2020/21 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scandalous shouts in here. Keane our 2nd most improved player under Ancelotti. Not a Rolls Royce CB but hardly at fault for any of goals in our losses recently if I recall. Problem isn't at CB its full back and binning Keane would exacerbate that immensely.
I tend to agree - I don't think he was great against Fulham (as a unit they were poor), but against a Leeds side that cut use through the middle like Suisse Cheese, I thought he was solid.

Outside of that he has been a our best CB by a mile since Carlo has turned up.

Scandalous shouts in here. Keane our 2nd most improved player under Ancelotti. Not a Rolls Royce CB but hardly at fault for any of goals in our losses recently if I recall. Problem isn't at CB its full back and binning Keane would exacerbate that immensely.
There's more to being a good centre half than just not being directly responsible for a goal though. I just don't think he's very good, and I think his limitations cause us a problem. I don't think he's decisive enough, I don't think he takes enough responsibility, and I don't think he's vocal enough. Those things have a knock on effect on team mates. If you've got a back 5 including a young lad who's new to the club like Godfrey, and 2 wing backs who aren't naturals, you really want your senior centre half to be taking control of situations, barking orders etc, but Keane always seems really jittery and that can spread. Ideally you want your centre halves to do their own jobs well and to be able to cover others; Keane almost never does the latter.

I don't think Keane is a problem. He's not had a consistent defence around him at all to get an understanding together, in any case, still been our best defender this season.

v Leeds (Back 3 w/ Godrey and Holgate)
v Fulham (Back 3 w/Mina and Godfrey)
v Utd (Back 2 w/ Holgate)
v Newcastle (Back 2 w/ Mina)

Him and Holgate seemed to work well when both are fully fit, hopefully we can go back to that as I'm not a fan of 3 at the back at all. It doesn't suit Keane either.

I remember Holgate chasing down players + also his leadership and snide could be very important.

For me, if he can work on reading the game then hes clear 1st choice.

Would play him with Godfrey and punt keane into oblivion.
Godfrey and Holgate together at their current levels wouldn’t work. Neither of them are aggressive or good at attacking the ball, they also both have improvements to make in positional sense. Don’t see it making us more solid at the back at the moment.

Agreed, some bonkers shouts in this thread. Problem over the last five games or so has been constant chopping and changing of personnel and formation.

There's more to being a good centre half than just not being directly responsible for a goal though. I just don't think he's very good, and I think his limitations cause us a problem. I don't think he's decisive enough, I don't think he takes enough responsibility, and I don't think he's vocal enough. Those things have a knock on effect on team mates. If you've got a back 5 including a young lad who's new to the club like Godfrey, and 2 wing backs who aren't naturals, you really want your senior centre half to be taking control of situations, barking orders etc, but Keane always seems really jittery and that can spread. Ideally you want your centre halves to do their own jobs well and to be able to cover others; Keane almost never does the latter.
You sum it up perfectly, with time he has now been at the club, he should be a leader. It’s worrying for me that Coleman seems to be the only one we have at the back and soon he’ll be gone. People need to realize nobody is saying it’s Keane’s fault we bought him for the money we did and pointing out his frailties is not blaming him for us losing games. He’s 27 so really should have the qualities you mention by now if he is ever going to get them.

All fair points.

He has been fine, is worth mentioning that he is the only ever present in a season where we have leaked goals though.

To be honest I think all our centre backs have some fairly major flaws.

Where is Brandthwaite?
How about Penno?
Brandthwaite has been on the bench recently I think?

Keane has been ok this season. I’m not sure it’s been his fault that we’ve been leaking goals. It’s a collective issue. And Pickford being a bomb scare is probably part of it.

Big centre half but not aggressive enough or a leader we are crying out for. He's pretty much okish and thats it. Mid table okish.
Filed under the Ronald McDonald Koeman era of no thought put into it. Played at burnley with a midfield camped in front of him. More exposed at Everton.
He's not alone in being on the list of overpayed for. We've been the absolute masters of it.

...we shouldn’t dismiss young Branthwaite, he might force himself into the reckoning given how classy he looked before his injury.
Interesting DCL said Godfrey is rapid and Branthwaite was name checked for pace as well.

I would hope in 1-2 seasons its Holgate,Godfrey, Branthwaite + 1 other.

As I recall the fee was very high and the potential wage was sky high as well.

£22mil with no mention of salary.

Godfrey and Holgate together at their current levels wouldn’t work. Neither of them are aggressive or good at attacking the ball, they also both have improvements to make in positional sense. Don’t see it making us more solid at the back at the moment.

Both Holgate and Godfrey seem alot more front foot than Mina or Keane.

Wow.. the knives are out in here currently.

They have been for several seasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.