2020/21 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
HES BEEN OUR BEST CB SINCE CARLO CAME IN

not really saying much is it?

Holgate has been injured for most of it
Godfrey has only just came
And mina really hasn't been great at all recently

He's a senior CB who doesn't act like a senior cb, he's late 20s now and still plays like he needs someone next to him to coach him through games.

Don't think he's a massive problem compared to other positions, but him being our main cb is a problem

One could say that but look at his choices so far this season, Carlo needs to settle on a pair and stick with it.

On could also say why not try the young guns in a pairing.

I think with Carlo it's always going to be Keane and whoever he fancies partnering him with mate. Saying that though, he got Holgate back in the side as soon as he could, so he may be eager to revert back to the partnership of Keane and Holgate before Holgate got injured.

Weird performance the other day.

He kept Bamford quiet, bar one or two moments which mostly came about from pinball in the area.

But, he was generally dreadful other than that. Such unconvincing clearances and blocks.

He was very good early in the season but, once again, when the chips go down, he loses his head.

There's more to being a good centre half than just not being directly responsible for a goal though. I just don't think he's very good, and I think his limitations cause us a problem. I don't think he's decisive enough, I don't think he takes enough responsibility, and I don't think he's vocal enough. Those things have a knock on effect on team mates. If you've got a back 5 including a young lad who's new to the club like Godfrey, and 2 wing backs who aren't naturals, you really want your senior centre half to be taking control of situations, barking orders etc, but Keane always seems really jittery and that can spread. Ideally you want your centre halves to do their own jobs well and to be able to cover others; Keane almost never does the latter.
Exactly this. And just because he doesn't make a calamitous error for a goal, it doesn't mean he couldn't have done any better with it. His positional play and reading of the game is poor. Do you ever see him take the initiative by making a crucial interception? We concede a lot of chances from crosses and he is never in the right place at the right time. Just watch where he is in the box, so often stuck in no mans land, yards away from where the ball ends up. Good defenders are like magnets to the ball in their own box. They just deal with it. Keane is just passive, slow and positionally very poor.

Interesting DCL said Godfrey is rapid and Branthwaite was name checked for pace as well.

I would hope in 1-2 seasons its Holgate,Godfrey, Branthwaite + 1 other.

£22mil with no mention of salary.

Both Holgate and Godfrey seem alot more front foot than Mina or Keane.

They have been for several seasons...
I’d play three if necessary....Holgate, Godfrey and Branthwaite. This season is a write off for many reasons, not least the fact that it’s not really a ‘proper’ season when we can’t be there. There’s some shocking teams in the league and relegation is very, very unlikely. Give the three young guns a decent crack at building an understanding and keep one of Keane and Mina and jettison the other. And going a step further, when Seamus sadly ceases to be a first 11choice I’d make Holgate the Captain....he seems the type who’ll give it heart and soul and leave everything on the pitch.

...to be honest Zat, I’m not convinced with Holgate. I know this will be unpopular. His attitude is first class and he did terrific seizing his chance last season, but he invariably slows the game because he’s ponderous in possession. He’ll more often than not go back to Pickford and we look a much better team playing with tempo.

i don’t think he’s particularly fast and he’s not the biggest so he can come off 2nd best physically.

We’re a bit of a mess, but despite my criticism of Keane he’d be the one I’d play with Godfrey and let them establish a partnership.
I'm glad to see someone else recognizing that Holgate is far from the ball playing defender he's made out to be by a lot of Evertonians. Not to say he's bad necessarily, although he has been at times imo, but just that he's not in any way superior to any of our other players in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.