2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just isn't a reliable option anymore, When he's feeling it he can be such a wonderful player but he seems to have regressed and it's worrying.

I did think he eventually grew into the game and retained the ball well, but as others say the 'sharpness' really isn't there. Part of me thinks Ancelotti didn't trust Davies enough to replace Allan at that point of the game.

To be honest it was a stupid tackle regardless. It was one of those half hearted nibbles that you really don’t want to be doing in the box. I didn’t think it was his worst game on the ball yesterday (I don’t really mind him passing backwards if we’re winning) but his lack of mobility is a big issue.
You’re right it could have changed the tide of the game I can’t even remember who was in front of the Leicester player that would have had it covered? Luckily the blues ride on

Gomes never takes the ball and faces the opposition goal these days, he’s always looking to go back. It’s frustrating but I’m not sure you can blame his injury - his goals and assists record doesn’t point to him ever really being an attacking threat and even for us pre-injury he didn’t have much end product. It’s a shame but he’s a bit of a nothing player really, a blunt attacking instrument that can’t defend either. He’s a squad player at best in Carlo’s eyes I think and I’d imagine we’d be looking to upgrade in the next window or two. He does seem like a nice bloke though and gave us a few nice moments during dark times for the club so I’d wish him all the best when he moves on.

Just read Sam Carroll's article on the Echo today and he shares my exact sentiments on Gomes...

----

Need More, Andre Gomes!

The award for the Most Relieved Man in the King Power Stadium on Wednesday night went to Andre Gomes. Hands-down.

A tackle that, in real-time, looked clumsy and slow was eventually overturned after Lee Mason awarded a penalty when substitute Ayoze Perez went down in the box.

There were eight minutes of normal time remaining and Everton, comfortable at 2-0, would have come under real pressure had the spot-kick not been reviewed by VAR.

So we can chalk that down as a fine challenge, but Gomes had more than 45 minutes to impress after replacing the stricken Allan in the first-half.

In all honesty, he remains a long way from the player who first arrived from Barcelona under Marco Silva.

Okay, the injury he sustained last year was horrific, and Gomes himself has admitted he still does not feel back to full fitness.

But Everton need more dynamism from him if he is to step into the starting line-up in the absence of Allan. He is undoubtedly neat and tidy, and can pick a pass, but when was the last time he picked up the ball and moved Everton forward?

That side of his game has not been showcased enough since his return.

A win and a clean-sheet allowed Gomes to scratch off a job done symbol for now. Yet the real test begins when Everton have a proper diagnosis on Allan and Ancelotti begins to consider what his midfield will look like without his trusted lieutenant.

The quality of Gomes has never been in doubt, nor has his commitment. Yet it feels like now is the right time for him to begin finding his place in this time.

It almost feels like now or never.

----

Well he's talking out his arse then
He's getting bashed there's always someone, he isn't the player he was that's obvious but last night I thought he played well and the penalty incident I thought the right decision was made, Phil Neville was summing up and not once did he talk about Perez going down like a bag of spuds with little or no contact. Gomes knew it was a clean challenge which is why he immediately spoke with the ref. He isn't first choice anymore clearly but lets give credit were its due please. Sigi too did really well a great team performance.

He's getting bashed there's always someone, he isn't the player he was that's obvious but last night I thought he played well and the penalty incident I thought the right decision was made, Phil Neville was summing up and not once did he talk about Perez going down like a bag of spuds with little or no contact. Gomes knew it was a clean challenge which is why he immediately spoke with the ref. He isn't first choice anymore clearly but lets give credit were its due please. Sigi too did really well a great team performance.
Its not just about the challenge. That just reinforces the notion he's a liability.
- he at LEASt once a match turns over ball leading to dangerous counters; and often causes the breakdown in play
- which is why he sticks to playing the easy pass the rest of the time
- he offers very little going forward, no more than 10 high quality passes since he's been here
- Richarlison is left to do the grunt work and deserves better support
- goals, assists?
- worse is his defense, its just woeful, so easy to beat, has to foul to compensate (which at least he's doing now thanks to CA)

# bring back Tom Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.