2020/21 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think anyone is suggesting that. I'm just saying that he could potentially be the piece in that midfield that we've needed based on his profile alone. In the only 90 minutes he played for us (1-0 vs Watford last year) he showed encouraging signs.
Its a massive risk to rely on him even for this, the pressure alone will be no good for his confidence, he's a complete unknown for us still. The midfield needs a lot of work still in the centre in my opinion.

It's becoming more and more difficult to stave off the notion that he could very well be the answer for that 'midfield 3'. His profile, on paper, would fit almost perfectly for a no. 6 role in that 4-3-3 alongside Allan & Doucoure. In theory it would provide a lot more flexibility as he's reasonably quick, can switch the ball and is certainly better at defending than Gomes.
He'll need to be able to receive and recycle possession under pressure, otherwise it'll be chaos having him and Doucoure in the same midfield.

He'll need to be able to receive and recycle possession under pressure, otherwise it'll be chaos having him and Doucoure in the same midfield.

From video clips he looked fine at this.

However it does concern me slightly with each week the expectation is growing on him. It's gone from, he will be ok to come off the bench to help, to him being a nailed on starter to bow lots of people being of the view that he is almost going to save our season.

I think we are quite likely to be underwhelmed when he comes in. It's going to take him time to get the pace of the league, if hes over his injuries, which is a whole different debate.

However it does concern me slightly with each week the expectation is growing on him. It's gone from, he will be ok to come off the bench to help, to him being a nailed on starter to bow lots of people being of the view that he is almost going to save our season.

I think we are quite likely to be underwhelmed when he comes in. It's going to take him time to get the pace of the league, if hes over his injuries, which is a whole different debate.
It's a shame that he wasn't ready in September, when he could have been the sub-on for Gomes in a team doing well, but then at least there'll still be mostly neutral / dead atmospheres for the foreseeable future.

Which makes me think the links to khedira make some sense. On a free, ok he will want a decent salary. But for 18 months it will give Gbamin time to settle back into the squad.

I know some people are obsessed with pace, but as we seen with Barry, that experience of knowing where to be on the pitch, could straight away help out the defence, while also freeing Allan & Doucoure and letting them get on the front foot. And we seem on Saturday how outstanding Allan was, when he goes forward.

Which makes me think the links to khedira make some sense. On a free, ok he will want a decent salary. But for 18 months it will give Gbamin time to settle back into the squad.

I know some people are obsessed with pace, but as we seen with Barry, that experience of knowing where to be on the pitch, could straight away help out the defence, while also freeing Allan & Doucoure and letting them get on the front foot. And we seem on Saturday how outstanding Allan was, when he goes forward.
1A6FC193-242A-45E9-A4C4-0D7622387E68.png

Khedira’s injury record. That’s page 1 of 4 mate

Yes great point. I mean I'd take Khadeira all day here.

Yes great point. I mean I'd take Khadeira all day here.
Someone who is intelligent, reads the game and is disciplined in the holding role would do me. Haven’t seen Khadeira in yonks but if he can do that I’d have him. We’d need Doucoure and Allan to do the running but we already have that issue when picking Sigurdsson or Gomes!

The only pressure he will have is from himself. That's literally every single player in football. It's not like the supporters can influence him one way or another.

Well that's not strictly true.

If we've lost 2 of our next 4 or whatever it will be by the time he comes back in, then there is pressure to perform. There's always pressure, regardless of whether fans are there. It's how the players deal with that pressure that separates the good from the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.