2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something has gone badly wrong here? He didn’t play for U23 the other day so I presumed he’d be in today’s squad. He could easily fill the LWB place with his pace

I posted on here a few months back saying clearly the manager didn’t think he was good enough but what I can’t get my head around is, Ancelotti liked him towards the end of last season and played him for a good run of games and he really impressed. Then during the summer he was offered the chance to go on loan and play regularly and we declined the offer.

Again,earlier in the season when called upon he impressed for us and put in some very good performances in the cup games, which you would have thought would have led to him getting more minutes, as the likes of Sigurdsson, Gomes, Delph, Iwobi etc... have despite numerous disappointing performances, however he’s not even getting on the bench now ahead of the dire and that’s a concern. I think he does have certain qualities that we could use in this team at the moment, not just for his energy and determination.

I trust the manager but I do think he’s set in his ways and prefers the experienced heads which is going to be the death of him here if he continues.

I think you can make a case for swapping them today, but I just think people need to understand that it is the only way to play Gordon today.
It’s a sub with pace though... could replace Rich or DCL (with Rich moving central) or change the formation, lose a CB & move Rodriguez behind the striker.

Just crazy how slow our bench is, even Nkounkou as an option to come on at LWB to offer more pace & Width.

If neither players are ready, then we really had to keep Walcott around as an option.

It’s a sub with pace though... could replace Rich or DCL (with Rich moving central) or change the formation, lose a CB & move Rodriguez behind the striker.

Just crazy how slow our bench is, even Nkounkou as an option to come on at LWB to offer more pace & Width.

If neither players are ready, then we really had to keep Walcott around as an option.
We could do those things but you are taking off a very good player to do it is all.

Gordon looks pretty good at tracking back and defending. Something James and Richarlison have decided they don't need to do.

It was the same with Walcott, yes, he was limited going forward. But, his all round game had above average defensive attributes. Something lacking on both flanks. And more so with no full backs.

Both attacking wide player's don't defend. Full stop. How does that impact the midfield you ask?.. They run themselves ragged chasing balls instead of being disciplined central midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.