc and the subs they make to see the gulf in quality still.

Would be a miracle if Carlo managed 4th with these players.

As for pressing, we just don't have the players for it, you need the whole team working as a unit for it to work. No legs in Sigurdsson and Gomes etc. So easy to just play around our press for a team with great movement and fitness levels.

What we need is players with pace power and physicality in key positions
Look at James , CHO and Havertz last night
We need 3-4 more of these type of players who are also technical players

What we need is players with pace power and physicality in key positions
Look at James , CHO and Havertz last night
We need 3-4 more of these type of players who are also technical players

Brisan, a couple of questions:-

Who?

Will they come?

Can we afford the fee for that quality?

Like wise can we afford the wages?

Brisan, a couple of questions:-

Who?

Will they come?

Can we afford the fee for that quality?

Like wise can we afford the wages?
I don’t know who , I rarely watch European football except some CL games
If we get Europe we certainly can ,
You don’t hire Carlo Ancelotti and not back him , he does not come without assurances on spending
Players will wantPL as a stepping stone and to play for Ancelotti
Remember he met Usmanov ( or so it was reported ) before he was appointed
With players like Bolassie etc coming off the wage Bill and European money I can see some creative sponsorship coming in to enable us to afford the wages
Goodson being sponsored for its last 3 seasons as a a PL ground would not surprise me

Status
Not open for further replies.