Homepage Article Moshiri - 5 Years In

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Great read and insightful analysis as always. I’d challenge your view of Brands though. You haven’t mentioned the absolute mess he inherited 3 years ago. Sorting this has sucked up a huge amount of his time and resources and I think he’s done as good a repair job as could reasonably be expected (Delph signing aside but I think most people thought that looked good on paper). I think if his contract is extended and with the much more organised squad we now have, we will see the best of Brands in the coming years.

For me three components are necessary to have success. World class manager, world class players, world class financial backing. Sometimes you can get away with two out of three. In the past we’ve struggled to have even one out of three. Any time we’ve had world class players (Lukaku Barkley Stones) they’ve been managed by poor managers. Other times we’ve had vedy good managers (Moyes) and top players (Rooney) but no financial backing to build from there.

Now we have probably our best manager since Kendall, we have some very good players (James, DCL, Digne, Richarlison, Allan, Godfrey), and we have an owner who is willing to invest as much as possible. This is the best position we’ve ever been in in the premier league to make a sustained push for success.

The amount he's invested shows he wants what's best.

He's just trusted some people not cut out for his ambition.

Should be sorted now

It’s just a shame Ancelotti wasn’t available when we went for Koeman. Can you imagine Ancelotti with Lukaku and also with the money Moshiri spent. We probably would have been top 4 in his first season and he might convinced Barkley and Lukaku to stay.

Some poor decisions over the period but always willing back whichever ever manager is in charge. Make no mistake not in a million years would we have a manager of the calibre of Ancelotti without him at the helm. So for this i'am eternally grateful.

I think his legacy will always be in the BMS move,after years of false dawns regarding stadium moves if he is the man responsible for us realising the dream of us moving to the waterfront this alone should cement this status in Everton history.

The final chapter in his own story will hopefully involve us winning some form of silverware. After the countless millions poured into the club with little to show for it you'd hope sooner rather than later this will be the cherry on the cake for everyone involved with club.

The last 5 years shows one thing more than anything else, all the money in the world is pointless unless you have the right manager. The right manager will attract and recruit the right players and the right manager will get more individually and collectively from those players. I feel sorry for Mosh as he trusted the football people to make football decisions and they wasted £400 plus million of his dough. However he takes some of the heat as he signed off on some terrible managers. He is now finally getting some reward that the right manager is now in place but he’ll never make those millions back

....I would be critical of many of his managerial appointments (including Steve Walsh), but he has backed them with money and doesn’t appear to interfere.

I think we’re better for him being here and new stadium build will be a fantastic legacy of his tenure if he pulls it off.

....I would be critical of many of his managerial appointments (including Steve Walsh), but he has backed them with money and doesn’t appear to interfere.

I think we’re better for him being here and new stadium build will be a fantastic legacy of his tenure if he pulls it off.

The only one I’m critical of is Silva. Koeman was a lot of people’s choice at the time. He’d seemingly done well with Southampton (although that now feels like he just rode on Pochettino’s work), he’d won trophies previously and he was seen as a disciplinarian to counteract the casual nature of the late Martinez days. Steve Walsh was also a well known commodity after his Leicester success. That should have been a combination that worked, a proven premier league manager being given players by a proven recruitment expert. It went badly wrong as everyone knows but I don’t think at the time that many people were claiming Koeman was a terrible choice.

Ancelotti ha obviously been a brilliant choice so far.

It’s only Silva that I think was an obviously poor move. He had a reputation above what he’d actually achieved. I just don’t know why we went for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.