2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real lack of quality on thr bench to change a game. Agree with others if kenny and coleman out i would play holgate as the rb, i would even try davies as the holding mid with allan dacoure

There’s something seriously wrong with our defence. I reckon Pickford is a large part of it. He seems to make the rest of them nervous. We need a proper holding midfielder too I think. Allan likes a tackle but he is also good driving forward. Gbamin or a Holgate sitting in and breaking up play would help.

there also seems to be oceans of space in front of teams when we give the ball away.

Straight from the off a decent keeper will make a massive difference. Not all of it, but i dont think a single defender we have right now is confident in front of pickford. He has zero presence. ZERO.

Straight from the off a decent keeper will make a massive difference. Not all of it, but i dont think a single defender we have right now is confident in front of pickford. He has zero presence. ZERO.
Not only this, but as a defender you need to have a decent understanding of what your keeper is going to do in certain situations. Nobody knows whether Pickford is going to stay glued to his line, or go full Leroy Jenkins in any given situation.

Not only this, but as a defender you need to have a decent understanding of what your keeper is going to do in certain situations. Nobody knows whether Pickford is going to stay glued to his line, or go full Leroy Jenkins in any given situation.
This is the thing, you want your keeper to organize the defence from the back and tell the defenders where he wants them whereas Pickford just shouts and points, there was a game a few weeks back where he pointed at Keane and said something and Keane just turned round and told him to f-off, you can see there is no relationship between defenders and goalkeeper.

Are you sure it's Everton you've been watching recently mate? I've seen a few posts of yours about how we're playing and I just don't recognise the points you're making in the team i'm watching at all. I'm not saying he hasn't made any changes to the style of play, but ultimately it's just a refinement of the same way we've played for years. James is miles better than anyone else we've had so we give him the ball more than we used to give it to Sigurdsson etc, but other than that there is no discernible difference in style. I doubt any neutral would be able to tall you how we play, because we just play generic football: pass it about a bit, knock it long a bit, get crosses into the box a lot etc. I'm not knocking it, i'm fine with us playing that way, but it's absolutely nothing like a change in footballing philosophy.
I’m with you on this one. I really don’t see much change in our style of play except them trying to play out more from the back, goal kicks etc, which actually really annoys me. But it does seem to be popular these days.
As I’ve previously said, it’s not so much the results, I’d happily take a loss if I could see a transition being made and an influence with how we play. However, I’m still confused with what we’re trying to do. Get it to james to play a quick switch or score off a set piece seems our best chance of scoring. Changing formations every week to compensate for two injured players to then have even more players out of position than is actually what’s required is just crazy to me. I’m confused watching it, im
not sure the players are too far behind me.

Real lack of quality on thr bench to change a game. Agree with others if kenny and coleman out i would play holgate as the rb, i would even try davies as the holding mid with allan dacoure
If he’d have the full backs on the bench, or even started them, sparing Davies and iwobi would have given us more options in other areas of the pitch. I’n aware they’re low down on quality but the formation changes are then there. Davies actually did a half decent job coming on against Fulham to protect a lead. Putting square pegs in round holes decreases your options elsewhere too

For some more completely useless information, if you take Klopp’s points per game from his first 30 games (48 points) when he took over from Rodgers and spread it over 38 games it turns out exactly where they finished, 60 points and 8th place. So effectively he ran a 60 points season form with his Liverpool team for 30 games, continuing the level Rodgers had them at at the start of the season (and the season before)

Ancelotti has played 29 league games and got 46 points, which works out roughly the exact same points per game. Extrapolated over a season of 38 games this would be 60 points.

So although it’s pointless to compare them (which I do agree with), if people were to compare them for any reason then over a comparable number of premier league games (CA’s 29 to Klopp’s 30) then Ancelotti is producing the same form as Klopp did when he took over Liverpool. What should also be factored in is Klopp continued the form of Rodgers team before that who had been at that level of form for the 46 games before that. Ancelotti meanwhile picked up a squad that had been nowhere near 60 points form for any stretch of time and has Substantially improved our keague. So if anything Ancelotti has had a greater impact on Everton in the short term than Klopp did on Liverpool in the league. Given the qualities of the squads they both inherited, the mentalities of those squads, the conditions they’ve had to play in (one starting at the beginning of a season with fans, one starting with a team in trouble and then a pandemic hit) it’s hard to argue that Carlo hasn’t done well so far in the league.

Of course Klopp ironed out those inconsistencies over time to improve. The challenge for Ancelotti is to do the same. Again noting that Klopp improved Liveprool in the league by 16 points the next season and then plateaud at that level for another season actually gaining a point less.

The question we’re therefore asking is can Ancelotti take us from the sort of form that gets you 60 points a season to the type that gets you 76 and CL football? With more of his own signings, more time, maybe some better luck with injuries, why not?

The last few games have been frustrating but I actually think we’re where we should be. We’ve improved but are inconsistent. We need longer to see if the arc is one of progression or regression this season though rather than reactionary responses to individual games.
Klopp got them to 2 finals in his first season

Seeing klopp mentioned a few times. Just out of interest if he came in tomorrow do you think he would get that high pressure high intensity style out of this squad. Gomes, sigurdsson, iwobi, bernard, davies, delph, tosun.....
You cant pick and choose who does that. Its one in all in.
There's 7 first team squad players ive just plucked there who we know couldnt do that.
We havent bought well enough on the whole. Plain and simple. I cant see ANY manager getting a regular tune out of them.
They just need to be moved on.

Real lack of quality on thr bench to change a game. Agree with others if kenny and coleman out i would play holgate as the rb, i would even try davies as the holding mid with allan dacour

Joke he's still picking Pickfraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.