Everton Youth Teams Thread

Angus Gunn is 25 and on loan at a bottom half championship side, as is Rabbi Matondo. It's a bit of a stretch to say they're top half PL players I would have thought. If we're counting them then surely the likes of Dowell can be similarly inflated? Ntcham I like but he's not even really cemented himself in the Celtic team and they're awful. Adarabioyo is in the same defence as Robinson. Some of those City players (Foden, Sancho etc) are obviously way above what we've produced in the last couple of years. The rest I think you're hugely exaggerating the current level of.

There's loads to this debate really. However it's quite widely known in football circles that while City produce better teams, United bring through more players. Even in the last game they played they had Rashford and Mctominay starting with Greenwood coming off the bench. City have Foden who is a similar level to Greenwood really. I know you can say Sancho, but they bought him off Watford at 15/16, an he left for Dortmund (I believe at 17) and it is really Dortmund who have brought him through. I'm not sure thats really evidence of City bringing through a player.

To me I'm just happy if we get 2-3 players through every 5 years that can help the first team squad not necessarily start.

Davies? Kenny? Dowell? Could argue aren't even good enough for our bench. It's just not enough. We certainly need to be buying more in IMO.

Last night I thought everyone on the pitch including Nkounkou was very average. Need at least one to stand out but nope. Number 7 for them bossed the game from the first minute.

I thought the 7 (Clarkson I believe) reminded me of Liam Walsh. Technically a very talented player, but he will be too small. I'd disagree with Nkounkou though, I thought he looked miles better than the Liverpool lad at right wing and was playing in 2nd gear and was levels ahead of him. Never really looked worried in the game. He looked not only more powerful than his opposite number, but he knew how to use it.

But Gunn got City £10m and has played multiple games in the PL so he's not Jamie Jones.

Matondo is 20, Bundesliga player, out on loan now but will have a better career than a Dowell for sure.

The rest are down to personal preference but I'd say the likes of Seria A table topping Brahim Diaz, PL regular Iheanacho, CL semi-finalist Angelino etc. are better than what we're producing.

I'm not too sure why you're arguing (although you live for it) since we all agree our academy is a bit thin on quality these days.
I'm not arguing, I'm just putting forward a view slightly different to yours. I don't know why you think everyone who doesn't automatically agree with every point you make is out to get you but it does get a bit tiresome to be honest. I would say if we're including some of these lads that spent a couple of years at City after being bought as already very highly rated youngsters then it's only fair to say that 'CL finalist Eric Dier' and 'World Cup winner' Shkodran Mustafi have done a bit more in the game than 'midtable bundesliga squad player' Javairo Dilrosun. But as you say, personal preference.

There's some interesting and varied discussion on this over the last few pages, all of which I do think is worthwhile even though it has different viewpoints.

I watched the game last night, and Liverpool looked far more co-ordinated and controlled the game. You could also see, they pressed as the first team did, but were also exposed to the same problems the 1st team has when side beat the press.

We looked a lot bigger and stronger than them which was a positive, though as I said last night we didn't use it. The ages were also quite similar, I think across the teams we have a cumalative average age about 0.35 years younger than them. So really marginally younger. We also had the 2 youngest players on the pitch (Onyango then Kouyate). So it's a bit of a mixed bag.

I do think the ban has hit us. Over half of Liverpools 11 yesterday were bought in at reserve level, only 5 of them were scholars from under 18's. 10 of our lads were all with us at under 18 (albeit Iversen was brought in). Liverpool is obviously a big place, but what Liverpool are doing and have done very well is supplement local players with a large number of players from further affield, which given the ban we have been unable to do. A number of thelads they've brought in, when you factor in agents fees, singing on fees etc are 1m+ deals (similar to what Nkounkou would be). But last night in essence they have 6 or 7 Nkounkou's to our 1.

