2020/21 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's had 10 assists in 116 premier league appearances for Watford and Everton combined.

6 assists in 88 appearances for Everton in all comps. That's nowhere near good enough for a wide position.

To be the all round 100 mill player we all think he is, do those assist stats not need to be greatly improved?

James Rodriguez already has half his number of assists (3) in only 9 premier league appearances. And 3 goals. Not saying he should have as many as james, but, assist -wise he's been very poor for a wide player.
He isn't a traditional wide player though. The amount of work he gets through is unreal. DCL has been told to stay within the width of the penalty area and Hamez is given pretty much a free role. Richarlison is sacrificing himself for the team and we look a much poorer side when he doesn't play.

Goal- scoring-wise, he's on about the same ratio as Callum Wilson who has 56 goals in 170 premier league appearances.

Richarlison has 36 in 116 premier league appearances.

I'm not saying it's a particularly poor return, but it's not outstanding either is it?

I don't hear people going on about Barca wanting to splash 100 million on Callum Wilson when there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two players.

I can't see what's so outstanding about him except that maybe he's brazilian.

He isn't a traditional wide player though. The amount of work he gets through is unreal. DCL has been told to stay within the width of the penalty area and Hamez is given pretty much a free role. Richarlison is sacrificing himself for the team and we look a much poorer side when he doesn't play.

So what you're saying is Barca are rumoured to be prepared to splash 100 million on a work-horse, water carrier, Kevin kilbane clone?

He doesn't really do assists, is an average goal-scorer, and does loads of donkey work for the team. Why am I not seeing the 100 million footballer everyone, (or his agent) is talking about?

The lad will leave at the end of the season, go to a huge club, and fail miserably whilst earning a huge pay packet. We are just a stepping stone for him.

So what you're saying is Barca are rumoured to be prepared to splash 100 million on a work-horse, water carrier, Kevin kilbane clone?

He doesn't really do assists, is an average goal-scorer, and does loads of donkey work for the team. Why am I not seeing the 100 million footballer everyone, (or his agent) is talking about?

The lad will leave at the end of the season, go to a huge club, and fail miserably whilst earning a huge pay packet. We are just a stepping stone for him.
Richarlison is extremely talented AND works his socks off for the team. That is a good combination.

He has 23 caps for Brazil at the age of 23, up against the likes of Neymar, Jesus, Firmino, Barbosa, Rodrygo and Vinicius Jnr amongst others. He has done that whilst playing for Watford and Everton.

Richarlison is a genuine talent with the potential to become World class in the next few years.

Comparing him to Kilbane or Callum Wilson is farcical.

I'm not here to throw dirt in this Richy arguement. I love him as a player and what he does for the team.

But I do feel people throw the Brazil arguement too much to talk about his value. Brazil has not been producing elite forwards since the 2000s outside of Neymar, who is often hurt and also opens up a spot.

Being a Brazil national team attacking player is not what it used to be. They've had to field some pretty mediocre players for years in attack and rely a lot on Neymar to carry them offensively.

We have to judge Richy for what he does here.

He is immensely valuable to us. I don't ever want him gone and replacing him will be EXTREMELY difficult.

But he also needs to better. He is an attacking player and needs to provide an end product in the form of goals or assists. We can't say it's because he sacrifices a lot defensively because while that is true, he is a pretty vocal point in the offense. It's not like he is not featured offensively because he is busy playing defense. He gets plenty of usage and plenty of shots. He just needs to be better. That is the truth.

@ gwladysknight. A guy called fred (not the Utd fred) played centre forward for Brazil at the 2014 world cup in brazil. He was good wasn't he?.................

I'm not saying he's as average as kilbane or Callum wilson, but jesus, he's no neymar either!

Way over-rated from what I can see though so we'll just have to agree to disagree shall we?

He’s a very good player who could play in the champions league. Probably will do next year. And he’ll play better surrounded by better players. He’s fairly unique in his ability to shoot with both feet and be so good in the air, whilst still providing defensive duties. Mane is similar in a way but the difference between him and richarlison is manes decision making and he doesn’t waste as many opportunities by choosing the wrong option.
He’s not the world class talent that some people label him but he could still
Improve. But hey, every supporter of a football team always thinks their best players are better than they actually are. That’s a fact. I’m sure villa fans think grealish is the best player in the league. Liverpool mane, city fans KDB. We all hype up our better players when in reality, Richie is above average, he’s not elite though. Yet.

Luca Digne has 15 assists in 78 games for us. He's our LEFT BACK for heaven's sake. Richy has 6 in 88.

Digne has to get up and down the left flank all day, working his socks off and it doesn't stop him from being one of our main creators, even though he's primarily a defender. If Richarlison was as good offensively as many supporters believe, he would still be able to show that whilst doing his defensive role. Just look at mane and firmino 's numbers at the rs ffs. Richarlison needs to improve his end product big-time.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm not letting James off the hook either. He is pretty much involved in almost every goal we scored and crucial to our offense, but he also needs to score more.

Chances created and pre assists are nice and the offense looks beautiful when he is on his game, but he is our most talented player and in a tough game like vs Leeds where the ball just wouldn't go in, he needs to take charge as he did for Colombia in 2014. He can do things offensively that the rest of the team can't do, so he has a responsibility to be more aggressive. Not always just look for the pass, especially when we are missing key players.

Taking shots from outside puts pressure on the defense and opens up lanes for the other attacking players. He passes on the shot too often. Needs to regain the attitude of aggressiveness.

We need both of these dudes to take charge if we are gonna do anything.

You haven't seriously just compared Richarlison to Kevin Kilbane...

Not really, but when richy's staunchest defenders highlight that his main/best quality is his workrate and running, maybe they are making that comparison.........so you'll have to ask his fans that one.....

Last edited:
Luca Digne has 15 assists in 78 games for us. He's our LEFT BACK for heaven's sake. Richy has 6 in 88.

Digne has to get up and down the left flank all day, working his socks off and it doesn't stop him from being one of our main creators, even though he's primarily a defender. If Richarlison was as good offensively as many supporters believe, he would still be able to show that whilst doing his defensive role. Just look at mane and firmino 's numbers at the rs ffs. Richarlison need to improve his end product big-time.
It is as if the evolution of the game over the last decade has passed you by. You want us to look at Mane and Firmino's assist numbers. Let's do that then and guess what the two players with the highest number of assists in their team are the two full backs.

Teams now play a narrow 4-3-3 with the width and creativity coming from the full backs.

Not really, but when richy's staunchest defenders highlight that his main/best quality is his workrate and running, maybe they are making that comparison.........so you'll have to ask his fans that one.....
It is the combination of extreme talent combined with elite work rate that makes Richy an exceptional talent.

It is as if the evolution of the game over the last decade has passed you by. You want us to look at Mane and Firmino's assist numbers. Let's do that then and guess what the two players with the highest number of assists in their team are the two full backs.

Teams now play a narrow 4-3-3 with the width and creativity coming from the full backs.
So let's compare like for like then, how do richy's assist numbers compare to his fellow attackers at the rs, namely mane and firminho? not favourably..

Listen, I'm not his biggest fan, haven't been from day one. If you're willing to accept he's some sort of brilliantly gifted player, that 's fine. Watching him play and His figures don't suggest it to me.

Granted, he always puts a shift in and that's great, but I expect a lot more end product in goals and assists from somebody with a reputation like his.

Status
Not open for further replies.