2020/21 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best posts I've read on here. A lot of band wagon jumping goes on here, a few think he's a superstar and the ball starts rolling until massive swathes of supporters think he's a 100 million player. He's brazilian. He doesn't have the skill of a good brazilian. He runs a lot with the ball with his head down, up blind alleys, and hasn't got a trick up his sleeve.

He doesn't assist nearly as much as his position and 'reputation ' requires him to. there are very few occasions when watching him that I go 'wow, that was good'. He scores the odd goal here and there and admittedly the rare very good goal, but nowhere near enough for someone with his 'reputation '.

I don't know what position or what his real role in the team is. he hasn't the skill to be a wide player and doesn't assist enough either to fulfil that role. I think he's marginally better as a striker, but will probably bag you around 12 league goals a season, which isn't magnificent is it?

The thing I like is that he works hard and runs a lot, but surely that's not his main role in the team?

Apparently he's a good lad and there's a lot worse than him in our squad, but I'm not getting the hype around him and I certainly wouldn't be crying my eyes out of he left. We'd miss his workrate and a few goals, but hey, there's lots of players in English leagues who offer that. He's been p!ss poor this season and anyone who thinks he hasn't been is deluded.

One of the best posts I've read on here. A lot of band wagon jumping goes on here, a few think he's a superstar and the ball starts rolling until massive swathes of supporters think he's a 100 million player. He's brazilian. He doesn't have the skill of a good brazilian. He runs a lot with the ball with his head down, up blind alleys, and hasn't got a trick up his sleeve.

He doesn't assist nearly as much as his position and 'reputation ' requires him to. there are very few occasions when watching him that I go 'wow, that was good'. He scores the odd goal here and there and admittedly the rare very good goal, but nowhere near enough for someone with his 'reputation '.

I don't know what position or what his real role in the team is. he hasn't the skill to be a wide player and doesn't assist enough either to fulfil that role. I think he's marginally better as a striker, but will probably bag you around 12 league goals a season, which isn't magnificent is it?

The thing I like is that he works hard and runs a lot, but surely that's not his main role in the team?

Apparently he's a good lad and there's a lot worse than him in our squad, but I'm not getting the hype around him and I certainly wouldn't be crying my eyes out of he left. We'd miss his workrate and a few goals, but hey, there's lots of players in English leagues who offer that. He's been p!ss poor this season and anyone who thinks he hasn't been is deluded.

Good points about his often running with head down and down blind alleys. No ballon d’or player has ever had that characteristic; he’s unlikely to develop the game vision he currently lacks at this stage of his career. And it isn’t merely a question of awareness in any case.

The problem is partly physical/athletic. Richarlison is not slow, but he does lack that turn of pace that the elite players in the hybrid winger/striker position (Mbappe, Mane, Salah and a half dozen others I could name) he plays possess. So to compensate he too often runs head down, like a sprinter, in those situations where it is essentially a foot race with the covering defender and a player with better acceleration would be able to generate the pace more effortlessly — in a way that not only gives him the ability to keep his head up and remain aware of passing options as he’s running but also that extra split second to deliver the final ball accurately.

So it is a combination of lacking the physical attribute of Mbappe-like pace and the mental attribute of Sancho-like vision and awareness for the assist (to compare Richarlison with younger and still-developing players like himself rather than players who have reached their peak such as Mane and Salah) which explains his relatively poor showing against the elite players in his position for assists and for chances created.

I suspect the ballon d’or comments were just an attempt by Carlo to boost Richarlison’s confidence. When you consider the ballon d’or level — not necessarily winners, but players of that calibre — players Ancelotti has played with or coached such as Gullit, Van Basten, Ronaldo Nazario, Cristiano Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Pirlo, Kaka, Ibrahimovic, Drogba, Shevchenko etc., with the best will in the world I can’t see Richarlison ending his career being mentioned in the same breath as that cohort.

he's still creating chances he just hasn't got his shooting boots. As long as he keeps creating chances for himself the goals will come but he offers so much more that he can get away with one aspect of his game not firing on all cylinders.

Not sure about this yeno. It's clear he loves representing Brazil and I don't blame him for that.. but defying the club staff over your fitness isn't great really. We pay the guys wages after all..

Not sure about this yeno. It's clear he loves representing Brazil and I don't blame him for that.. but defying the club staff over your fitness isn't great really.

Yeah that's definitely not on at all and he should be warned about thinking of pulling such a stunt again. Imagine he'd have come back with a severely injured ankle after damaging it further for Brazil? It wouldn't be his country suffering -- they've got plenty of players to replace him -- it'd be us suffering for his dishonesty.

I can't imagine his goalscoring is attracting much interest of bigger clubs this season, so I am sure he doesn't want dropping and made an example of for what happens when you try to deceive the club that is paying your millions.

Not sure about this yeno. It's clear he loves representing Brazil and I don't blame him for that.. but defying the club staff over your fitness isn't great really. We pay the guys wages after all..

What a legend. Screw Everton Richy lad. You’re in good company. We have a few lads in the country over club department he’s in good company.

Yeah that's definitely not on at all and he should be warned about thinking of pulling such a stunt again. Imagine he'd have come back with a severely injured ankle after damaging it further for Brazil? It wouldn't be his country suffering -- they've got plenty of players to replace him -- it'd be us suffering for his dishonesty.

I can't imagine his goalscoring is attracting much interest of bigger clubs this season, so I am sure he doesn't want dropping and made an example of for what happens when you try to deceive the club that is paying your millions.
With our record without Richy I don’t think he fears that type of retaliation in the slightest.

Agree, that is bang out of order no matter how much he loves playing for Brazil.

So what you're saying is Barca are rumoured to be prepared to splash 100 million on a work-horse, water carrier, Kevin kilbane clone?

He doesn't really do assists, is an average goal-scorer, and does loads of donkey work for the team. Why am I not seeing the 100 million footballer everyone, (or his agent) is talking about?

The lad will leave at the end of the season, go to a huge club, and fail miserably whilst earning a huge pay packet. We are just a stepping stone for him.
I'm puzzled, did you ever see Kilbane play? Have you seen Richarlison play? Do you imagine Kilbane was good enough to use us as a stepping stone, or would have ever have been of interest to a huge club? If so how can you say he is a Kilbane clone?

With our record without Richy I don’t think he fears that type of retaliation in the slightest.
Absolutely, which is also a problem for many in our squad. Basically it's do what you want and perform how you want, because we don't have anybody better to replace you with, even if it's temporary.

Pickford obviously the main example, and now Richarlison. Disgraceful to be honest to deceive the club in such a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.