This is heightened further by a couple of points. Firstly the year groups around that age group were not particuarly strong. The current 17's are a good year groun, but between them and Tom Davies's year group there wasn't a lot. That sort of shows last night really. Also probably the 2 strongest players- Gordon (in the first team) and Dobbin (injured) were not playing. Like if we had Nkounkou, Brainthwaite and 4-5 others at that level, alongside say Dobbin and Gordon with maybe 2 of last nights players playing you get a closer understanding of where both sides are at. Sure they will say Curtis Jones is like their Gordon, so perhaps he should be left out, but you get the gist.

The ban lifting is an opportunity. It allows us to start competing to sign players again. It makes a big difference, local lads from Liverpool will get you so far, but we do need more like Brainthwaite and Nkounkou. For us players like DCL/Holgate/Stones all signed as teenagers have worked very well for us.

Of the players last night, I was really disappointed with Simms. He spends a lot of time walking around. I don't think he will make the grade. John was also underwhelming. When you look at the two teams, and start thinking- if we could do what Liverpool do, those would be 2 of the 3/4 local lads you'd have in your team, yet neither really stood out.

I thought Onyango showed promise. He is a big big unit. Next to that Clarkson, he was about a foot bigger than him and is 2 or 3 years than him as well. For the youngest player on the pitch, against lads who will be on 1m+ per year I thought he competed well and you can see the genesis of a player in there.

We take Nkounkou as red as he's performed well in the 1st team- but of the others he was the only one who really caught my eye and I thought he can carry the ball at pace and have the physique to play in the 1st team.

For Liverpool, you'd only really look at that Billy Koumetia as a potential option to "make it" in the PL. He's listed at 6 fr 5 but looks smaller than Onyango, so looks bout 6 ft 1 to me. He played ok, but if he can't get a look in for Liverpool now at 18/19 he never will.

As a final aside, I here a lot about academy restructuring, though I'm not sure what it really entails. I know they have the fella from Derby there. If we are going to have Unsworth and Ebbrell in charge, I'd at least want them to look like they play in their image, which I didn't think we did last night. We weren't aggressive enough, or physical enough. I tghink had we been the game was there for us to win.

-14 v -9

....but are any academies feeding top PL teams with a flow of youngsters? I’m not defending it per se, but the demands and money are such that the trend is to buy better than what you have.

well kenny will still be a premier league footballer maybe not with us.

then you have someone like robinson at fulham, hes a premier league footballer who we had to let go cos he couldnt get game time with us.
people would cry if he had of learnt on the job with us in the premier league when he wasnt ready.
There are teams that are pushing youth players into their senior teams. Chelsea, Arsenal Utd being the prime examples from this season.

Obviously those clubs have had an advantage in that they have a few more games where they’ve been able to ‘blood’ young players more effectively like FA Cup games/League Cup/European dead rubbers etc whereas we are effectively fighting on all fronts to try and make an impact.

There does seem to be an element of risk aversion at the club which does hinder Youth Development at the minute, combined with a unstable environment in terms of playing styles granted, but it feels like we aren’t finding the right players at the minute who have the ability to fully push on. I do think the ghost of Rooney is a massive problem that the club has - we look for really good technique similar to him at that age, but seem to forget all the other bits that made him so special at that age.

There are teams that are pushing youth players into their senior teams. Chelsea, Arsenal Utd being the prime examples from this season.

Obviously those clubs have had an advantage in that they have a few more games where they’ve been able to ‘blood’ young players more effectively like FA Cup games/League Cup/European dead rubbers etc whereas we are effectively fighting on all fronts to try and make an impact.

There does seem to be an element of risk aversion at the club which does hinder Youth Development at the minute, combined with a unstable environment in terms of playing styles granted, but it feels like we aren’t finding the right players at the minute who have the ability to fully push on. I do think the ghost of Rooney is a massive problem that the club has - we look for really good technique similar to him at that age, but seem to forget all the other bits that made him so special at that age.

i agree, some of the signings we make annoy me greatly due to the fact the players in question are generally average at best such as sidibe and delph and block opportunities for younger players while not offering to make us better.
its not as bad now as under previous regimes who would happily pollute the squad with poor players rather than give a young player a few games.

