Match Thread Chelsea vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
91016DBC-8E36-4089-9F0C-30381FE8F00E.jpeg
Called it tonight unfortunately.

Their squad is outrageous and affords them to rotate with ease as they have strength in depth. We don’t. And when you’ve got the injuries to key players that we’ve got then it’s an uphill battle. Tuchel landed on his feet with that squad. Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to hold your hands up and say ‘fair enough, outplayed’

Well beaten and, frankly, firmly put in our place.

We thought we did well in the summer with our four signings. Yet, we only had two of them on the pitch tonight in what was, arguably, the biggest match of our season so far. As we weren't much cop before those four signings, we were only marginally better tonight with only two of them available.

We're still in with a chance, in so much as the guy who is about to be lapped in a grand prix is still in with a chance. You're in it until you are out of it, but, let's be real, tonight showed the gap in quality that needs to be bridged. If we could be relied on to beat the "teams we should be beating" to finish top four, you'd say we were still fighting, but realistically we can't be relied on to do that and therefore we'll likely fall away now. The cup game is huge now.

It kind of feels like he did all that hard work, hit some great form and then started believing his hype and forgot how to play well. It’s really fundamental aspects of his game he seems to be lacking this year. Blows my mind.
To begin with, he is NOT a right back. The problem, the few times he played in the middle he was baaddd:

We're nowhere near, regardless of injuries.

I have no issue with defence-first. What I have issue with is not being able to formulate attacks.

Two good chances created across our last three games.

Thankfully we took them when it mattered.

Imagine if we just created a few more, ey?

We have it in our locker to do it, but we're too negative and slow in possession on too many occasions.
Which is why I said we need a door unlocker in midfield, instead loads of people are pining for a jarg tackle merchant like Gana.

hardly had any service at all to be fair as we were going backwards more than forward, chelsea so much better but when you have their starting 11 and much better subs, while spending a few hundred million ,it was always going to be hard tonight
His pressing was shocking tonight, he was the weak link in that, most of the time jogging about

Big ask to get anything tonight. Chelsea flying and not conceding to anyone at home. We needed creativity and perhaps more bravery, far too easily cowed and knocking the ball backwards. But could have buried one of the scrappy attempts in the 1st half and made a game of it.

Penno did us but could just as easily have ended 1-0.

Think the set up was OK but the weaker links in the side are clear to see sadly.

....we’ll be more exposed against the better sides without Doucoure. Thought we coped ok to a certain point but the 2nd goal killed the game and all hopes of a point.

Rash challenge from Pickford for the critical goal spoiled a decent game for him, I’m going for Allen as MoM for a 7/10 performance fighting a cause largely on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.