2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mad that some fans are talking about him being sacked. Wasn't long ago we were blasting Spirit of the Blues and getting giddy over our football.

For me, he's shown the good and bad. He's shown how well we can play with a squad that badly needs improving still.

He's also shown how badly we can play. In that instance, it's no surprise that key players are missing from that squad (that badly needs improving).

I know we're wanting and expecting more, but at some point, do we need to be realistic as a fanbase that we're nowhere near the level we think we are and it's going to take time to rebuild a squad worthy of it. We have a bench with Tosun and Sigurdsson on it. Yet fans seem to think we should be CL?? A reality check is needed, we have a few key players, without them, we're a very poor squad. It's going to take time, money and patience.

Would you agree that it’s fair to criticise some of the decisions he’s made recently that he’s got badly wrong and have cost us? Because that’s all most people in here are doing. There’s absolutely no serious talk of sacking him whatsoever, that’s just something that’s been invented by people who can’t accept that he’s made questionable decisions recently that are being called out.

Anyone calling for him to be sacked at this moment in time is a lunatic and an idiot. Anyone refusing to acknowledge that he’s made a lot of poor judgement calls recently is naive.

I must admit on Saturday I was like that’s it sack him. Throw the book at poch and go again. But after few hours after ranting and coming back to reality just had to accept that, he will have a good runs and some really bad runs this season. We lack depth of quality. First 11 and maybe 1-2 on the bench that’s it. The rest need to move on. Carlo can attract players that wouldn’t come to us at first. Just need to have a patience this season and hopefully next season we will all see are patience rewarded. Carlo can still bring success this season as well. Of the pitch things are going on new stadium and restructure of are youth and scouts which we probably won’t see the benefit off that for a couple of seasons. Need to keep the faith with him even when making some weird decisions on personal and formations. We are hungry for success especially with what’s going on in Mordor but must be patient. Coyb

There’s absolutely no serious talk of sacking him whatsoever, that’s just something that’s been invented by people who can’t accept that he’s made questionable decisions recently that are being called out.
To be fair mate...

Firmly in the Ancelotti out camp. Seen enough crap managers at Everton to know which way this is going.

Think I showed some stats earlier that had Ancelotti at 1.5 ppg over 29 league games. That’s 60 points a season. Considering we’ve not showed that form since Koeman’s first season it seems like rather than failing miserably he’s dragged us up a level just by walking through the door. He’s just getting started.
I don't have the figures so I don't know if you're rounding here, but if not you're hugely exaggerating. 1.5ppg over 38 games is 57 points, not 60. The last season before he took over Silva got 54 points. So 'dragging us up a level' would consist of getting 3 more points. As I said yesterday, i'm not sure that these weird exaggerations and outright lies that people seem to insist on really help.

I don't have the figures so I don't know if you're rounding here, but if not you're hugely exaggerating. 1.5ppg over 38 games is 57 points, not 60. The last season before he took over Silva got 54 points. So 'dragging us up a level' would consist of getting 3 more points. As I said yesterday, i'm not sure that these weird exaggerations and outright lies that people seem to insist on really help.

Sorry my error I rounded down. 29 league games, 46 points, 1.586 points per game = 60 points over a 38 game season.

The seasons before we had got 17/18 49 points and 18/19 54 points. Silva had us with 15 points from 15 games when he left in 18/19.

Whatever you take as the baseline, Ancelotti has improved the league performance. He now of course needs to maintain this and improve it so it reflects in the league table at the end of this season.

Just read that Athletico Madrid have a debt of £895 million and need to cut costs.

Now If Carlo hasn't us in europe or a trophy win come the seasons end could we take advantage and attract Simeone away with the promise of funds to spend that he likely wont be getting at the Spanish club going forward?

One things for sure Diego would fit Everton and the Dogs of War like a glove.

Just read that Athletico Madrid have a debt of £895 million and need to cut costs.

Now If Carlo hasn't us in europe or a trophy win come the seasons end could we take advantage and attract Simeone away with the promise of funds to spend that he likely wont be getting at the Spanish club going forward?