....but are any academies feeding top PL teams with a flow of youngsters? I’m not defending it per se, but the demands and money are such that the trend is to buy better than what you have.

Chelsea, United and Arsenal...

Some mention City as well but theyre a slightly different case in that they have unlimited funds so any players they bring through will need to be at the very top level.

There's loads to this debate really. However it's quite widely known in football circles that while City produce better teams, United bring through more players. Even in the last game they played they had Rashford and Mctominay starting with Greenwood coming off the bench. City have Foden who is a similar level to Greenwood really. I know you can say Sancho, but they bought him off Watford at 15/16, an he left for Dortmund (I believe at 17) and it is really Dortmund who have brought him through. I'm not sure thats really evidence of City bringing through a player.

There's some interesting and varied discussion on this over the last few pages, all of which I do think is worthwhile even though it has different viewpoints.

I watched the game last night, and Liverpool looked far more co-ordinated and controlled the game. You could also see, they pressed as the first team did, but were also exposed to the same problems the 1st team has when side beat the press.

We looked a lot bigger and stronger than them which was a positive, though as I said last night we didn't use it. The ages were also quite similar, I think across the teams we have a cumalative average age about 0.35 years younger than them. So really marginally younger. We also had the 2 youngest players on the pitch (Onyango then Kouyate). So it's a bit of a mixed bag.

I do think the ban has hit us. Over half of Liverpools 11 yesterday were bought in at reserve level, only 5 of them were scholars from under 18's. 10 of our lads were all with us at under 18 (albeit Iversen was brought in). Liverpool is obviously a big place, but what Liverpool are doing and have done very well is supplement local players with a large number of players from further affield, which given the ban we have been unable to do. A number of thelads they've brought in, when you factor in agents fees, singing on fees etc are 1m+ deals (similar to what Nkounkou would be). But last night in essence they have 6 or 7 Nkounkou's to our 1.

This is heightened further by a couple of points. Firstly the year groups around that age group were not particuarly strong. The current 17's are a good year groun, but between them and Tom Davies's year group there wasn't a lot. That sort of shows last night really. Also probably the 2 strongest players- Gordon (in the first team) and Dobbin (injured) were not playing. Like if we had Nkounkou, Brainthwaite and 4-5 others at that level, alongside say Dobbin and Gordon with maybe 2 of last nights players playing you get a closer understanding of where both sides are at. Sure they will say Curtis Jones is like their Gordon, so perhaps he should be left out, but you get the gist.

The ban lifting is an opportunity. It allows us to start competing to sign players again. It makes a big difference, local lads from Liverpool will get you so far, but we do need more like Brainthwaite and Nkounkou. For us players like DCL/Holgate/Stones all signed as teenagers have worked very well for us.

Of the players last night, I was really disappointed with Simms. He spends a lot of time walking around. I don't think he will make the grade. John was also underwhelming. When you look at the two teams, and start thinking- if we could do what Liverpool do, those would be 2 of the 3/4 local lads you'd have in your team, yet neither really stood out.

I thought Onyango showed promise. He is a big big unit. Next to that Clarkson, he was about a foot bigger than him and is 2 or 3 years than him as well. For the youngest player on the pitch, against lads who will be on 1m+ per year I thought he competed well and you can see the genesis of a player in there.

We take Nkounkou as red as he's performed well in the 1st team- but of the others he was the only one who really caught my eye and I thought he can carry the ball at pace and have the physique to play in the 1st team.

For Liverpool, you'd only really look at that Billy Koumetia as a potential option to "make it" in the PL. He's listed at 6 fr 5 but looks smaller than Onyango, so looks bout 6 ft 1 to me. He played ok, but if he can't get a look in for Liverpool now at 18/19 he never will.

As a final aside, I here a lot about academy restructuring, though I'm not sure what it really entails. I know they have the fella from Derby there. If we are going to have Unsworth and Ebbrell in charge, I'd at least want them to look like they play in their image, which I didn't think we did last night. We weren't aggressive enough, or physical enough. I tghink had we been the game was there for us to win.

