2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think it's the first time hes been good. However it's the first time I think hes shown all his attributes, not just his creativity and done it against a PL side.

I slaughtered him the other day for not doing much defensively, but he really proved me wrong on Sunday. He should a level of defensive ability and willing that I didnt think he had. He also looked like he wanted to carry the ball at speed. I thought he was excellent, and while he has had good cameos, there were numerous parts of his game that impressed on Sunday.

In that 2nd half when others were losing their heads, he kept his, and kept picking the right option under pressure. He did really well, and I'm delighted to be able to say it.

This was a big thing for me. The wave of possession and attacks was coming and nearly all of our players were panicking, playing loose passes or dwelling on the ball. He kept on getting it and making the right option and or pass relieving the pressure

Ive defended him all along and while I admit he hasnt set the world on fire and has had a couple of poor performances, I think he is a good player. He is an intelligent player, whose movement is excellent and hopefully that performance gives him a big boost as he seems to be a confidence player too.

I remember you saying that as it was in reply to a post of mine as well.

Look I don't want to try and decode the reasons why it happens but the slating of Iwobi for being lazy or not caring or not contributing when the other team has possession have always missed the mark in my opinion. That's not directed at you specifically as you're far from the only one.

His biggest problem for me continues to be the games where he gets pinned to the touchline. I still can't figure out if that's something he is doing or a tactical thing but regardless so long as it doesn't happen he's at worst a decent player capable of very good moments.

I try and call things as I see them, and I just didnt see the sort of defensive display, power and physicality how showed yesterday. I felt he had quality on the ball, an eye for a pass but was a bit of a luxury player.

That being said, i saw Iwobi for the 1st time a few years back when Arsenal defeats us 3-0 at Goodison, I think the week after the Chelsea cup win in Robertos last season. It was the first time I remember thinking Martinez was done (and the 1st time since Smith I felt it about an Everton manager, so it was quite an odd/rare feeling).

I remember thinking Iwobi would be a good/realistic signing for us back then. He was powerful, worked back for the team, had a good size and some quality. So I always kept an eye on him. In truth hes a cleverer player than I first thought, but a lot of that dogged ness had gone.

That's what really impressed me. He really used his physique and speed, which to me marks a good step forward.

He did well 1st half going forward but we were getting destroyed down side by an everton reserve reject. Would hate to see it against a much better team than Fulham who in the 2nd half pushed the 2 wing backs far to easy

He did well 1st half going forward but we were getting destroyed down side by an everton reserve reject. Would hate to see it against a much better team than Fulham who in the 2nd half pushed the 2 wing backs far to easy
This is how I saw it as well. Based on what we saw the attacking right wing back in a 343 plays to his strengths, looked dangerous. Could be a good position for him in a team that is controlling a lot of the ball where he is mainly getting used as an attacking outlet. That’s not us at the moment though, we got away with it against Fulham and even then our right hand side between him and Godfrey was an area they got a lot of joy from. Guess we’ll see today if Carlo goes for it again but against Leeds, who are going to press non stop, i’d rather have an extra man in midfield to give more options to the centre backs when trying to play out.

This is how I saw it as well. Based on what we saw the attacking right wing back in a 343 plays to his strengths, looked dangerous. Could be a good position for him in a team that is controlling a lot of the ball where he is mainly getting used as an attacking outlet. That’s not us at the moment though, we got away with it against Fulham and even then our right hand side between him and Godfrey was an area they got a lot of joy from. Guess we’ll see today if Carlo goes for it again but against Leeds, who are going to press non stop, i’d rather have an extra man in midfield to give more options to the centre backs when trying to play out.
Playing out against the press with the players we have is a recipe for disaster. Cutting out the midfield with the long game,pushing Dacoure higher and Richy and DCL holding it up for runners,is the safer option.

Playing out against the press with the players we have is a recipe for disaster. Cutting out the midfield with the long game,pushing Dacoure higher and Richy and DCL holding it up for runners,is the safer option.
That’s true but what happens is the back 5 get pinned back, there’s no out ball into the midfield (as you say), and the out ball ends up being a long ball up to DCL - it leaves the midfield two with a massive amount of ground to cover to try to catch up with play and support DCL and then get back if we turn the ball over. It doesn’t work. Having more options to play to in midfield makes it more difficult to press and cut off all the options but it doesn’t mean they have to play out all the time, the direct ball will still be a good option quite often in a game like this.

Back to his mesmerising worst today.

tbf though that's on Ancelotti today, after such a positive performance last week it was criminal to them move him over to the opposite flank and expect the same

Status
Not open for further replies.