Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
3-5-2 maybe?

...the reality is we usually end up playing a back 5.

If Davies is supporting Rodriguez on the right, I can’t see us getting behind their LB at all.

Really hope we are solid defensively, Leeds offer threat away from home but if we don’t concede for once we should have enough quality in the top third to win. Defending well is the key today.

Would've preferred to have seen Niels get his chance today, but Davies has been quietly impressive when I've seen him recently, so I'm hopeful he can step up and earn himself the Alan Harper role in this team this season, plugging any gaps that appear. COYB

I am having a hard time doing with some of the stuff Carlo is doing at the moment. Don't get me wrong, it was clever of him to try the wing backs system against Fulham and even Iwobi played well. But why play two players massively out of position with Davies and Iwobi, when it could have been one with N'Kounkou?

N'Kounkou may not be as good as we all hope, but if you are going to give the lad a spin it is safer to do so as a LWB than a straight LB.

Once again, Carlo is neglecting youth for some very poor players and that bench is next to useless against arguably the fittest team in the league - where is the pace and energy?

Don't get me wrong, it may work brilliantly and I may have egg on my face, but I'm not convinced at all about the selections.

And whilst Carlo is undoubtedly the best manager we've had in an age, he is really starting to make some bizarre decisions.

I dont mind one being out of position but as you say having both fullbacks out of position is baffling.

Kenny / Iwobi

Iwobi / Nkounkou

Would have made more sense for me.

Its the same system we played last week. Its a system only being used due to 2 key injuries. The idea Gordon and Nkounkou should play every week is based on nothing other than hope they will become established players. And that will happen in time if they are good enough. Its a complete lack of objectivity to call out Ancelotti basically for changing the side due to injuries. He didn't ask for players to be missing !!

Could be a back 4 with Godfrey RB + Holgate LB

No one is saying both Gordon and Nkounkou should play every week.

Fact is that Gordon showed more in flashes of gametime than other players starting or on the bench yet isnt even in the squad.

Nkounkou was brilliant in the cup and suffered next to delph in the last match he played...yet hes our only LB available and donkey delph is on the bench.

Its very Allardyce.

Its the same system we played last week. Its a system only being used due to 2 key injuries. The idea Gordon and Nkounkou should play every week is based on nothing other than hope they will become established players. And that will happen in time if they are good enough. Its a complete lack of objectivity to call out Ancelotti basically for changing the side due to injuries. He didn't ask for players to be missing !!

While I agree the system worked for the first half last week. A lot of our joy came from the left hand side with Richarlison and Digne bombing forward and whipping crosses in. With Digne out, it remains to be seen if it will work with this current set up and personnel today. Personally just feel Nkounkou would have been the best player to compliment Richarlison down the left side today just for his pace and willingness to get forward, also his crossing isn’t half bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.