-14 v -9

When you look at the current crop we have:

U21 = Virginia / Branthwaite / Nkounkou / Gordon and Kean
Just one of these came through the youth system

U25 = Godfrey, Holgate, Gbamin, Kenny, Davies, Iwobi, Richarlison, DCL
Two players through the youth system who most want sold

Were obviously having far more success buying players than bringing them through. It also could be that with the ban weve not been able to match 'quality with quality' where some of our youngsters may have benefited from playing alongside better imported players to help them kick on.

The one thing ive said for years is that we should have a decent sized budget for signing youth players.

If we sold Kenny and Davies today for example thats close to £20mil. You can do alot with that kind of money at the youth level as shown with our signings in recent years.

I thought the 7 (Clarkson I believe) reminded me of Liam Walsh. Technically a very talented player, but he will be too small. I'd disagree with Nkounkou though, I thought he looked miles better than the Liverpool lad at right wing and was playing in 2nd gear and was levels ahead of him. Never really looked worried in the game. He looked not only more powerful than his opposite number, but he knew how to use it.

No 7 was Morton the goalscorer. Slight of body but was very, very impressed with him.

Nkounkou wasn't troubled but he had an off night. Some wayward passes and touches out.

I'm not arguing, I'm just putting forward a view slightly different to yours. I don't know why you think everyone who doesn't automatically agree with every point you make is out to get you but it does get a bit tiresome to be honest. I would say if we're including some of these lads that spent a couple of years at City after being bought as already very highly rated youngsters then it's only fair to say that 'CL finalist Eric Dier' and 'World Cup winner' Shkodran Mustafi have done a bit more in the game than 'midtable bundesliga squad player' Javairo Dilrosun. But as you say, personal preference.

Tiresome and yet it's always you replying to my posts. Funny that.

Tiresome and yet it's always you replying to my posts. Funny that.
You post about a thousand times a month and I reply about twice. There are certainly people I reply to more often, I don't follow you round like. You have interesting opinions, sometimes they provoke a debate. It's just a shame you're clearly dead weird and don't actually like people responding to you on the public forum you regularly post your opinions on.

Just noticed that Matty Foulds has joined Bradford City - his hometown club - until the end of the season.

After leaving us in May he moved to Como in Italy but couldn't settle so asked for his contract to be torn up. Presume he meant on the pitch because no-one in his right mind would swap Como for Bradford!

Just noticed that Matty Foulds has joined Bradford City - his hometown club - until the end of the season.

After leaving us in May he moved to Como in Italy but couldn't settle so asked for his contract to be torn up. Presume he meant on the pitch because no-one in his right mind would swap Como for Bradford!
Depends really. Odd time to be overseas. I know lads that have played in other countries and the real problem is the loneliness if you don’t have a group of others that can speak the same language. Not exactly like you can slip into local life too easily either. Looking up at the rules of the league he was in I imagine he wasn’t getting a huge amount of game time either.

Depends really. Odd time to be overseas. I know lads that have played in other countries and the real problem is the loneliness if you don’t have a group of others that can speak the same language. Not exactly like you can slip into local life too easily either. Looking up at the rules of the league he was in I imagine he wasn’t getting a huge amount of game time either.
Yes I suspect he wasn't getting much game time, Had his wife and child with him over there so it would have been an experience for them, though not as good as it would have been in normal times. Speaks well of his 4 years with us.

The one thing ive said for years is that we should have a decent sized budget for signing youth players.

If we sold Kenny and Davies today for example thats close to £20mil. You can do alot with that kind of money at the youth level as shown with our signings in recent years.

something been punting since Moyes days.. youth galacticos... happy to say it seems we are trying as best we can recently to follow this route.. Stones was the first in my opinion.. quite a lot for a kid by us.. then Holgate .. we paid quite a bit for Gibson too.. then a real punt at Kean...

by and large it’s a risk free approach.. with massive upside... long may it continue