We'll need about 15 new players to even begin thinking about becoming the dogs of war again, unfortunately. No manager in the world will turn this group into anything special, and certainly won't get them running through brick walls for the club and the fans. Full of cowards just happy to pick up a pay cheque.

A sensible baseline is probably around 50 points when you count the last 5 seasons. But this is just a mathematical definition. Had we had to sell away all the star players, and replace them with junior players, this would not have been a sensible baseline. This season we have invested heavily in players and have one of the highest paid managers in the league. Although this will be subjective, I think it is reasonable to expect us to achieve ± 60 points. This is about 3 wins more than last year.

Would be a complete reversion in football philosophy from Carlo. Do fans want to see that sort of football? Yes if it’s winning but there’s countless times in big games Atletico will focus first on not conceding. It’s like the ultra form of Moyes’ football. Ancelotti seems to focus first on how we can score and when that is done right you have exciting teams like his Real Madrid Chelsea and Milan teams.

Simeone is another example though of giving a good manager time. He’s had seasons at Ateltico and multiple CL involvements. That’s the key difference with England opposed to other leagues. If you raise your head above the parapet in Spain you can get top 4 easily. There’s Madrid Barca but then 3rd and 4th are always open (as they were when Simeone took over). If you put some decent form together you make the CL and then you can attract even better players. Same is true in Germany (the example of Dortmund and now Leipzig) and also Italy. In England you can have a great season and finish fifth with four of the biggest sides in world football ahead of you. They all get stronger next season and your best players think about leaving, you also can’t attract better ones.

Would be a complete reversion in football philosophy from Carlo. Do fans want to see that sort of football? Yes if it’s winning but there’s countless times in big games Atletico will focus first on not conceding. It’s like the ultra form of Moyes’ football. Ancelotti seems to focus first on how we can score and when that is done right you have exciting teams like his Real Madrid Chelsea and Milan teams.

Simeone is another example though of giving a good manager time. He’s had seasons at Ateltico and multiple CL involvements. That’s the key difference with England opposed to other leagues. If you raise your head above the parapet in Spain you can get top 4 easily. There’s Madrid Barca but then 3rd and 4th are always open (as they were when Simeone took over). If you put some decent form together you make the CL and then you can attract even better players. Same is true in Germany (the example of Dortmund and now Leipzig) and also Italy. In England you can have a great season and finish fifth with four of the biggest sides in world football ahead of you. They all get stronger next season and your best players think about leaving, you also can’t attract better ones.

The fans would love him here - sometimes players/managers just fit somewhere.

Klopp fits RS like a glove
Mourinho fitted Chelsea like a glove

Give this man the dough to bring in his own players and we would be duking it out for the title with the nutter bouncing around the touchline with the Park End lids loving every second of it.

DIEGO!
DIEGO!
DIEGO!

They'll chant and chant they would.

Scuritinising the numbers makes sense. Silva was around 1.3 ppg, Ancelotti is around 1.6 ppg. He's around 0.3 ppg better (so about 10-12 points a season). I think thats actually pretty good.

This is doubly so, as he came in mid season, didnt have a sumer to work with the team initially and had a team around 15th to take over.

The problem is, sides who are around 1.6 ppg tend to lose a lot of games. They will go on winning and losing runs in a season.

oh god.

Scuritinising the numbers makes sense. Silva was around 1.3 ppg, Ancelotti is around 1.6 ppg. He's around 0.3 ppg better (so about 10-12 points a season). I think thats actually pretty good.

This is doubly so, as he came in mid season, didnt have a sumer to work with the team initially and had a team around 15th to take over.

The problem is, sides who are around 1.6 ppg tend to lose a lot of games. They will go on winning and losing runs in a season.
Personally league position is the key for me. I think what we're asking Ancelotti to do is catapult us up the league, rather than just get more points, if that makes sense. I think we're asking him to outperform the Wolves or Leicesters of the world, whether that means getting 55 points or 65. I've said plenty of times, 7th would be a 'good' return for me, anything above that would be very impressive, anything lower would be disappointing, bottom half would be unacceptable. But yes, obviously getting 60 points would put us very much in that 7th bracket so that would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.